Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

small hole, and a gap in engine tin
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

On the passenger side of the shroud over the plug area there's a small square hole. Any idea what this is for? Is there something missing?

and there's a gap between the rear engine tin and the body. Looks like either the wrong piece or there is another piece that should close the gap??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

The gap between the rear tin and body should be filled with a rubber seal. That seal missing is a good way to overheat the engine. It allows cooling air exiting the engine to get heated more by the muffler and get pulled back into the engine compartment and then cooling fan, repeatedly.

The air seals in aVW Bug should be taken as seriously as the radiators hoses in a water cooled car. Since air leaks show a lot less many don't see the problem. "Coolant" needs to be cool to work effectively!
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

is this the seal I need?

if not, any suggested vendors ?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

Best vendor is Wolfsburg West

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111813705A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

That square hole is for a clip-in captive nut for securing a small piece of tin which covers the heat riser connection to the muffler, starting with fresh air heater models. Maybe you have a head tin from a fresh air 36hp model. There is some better documentation on those motors in the 58-67 Bug forum as they were used in the mid-60's.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

Here's a shot of the snap-in nut in a later cylinder tin. The same nut would fit yours. Nearly all later left and right cylinder tins had this nut. If you find a single cylinder tin that is otherwise too rusty, you can carefully remove the nut. The nut is held in place by the two small prongs on the left and right sides. The prongs are slightly springy so that once snapped in place, they stay spread apart. To remove, push the prongs inward with a small flat screwdriver blade on each prong and just pop the nut out of the hole.

As to the engine to body gap, you have two issues. Yes, the body seal is missing. The one in your link is the wrong one; it is for a later Beetle. The type you need is for '66 and earlier.

The other issue is that, if your car really is an oval window per this Forum, then you have a later rear apron in place which would be for a 40hp engine and later. The "40hp" apron has a different shape along the top edge and does not come up as high as the "H" style apron that would've been on the oval originally. Since the 40hp apron does not come up as high, there is a larger gap to the engine rear breast plate.

But wait- the fix is easy- find a 40hp stale air rear breast plate, which is slightly longer in the front-to-rear dimension than the 36hp breast plate you now have. The 40hp plate will bolt up to your engine if you cut out the left section where the fuel pump tin is. This 40hp breast plate together with the engine seal should close up the gap completely. If you can't find a 40hp plate in case you need to drive the car immediately, you can also make an extension piece to rivet onto your current breast plate. Just make it out of thin sheetmetal, or even aluminum like a rain gutter material. Cut with tin snips. Follow the curved rear edge, just make the extension about 2-3" long. Bend an approx. 1/4" high downward lip at the rear edge for stiffness. Place the rivets approx. every 2" evenly spaced along the rear of your current breast plate, then once all is together, paint it all semi-gloss black. This work should take maybe an hour.

VW actually offered an extended rear breast plate for 36hp engines as a spare part. This was when the original H aprons were no longer being produced, and the later 40hp style apron was the official service replacement part. The extended breast plate would close up the larger gap.
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!

This IS a '57 oval, with a '55 engine. Inherited from my father-in-law. He drove the thing for the last 20 years or so, just occasionally, around Burbank. Judging by the state of things there wasn't a lot of adequate maintenance.

I'll try your suggestion and make a piece to fill the void.
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

I just finished rebuilding my '57 engine. It's been around the block without any problems. I intentionally left off the lower, heater box sheet metal.....The pieces that go under the valve tubes. After reading my reasons why, what do you guys think about it? I live in Hawaii. A cold soaked engine is never less than 80 degree's at start-up. I don't need a heater, or anything related to the heater. All the other sheet metal is in place. The engine compartment is sealed with the usual rubber edges. My thinking is the fan will "pump" air down through the cylinders and out the bottom where the escaping hot air will be swept away by the slip stream. I hate to try and out smart the Germans who designed it, but this makes sense to me, especially living in the land of eternal heat. Don't Baja Bugs have less sheet metal than this? Input is appreciated. Aloha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

wiferdill wrote:
I just finished rebuilding my '57 engine. It's been around the block without any problems. I intentionally left off the lower, heater box sheet metal.....The pieces that go under the valve tubes. After reading my reasons why, what do you guys think about it? I live in Hawaii. A cold soaked engine is never less than 80 degree's at start-up. I don't need a heater, or anything related to the heater. All the other sheet metal is in place. The engine compartment is sealed with the usual rubber edges. My thinking is the fan will "pump" air down through the cylinders and out the bottom where the escaping hot air will be swept away by the slip stream. I hate to try and out smart the Germans who designed it, but this makes sense to me, especially living in the land of eternal heat. Don't Baja Bugs have less sheet metal than this? Input is appreciated. Aloha

… your logic is logical - but I try not to second-guess the air-cooled designers - there may be a service bulletin, advising what to do, if you operate your air-cooled car in Eden...

… my advice, for longevity is to never go over 50 mph - I have a 1964 1500 engine, in my 1960 SC and it was rebuilt in 1987 - it was recommended, I never go over 50 and I never have - even now, over 30 years later - if I am ever tempted to drive over 50 mph - say, 80 mph on the turnpike, I drive my wonderful Toyota MR2

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

… my advice, for longevity is to never go over 50 mph -

more nonsense Rolling Eyes , that car cruised at 68mph from the factory. You're fine going 65+
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

wiferdill wrote:

There’s a flaw in your logic. The primary function of those tins is to provide uniform cooling of the cylinders. Without uniform cooling the cylinders would distort and have shortened life. Without the lower tins and the fins exposed to airflow under the car, the lower side will get more cooling than the upper at highway speed and at idle and slow speed the lower side will get less cooling. The tins ensure uniform cooling.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

Thanks for your perspective in the lower tins. However, with them installed, it seems they insure uniform heating of the cylinders because of the trapped air. I guess the question is whether it's better to maintain uniform heat, or enhance the cooling, even if it is uneven. Jury is still out on this question. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the small tins that fit between #1 & 2 and 3 & 4 cylinders, but the large pieces that go under the valve tubes.

Is anyone running theor engine without these tins?
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject: running without lower engine tins Reply with quote

Thanks for your perspective in the lower tins. However, your logic seems they insure uniform heating of the cylinders because of the trapped hot air. I guess the question is whether it's better to maintain uniform heat, or enhance the cooling, even if it is uneven. Jury is still out on this question. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the small tins that fit between #1 & 2 and 3 & 4 cylinders, but the large pieces that go under the valve tubes on each side.

Is anyone running their engine without these tins?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: small hole, and a gap in engine tin Reply with quote

wiferdill wrote:
Is anyone running theor engine without these tins?

Most beach buggies run without those tins, many with no tin below the upper cylinder tins except for the little deflector plate above the pushrod tubes. I've seen 36 horse engines without them in that application.

It is very important you don't run the thermostat if the lower tin box is missing. It would be hanging out in the airflow under the car and may never open at higher speeds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: