Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 rear spring arm bushings
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

hello everyone..

I am working on a 1957 Type 1 pan and the spring plate bushings were shot. I purchased new ones from West Coast Metric and am attempting to install.

I can get them on the arm but once installed, I cannot get the bushing to insert into the torsion housing and I cannot get the torsion cap to slip down on the outer bushing. These are the correct parts..not the later lugged style.

I was using Talcum powder as a lubricant but I still cannot get the cap even remotely close enough to get bolts on there to cinch the cap down.

are the WCM parts oversize (they are supposedly made in Germany) or am I missing something else?

What have others done to install these ?

Thanks!
Chris

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

I use silicon grease on the rubber bushings and long bolts to start with. I get the long bolts cranked down and then one at a time remove them and replace with the original bolts.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

Thanks Jim...I will see if I have long enough bolts...it seemed like it could deform the plate but will try it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

monomanx wrote:
Thanks Jim...I will see if I have long enough bolts...it seemed like it could deform the plate but will try it out.

Thats why you need the silicon grease. So they slip into place.

Silicon sealant that you buy from Home Depot is not the same as the silicon grease. You can purchase the grease from Amazon. Heres the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E5E59G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

monomanx wrote:

Wait!Wait!

When I look at your photo, you have the wrong rubber bushings for a 1957.
The bushings you have are the outer bushings for 1969 on with part number 111 511 245E.

You need 4 bushings 111 511 245A.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

Nice catch. For some reason I did not notice the cut out lip on the bushing, till you made me do a double take!

The earlier ones did not have that cut in them!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Yes Jim, not only that cut in them but they also differ in inner and outer diameter.
See photo :
Upper=111 511 245E (outers 1969 on)
Lower=111 511 245A (inner and outer through 1959)

Chris needs 4 rubber bushings 111 511 245A for his 1957.
Do not attempt to use the later rubber bushings.It is impossible to mount your torsion arm covers and if you try this they will deform.

Regards, Armand
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018

Last edited by Ovally on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:29 am; edited 4 times in total
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

I have made these to help the assembly. A standard puller can be used with them. For sale soon.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

Ovally wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Yes Jim, not only that cut in them but they also differ in inner and outer diameter.
Upper=111 511 245E (outers 1969 on)
Lower=111 511 245A (inner and outer through 1959)

Chris needs 4 rubber bushings 111 511 245A for his 1957.
Do not attempt to use the later rubber bushings.It is impossible to mount your torsion arm covers and if you try this they will deform.

Regards, Armand

Hey Armand, thanks for that comparison! I had never stacked the early and later ones up before. Pretty cool to be able to see the difference in size.

Man, you are a wealth of information! Glad you share that super power with us average Joes! Thank you!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

All,
Thanks for the input. For some reason I was not receiving notifications that you all had responded. I only had the old versions to compare to. They were so noodled out there was no way to know what was the correct OD and ID. I will have to order the 111245 511As.

I ended up machining an internal mandrel and chucking the bushings up in my lathe. While running the lathe, I used a right angle grinder with a sanding disk and reduced the OD to be a tight fit in the bushing retainer/cap. It did work...and I was able to install. The pan is still on a cart and not all set up so new bushings will be ordered and reinstalled.

Thanks again! Awesome responses by everyone
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 rear spring arm bushings Reply with quote

Here is a picture from when I changed bushings.
Press in one by one, not both at the same time.
I learned that the hard way....

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: