Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

Did anyone else follow this auction?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-volkswagen-beetle-17/

It is a really well preserved example in Coral Red, original paint except for a respray on the right side. It's in Canada and got to $17,000 USD but didn't meet reserve (BaT doesn't post the reserve, so who knows how close it got.) The chatter in the comments seem to think it was a reasonable price for the car, but I think it's worth at least low $20k region.

Perhaps being in Canada was a limiting factor. Perhaps BaT audience is the wrong crowd to appreciate a car like this. Thoughts?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

BAT just seems like a horrible place to sell original VWs. Maybe overdone buses but original stuff just always seems to do so poorly on there. I think 17k is low for this.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

Wonder what kind of damage for the respray?
Right rear fender appears to a replacement.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

BaT can be the wrong place to sell a car.

This car only went to $31 and I think it should have done much better.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1958-volkswagen-beetle-9/

This is why there is a reserve. One of the problems with an auction is that no matter what you are willing to pay, if there is no one bidding against you, you can't win the car if reserve is not met. This is why on BaT there is a contact seller button. Many of the RNM cars sell after the auction when a deal is made for more than the reserve.

Don
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
One of the problems with an auction is that no matter what you are willing to pay, if there is no one bidding against you, you can't win the car if reserve is not met. This is why on BaT there is a contact seller button. Many of the RNM cars sell after the auction when a deal is made for more than the reserve.

Unfortunately, the "Contact Seller" button disappears when the auction times out. So one would have to preemptively contact the seller prior to the end of the auction to establish a line of communication. Once the auction ends, the blinders are up and that's a big source of frustration for both buyers and sellers. Maybe that's by design by BAT so the seller must re-list.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

BAT sucks as a buyer, all the reviews I've read state they suck as a seller. They used to be good for some cool, real bring a trailer type cars. Not anymore
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

looks solid enough, for an east coast car you'd expect a lot more rust issues. On the west coast, I would say the high bid wasn't far off what i'd say was ok, not a steal nor that over priced for someone wanting an original car.
rillette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

I went to look at the car on Monday morning. It is a nice car for sure, but, at the same time it is also not what the BAT over optimistic description might lead you to think it is. It has had a very obvious overall respray at some point (overspray on a several locations, totally painted over seals and badly tapped window seals for example) and that was way before the passenger side got repainted. So, on paint alone, the car was resprayed and the passenger side has been resprayed at least two times already. The passenger door is not the door the car left the factory with, so, so much for the all original body panels bit in the description. Since the car has quite little rust, the door was not replaced because of a rot issue, it must then have been replaced because of collision damage. The inner lower A pillar was also resprayed and I can only think that this was to cover damage repairs. I think that the car was hit at some point on the passenger side and actual damage/repair is hard to evaluate without opening some things up. Also the wear on the interior is hard to reconcillate with a 50k miles car. I think that you can safely assume that it’s been around the clock at least once, again not matching the BAT description. I don’t mean to trash talk the car at all, as I said, it’s a nice oval, but with issues and to my sense, the BAT description is misleading as to the actual condition. I think that the bidding actually stopped pretty much on the dime for this car.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

rillette wrote:
I don’t mean to trash talk the car at all, as I said, it’s a nice oval, but with issues and to my sense, the BAT description is misleading as to the actual condition. I think that the bidding actually stopped pretty much on the dime for this car.

Don't apologize for your opinion. It's not trash talking, it's simply candor! Your assessment of the passenger door and lower A pillar respray seem consistent with 60ragtop's note that the right rear fender looks like a replacement. (If you look at it closely, it's missing the three drain holes at the bottom.) Perhaps a side-swipe incident earlier in its life. The description in the auction paints (no pun intended) a much rosier perception of the car. Glad you could shed some light on it.

Hopefully all sellers and descriptions are not so "puffed" on BAT. I just bought a car last week (not a VW) and I asked LOADS of questions and scrutinized MANY pics, but the rubber will meet the road when it arrives later this week. (Fingers crossed! Pray)

bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

This is a good deal if you're in the UK
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2403200
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
This is a good deal if you're in the UK
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2403200

Is it?
12,000 British pounds is almost $16,000.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

Yes, that UK agave car is fairly priced imo - for the UK market

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Coral Red sedan on BaT Reply with quote

There’s a ragtop oval on BAT now, already at $15k but no proof given that it is an original rag, there’s already a debate over the handle.
My sense is that BAT is a good place to sell modified VWs, but not correctly done ones. It’s not a collector site, it’s a site for non VW people looking for a nice car that they can drive. For example a mediocre Super Beetle with a big engine sold for $25k last week.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: