Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooling system anomaly (overflow tank…overflows?)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system anomaly (overflow tank…overflows?) Reply with quote

Phaedrus wrote:
I'm not convinced there's any need to be alarmed...

Dan over at Louis Foreign Auto could sort you out Smile

This is where I am…Dan knows the Tiico, especially this one, pretty well. I'll keep monitoring it. Maybe not using it as a daily driver is part of the problem… Very Happy I hear things that ain't there.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling system anomaly (overflow tank…overflows?) Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
...No head space in the pressure tank and when cool the overflow tank drops back to MAX or just below...

Okay - it is quite possible that you simply had the overflow quite full to begin with and opened it while it was in 'expansion mode'.

We all tend to stress a bit about coolant levels and engine heat - so it is normal to read too much into a situation.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system anomaly (overflow tank…overflows?) Reply with quote

Any air in the system will eventually find its way out via the vent holes in the top of the overflow tank and if the tank is over full it will squirt water out along with the air. I had this happen after I removed the heater core to replace the fan and it wasn't a big deal (and it wasn't a blown water jacket seal which seems to be the default diagnosis on here for anything related to the cooling system).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling system anomaly (overflow tank…overflows?) Reply with quote

Have you tested the blue cap???

This sounds exactly like when mine have failed -- air bubbles and all. We had three fail within our first year, one black one from FLAPS, and two blue ones that were equally undesirable.

We carry two extras now, all made by Blau.

Here's the test:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8Ew43mNg4

Thinking worst-case is never a good idea in Vanagon ownership, not good for blood pressure management.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: