Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

79 bus. Firewall is out. Straps are out. Two vapor connections on top are out. Two fuel connections at the bottom are out. Big filler hose is out. I can lift the tank about an inch, but it won’t go all the way up, and that is not nearly enough for the two tubes at the bottom to clear and be able to slide it out. What’s the trick? Help!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

Unhook the sending unit connections then push up from the bottom outlets tilting the tank higher in the front and bring it straight back.

Sometimes you have to wiggle it around some....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

you are there. Just have to make sure nothing is holding it in place. There is a foam pad on the bottom that will fall off but it may be hanging up.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

Right. It doesn't just pull right out freely. You do have to work at it a bit. IIRC, the top anchoring straps have to be bent up and out a little. But it's been a few years since I have done this...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bagger04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

On my 79 with automatic I had to loosen rear mounts and let engine drop a little with a jack, came right out.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

Bagger04 wrote:
On my 79 with automatic I had to loosen rear mounts and let engine drop a little with a jack, came right out.

You can get the tank out with the engine in on later Bays ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Bagger04 wrote:

IMO it is easier and faster to just remove the engine, but it can be done by removing everything on top of the engine and lowering the engine and transmission as a unit a couple of inches.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

Removing the fuel tank without dropping the engine
finkelstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
crukab wrote:
Bagger04 wrote:

IMO it is easier and faster to just remove the engine, but it can be done by removing everything on top of the engine and lowering the engine and transmission as a unit a couple of inches.

Its not too bad. Takes longer to jimmy the fuel filler neck on than anything else.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How do you ACTUALLY get the fuel tank out? Reply with quote

Lets us know how it was going back in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: