Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I actually apply seam sealer?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

I searched but did not see a how to...

I have some nicely cleaned up seams and it is time to apply new seam sealer before doing the full body repaint. I have some of the 3m stuff with the special gun and the mixing tip. The thing is, I have no idea jow to apply it so that the final product will look good/look "factory" when I am done.

What's the technique here... tape on both sides of the seam? How do i get the sealer down into the seam so that I dont need to worry about water intrusion, but at the same time end up with a bead that looks good on the outside? Hopefully someone here has some tips! Thanks im advance!
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

Tape along the both sides of the seam as you mentioned. Fill the seam with your sealer then run your finger down the seam. Remove tape before it sets up. That's how I did it.

If I were to do it again, I'd be extra diligent that the tape edge just crests the start of the seam radius into the seam. Leaves a cleaner finish.

Others may have a different method.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

The tape thing gives a nice clean edge...I don't bother though. Run a bead and smooth with my finger. If you looked at the factory work, I believe it was just applied with a gun and thats it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

At an automotive paint store, you will find that they sell different types of seam sealers. Some are meant for areas that will be covered by carpet (like a trunk and are painted on with a brush) and they are a softer "set", usually one part. For the exterior seams, they have two part seam sealers that you can sand after you apply it. Read the products instructions and it will tell you if you need to apply it to bare or primed metal. You still have to remove the rust first...
robbiecanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

Use 3m whatever you do.. either the heavy body, bare metal seam sealer, or controlled flow(self leveling, gets real smooth) all work great. Been using them for 15 years now. Somethings it helps after you use a acid brush or your finger to smooth it out, and once it tacks up a little to run a rag with some thinner on it over the seam sealer to help it smooth it out.
84' westfalia 1.8t
87' 4runner
91' 2.9 vr6 coupe
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

Working a caulk gun seems Easy enough, but there are skills one learns to form a perfect bead without tooling.

Most people seem to make an ungodly mess when caulking.

So many variables........
Size of hole,
Angle of cut on the nozzle,
Speed of gun movement,
Speed of squeezing dispenser trigger,
Angle you hold the gun,
Pushing the bead,
Pulling the bead,

It is all a task learned by practice.

Have plenty of rags and a can of the prooer solvent.
Odds are that By the time you finish, your seams will be much nicer than the first ones you did.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the recommendations, very helpful... I will try out the tape and finger technique and may try the solvent rag for smoothing out as well. For background, i tried one seam and it quickly became apparent that i needed to rethink my approach... I am using the 3m bare metal seam sealer, one of the issues there is that it uses a special mixing tip (the same one used by the panel bond for those who have used that product) and the size of the hole in the tip means you are definitely working with an excess of material... not a fine tip. Y any means. I will try it out again with your advice in mind. Thanks for all of the guidance!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

Personally, I'd step away from the epoxy seam sealer.

3M 08405 is all you really need for a quality job.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I actually apply seam sealer? Reply with quote

Opinions vary, but I'm complete opposite agreement than Dave. The two-part epoxy sealers are SO much better and more durable than the single part products that it's definitely worth using them whenever possible.

Where in Seattle are you? I can't promise it, but I may be able to swing by and at least show on at least one seam how to do this.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: