Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice on short block rebuild kit
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

I stumbled on this short block kit here on the classifieds:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1405521

That seems like a good deal, but I'm assuming no warranty- so I am wondering if anyone knows any vendors who offer similar kits with a warranty for around the same price? Thx

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

SB,

Are there no good VW machinist in your area? Personally, I would rather have the original parts reworked, the go with unknown quality. It may come with an Empi crank like this.

http://www.ebuggies.com/69mm-Direct-Drilled-Cast-C...vSEALw_wcB

Notice that this crank is cast not forged like the OEM. Granted, there are thousands of engines running cast cranks, but you don't know the crank's condition unless you have it magnafluxed. A friend wanted to do a budget rebuild (against my advice), when the crank arrived, the box rattled from the pieces inside.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

For a 1600 I would look into remanufactued parts through a VW machine shop like DPR or somebody. I had factory rods rebuilt at a local non vw machinist and just the small ends of the rods were $150.00 Shocked

http://dprmachine.com/products/crankshafts-type-i/
http://dprmachine.com/products/vw-connecting-rods/
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

I would hold off buying anything until all your core parts have been evaluated.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

sb,
No value there, as 95% of the new parts that Carter's peddles are chy-knees.
How I found-out: about 3yrs ago, this gent was setup for 'Mail order only' in a tiny industrial suite about 2 miles away from my home. Never noted any foot traffic at the storefront, but he did have some decent feedback here on TS & elsewhere.
Except for a few email exchanges, I never dealt w/ him - but in all fairness, his prices were average & he did answer all my ? regarding country-of-origin, eventually admitting the "c" word.
I soon tuned-out & then noticed that he had moved (now appears to be operating from Tustin, CA).
These 2 posts are by him, aka 'gerald canter': https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_author=gerald+canter
Another unflattering thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577274
Bottom line is you could very likely do better, & keep it much closer to home. One jobber to avoid however: GEX (Booneville, AR).
So ...... perhaps try Roy (MOFOCO) - he's closer than Calif & sports a great reputation.
Fair warning, G' luck & note his prices start @ $250 without a crank: http://www.mofoco.com/category/Engine_Kits/c188
sb001 wrote:
I stumbled on this short block kit here on the classifieds:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1405521
That seems like a good deal, but I'm assuming no warranty- so I am wondering if anyone knows any vendors who offer similar kits with a warranty for around the same price? Thx

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.

Last edited by FeelthySanchez on Sat May 19, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
SB, Are there no good VW machinist in your area? Personally, I would rather have the original parts reworked, the go with unknown quality.

I also chose to have a VW machine shop check my parts and machine as necessary and supply bearings of correct size, about 1.5 years ago. I also had them assemble the gears/main onto the crank, after that most is just bolt together.

Had line bore, case savers, rebuild of the German heads; my camshaft and crankshaft did not need machining.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

check the case out first.if it's good then get a new 74mm stroke crank!! and the rest of what you need.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

He doesn't say if the crank is cast or forged... so assume cast.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

My go to place is bughaus in Tulsa, there are no reputable VW shops in Arkansas anymore. GEX is an hour away, won't be going there.
Anyways, even bughaus states on their website that they sell cast cranks as forged are either non-available new anymore or too expensive to stock. That does NOT mean that bughaus cannot get me a forged crank, or (as zundfolge stated above) that my crank I got with this pile of parts cannot be salvaged, I'm just kicking tires around while waiting to see if it can. TBH I don't even know if that sucker is forged or cast did not look...

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
sb,
No value there, as 95% of the new parts that Carter's peddles are chy-knees.
How I found-out: about 3yrs ago, this gent was setup for 'Mail order only' in a tiny industrial suite about 2 miles away from my home. Never noted any foot traffic at the storefront, but he did have some decent feedback here on TS & elsewhere.
Except for a few email exchanges, I never dealt w/ him - but in all fairness, his prices were average & he did answer all my ? regarding country-of-origin, eventually admitting the "c" word.
I soon tuned-out & then noticed that he had moved (now appears to be operating from Tustin, CA).
These 2 posts are by him, aka 'gerald canter': https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_author=gerald+canter
Another unflattering thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577274
Bottom line is you could very likely do better, & keep it much closer to home.

Wait a sec, I thought this place sounded familiar--I think there was a to-do with him trying to pass off painted roof racks as stainless steel a while back...?
Anyhoo, I'll just sit back and contemplate life before ordering anything...

1600 SP engine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and just buy a new CB cw forged crank and flywheel. A new stock cam and lifters. Have a local machine shop check the case and rebuild the rods. And pickup the rest of the parts. Yes, you'll spend more but have a much better running engine.

Also the "kit" doesn't include a new oil pump... it should.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

Id not buy bearings until I have determined the case bore diameter. if case is align bored, standard bearing wont fit right. As for warrantee, it is difficult to get a warrantee on parts like this other than they are dimensionally as stated or for damage prior to you assembling them, you should be able to return parts that dont fit or are damaged as received. , unless all sales are final or such. But once ran in a motor, if say a cam goes flat, it would be difficult to get that covered as the seller has no control on how you assembled it, broke it in, etc.... Usually longer term warrantee if any would be on an assembled engine that the builder has broken in already . or the warrantee from a builder may require that the builder take apart the engine to determine cause of failure.

Good luck my friend, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Well actually, yes it does... but like I said, I'll mull things over and wait to hear an assessment on the existing crank before making a decision.

1600 SP engine
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Well actually, yes it does... but like I said, I'll mull things over and wait to hear an assessment on the existing crank before making a decision.

IMHO, even though its not counter weighted, VW built one of the toughest OEM cranks ever made. Unless you ran it low on oil repeatability, the crank may not even need to be turned. In many cases, I have seen the crank check out fine, but the cases need to be aligned bored. This usually is caused by people pushing the engine a little too hard for a non-counter weighted crank. I would wait to pull the trigger on any purchase until you get your engine torn down, and checked out. In most cases, I worry about the condition of the case, more then the internals. If it needs to be aligned bored, I would also consider having it decked as well.

Even though you might have to ship off components, its better to spend a few more $$s and have a little longer down time. It could mean the difference between a 30K engine, and one that gets 100K.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
For a 1600 I would look into remanufactued parts through a VW machine shop like DPR or somebody. I had factory rods rebuilt at a local non vw machinist and just the small ends of the rods were $150.00 Shocked
/

Jose at DPR sold me a set of rebuilt stock 1600 rods.. they were dead nuts in every way. I think they were around $110 shipped, that's with big and small ends plus end to end balance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on short block rebuild kit Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
...my crank I got with this pile of parts...

if we're talking about the same crankshaft.. maybe you have a better view of it up close after cleaning it up, but from the photos it really looked in bad shape. I get that every mechanic and "mechanic" has a different perspective on used parts and tolerances. At the same time it's a risky chance trying to reuse a crankshaft that was blackened or blued from a bearing problem.. especially if you don't even take the crankshaft to a machine shop and get it turned down past the damaged metal. Maybe some guys have had different experiences in the past and done just fine with burned cranks, I don't know. But as a professional mechanic with high standards I say pick something else.

As far as the rebuild kit goes I can't say that a 'kit' will save you much money in the long run.. you'll spend a little more in shipping costs sourcing each individual part or set of parts from different places, but overall you'll end up with an engine set up for long term success.

As an example I bought my cam, lifters, oil pump, bearings, valve springs and retainers, pushrod tubes, solid rocker shafts and seal kit from Aircooled.net in a series of two or three purchases. Exhaust valves came from the samba classifieds, as did NOS rod nuts and all missing engine tin and thermostat. All of my tin was powdercoated locally after test fitting. My rods were rebuilt/no core from DPR; the re-used flywheel was resurfaced by Memphis Motor Werks locally, and my rotating parts were balanced by a local speed shop who also polished the crank (reused VW std/std). New AA pistons and cylinders were got on a trade locally. I could go on but the point is if you buy kits, you'll inevitably end up with extra (and junk) parts that you can't use.. there is no one size fits all kit.

The end
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: