Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Good Morning,
Yesterday I picked up the dual snorkel air cleaner that I believe is appropriate for a '68. Other than the cable, what do I need to hook this up to the thermostat? My engine was changed at some point. There is no engine number, but a later single snorkel version is on it, the one with the springy waxy thermo valve and handle on the side. I like things to be as authentic as reasonably possible, but is this doable with a bit of hardware? I'm not even sure there is a thermostat in place.

Thank you,
Justin

Last edited by Justin1958 on Sat May 19, 2018 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Hi Justin

Post a picture so that we can be certain which air cleaner you have .

The cable operated air cleaner is connected to a lever on the air shroud flap. The cable and lever will not be easy to find.

You will also need a functional thermostat in order for it all to work as designed.
Justin1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the 1968 air cleaner that I would like to install in my 1968 Bug. It requires the cable to control the flap by the thermostats expansion/contraction.

What I have in place now has this:

There is no thermostat mounted by the rod tubes on the right side of the engine.

So,,,did some later replacement engines not have a thermostat? Wouldn't this be essential to warm up, not for the carb and fuel atomization but for basic engine warmup and cooling. (I'm in NY, the car came from CA) If there is not one there can I really trust that the flaps in the shroud are fully open? Do you think I'll find the rod the thermostat attaches to or is that likely to have disappeared too.

I'd prefer to have the '68 air cleaner but it is not something I need to do right now.

Thank you all as always for your insght,
Justin

PS. These are not my photos but Samba ones I found online. If this is not cool I can delete them.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Best option would be a bicycle shop hand brake cable modified to accuate the lever on the air cleaner.
Does you 68 engine have thermostat and flaps installed currently?
The cable you are referring to is hard to find, one was for sale a month or so ago in the classifieds and man I missed snagging it by an hour or so.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Best option would be a bicycle shop hand brake cable modified to accuate the lever on the air cleaner.

Bicycle cables are designed to work by being pulled. The air cleaner bowden cable operates the the flap by pushing it.

The bowden "cable" is actually a solid wire with a spring formed at one end.

How were you able to accomplish this with a bicycle cable ?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Home Depot (and others) carry small rolls of variable gauge wire that might work as the "push" cable for opening the flaps.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justin1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

No thermostat. Not sure if these mysterious replacement engines had them, so that is another question. There is no engine number and I was told the dealer did it and that the engines came from Brazil. Not saying that is true, but that is what I was told.

Justin
PS, I could make the cable with some very stiff piano wire and the casing from an old manual choke or hood release cable.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

You can find the correct parts to hook the bowden cable back up. It will be a bit of a search but they are out there!

You need to have the correct 1968-70' R/S directional flap in your fan shroud and the thermostat hooked up for the bowden cable and parts to work the oil bath warm air flap.

I posted pictures above of the correct parts you need.

The cable connected to the oil bath makes a stock VW engine look correct like on my 69.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

wcfvw69 great photos. My 68 has all of the items connected and functioning. Only way for proper operation. The spring near the air cleaner is there but no loop on it darnit. That cable is practically like that rare metal unobtanium.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Justin1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

wcfvw69, can I have yours? It would make everything so much easier.

Thank you for the great pictures. Makes a whole lot more sense now.
Justin
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
wcfvw69 great photos. My 68 has all of the items connected and functioning. Only way for proper operation. The spring near the air cleaner is there but no loop on it darnit. That cable is practically like that rare metal unobtanium.

They pop up for sale here and on Ebay occasionally. Some of the remaining big VW salvage yards have them around as well. You just need to do the searching. I bought a NOS spring cable and sheath a few months back for a spare.

The picture of the fan shroud in raw metal was one I found as an old VW shop. He had a pile of shrouds to scrap. I saw it in the pile with the flaps and cable parts. I grabbed it for $10 bucks.

Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Nice job !
It looks perfect .

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

The cable connected to the oil bath makes a stock VW engine look correct like on my 69.

Except Justin's 68 uses the dual snorkel air cleaner, this picture is not correct for his application.

Justin, try Derrick at Way Out Salvage: http://www.wayoutsalvage.com/

This is where I found mine, considering his stock of parts he may well have another that he would ship to you.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Would a 68 air cleaner set up,work on a dual port fan shroud?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

You mean use the Bowden cable for the 68 air cleaner on a dual port setup? Well, the passenger side fan shroud flap would have to have the "arm" that the cable attaches to, and the passenger side dual port head would have to have the opening that the pushrod goes down through... I'm not sure either of these is the case, but if so I don't see why not.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

You mean use the Bowden cable for the 68 air cleaner on a dual port setup? Well, the passenger side fan shroud flap would have to have the "arm" that the cable attaches to, and the passenger side dual port head would have to have the opening that the pushrod goes down through... I'm not sure either of these is the case, but if so I don't see why not.

If I can get all the parts,I'll give it a try. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justin1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

I have discovered that I don't have the thermostat and I don't have the flap linkage either. I'll stick with the later air cleaner that I have for now.

Could this ever have been correct? Did every engine have this system of was it eliminated on later replacement engines? The bottom of the shroud does have the holes for the flap arms.
Thank you again and again,
Justin
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Make your own out of a lawn mower throttle cable. most of them have the stiff wire for the cable, cut one end off, remove the wire from the sheath, cut sheath/Bowden cable to length then insert the cable back in, adjust the length to where you need & clamp the wire to an extension or rod & wrap the wire around it to make the spring portion. After that, get one of the lead or aluminum crimp ferrules from the wire/cable section of the hardware store & crimp it to the end so that it can be clipped into the lever on the air cleaner.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Justin1958 wrote:
I have discovered that I don't have the thermostat and I don't have the flap linkage either. I'll stick with the later air cleaner that I have for now.

Could this ever have been correct? Did every engine have this system of was it eliminated on later replacement engines? The bottom of the shroud does have the holes for the flap arms.
Thank you again and again,
Justin

This bowden cable system was installed on 1968 through 1970 bugs, buses and Ghias.

Dragpan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Air Cleaner Bowden Cable Reply with quote

Hello. I was happy to get my hands on a proper dual snorkel bath for my 1968 Bug. Unfortunately it now has a 1972 motor and 1972 non oil bath air cleaner that I am swapping out. Along with not having the Bowden cable setup I have a vacuum hose that goes to the preheating mechanism. Can I just plug that off when I switch over to the oil bath? Will it cause any problems? Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: