Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

@#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Took out all the glass (except door windows) during the repaint and re-installing with new rubber from GW. I did the front windshield by myself in about 30mins. Easy peazy! The back window is another story!! Holy f#@$stick, its near impossible to do this solo from what I can tell. It’s definitely a two person job. I haven’t gotten it done yet, but it seems that once the top or bottom seal is over the edge of the window frame, you need to have someone on the inside pushing that part which was just done, out with about 20-30 lbs of force so the other person outside can try to push the opposite seal close enough to the lip so that when the person inside pulls the cord, the rubber lip is close enough to the window frame edge to grab on. Don’t know if you can vicualize it, but that’s the only way I see it fitting.

Anyone got any other tips or recs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

It's highly recommended to have someone pushing on the outside of the window while you're pulling on the cord. You got lucky with the front windshield by doing it alone. I use silicone spray to lube up the seal lips, but it can make a mess--soapy water is also an option.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Glad for the heads up. I had a deal with a local glass guy to come do a few windshields an the vanagon hatch. He missed the appointment and never called. So I’ve been thinking of doing the vanagon myself. Not anymore!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Good luck, those things kick my ass. There is no comparison with the back to the fr.ont. What was wrong with the old seal?
I get them in as far as I can and then beat them in with a rubber mallet or with my flat hand. Beat it and then go inside and pull the lip over inch by inch.
Once in a while with different vendors seals they fall in, but that is rare.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Good luck, those things kick my ass. There is no comparison with the back to the fr.ont. What was wrong with the old seal?
I get them in as far as I can and then beat them in with a rubber mallet or with my flat hand. Beat it and then go inside and pull the lip over inch by inch.
Once in a while with different vendors seals they fall in, but that is rare.

Stacy

I haven’t beat on them with a rubber mallet but I’m close smashing the heck out of the rear window and go open air in the back!! Smile. Argghhh so frustrating!!

I replaced the seals because they were old. Plus I just wanted to cut it out rather try to save them, mainly because it was easier. Haha.

The 4 side windows were also pretty easy. Had my wife help, but didn’t really need two people to do it. One of the things I did to help was spray the seal and the window frame liberally with soapy water.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Wish I had some tips but I don’t, only have this to look forward to. So PLEASE POST the winning technique!

Am guessing the open air no window let nature run ruffle your drapes idea will seem pretty nifty for about a beer or two.... Very Happy

Persevere! And good luck!
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Wish I had some tips but I don’t, only have this to look forward to. So PLEASE POST the winning technique!

Am guessing the open air no window let nature run ruffle your drapes idea will seem pretty nifty for about a beer or two.... Very Happy

Persevere! And good luck!

Yep, I’ve attempted the rear window about 3 times solo and 3 times with my wife’s assistance. Got really close twice. I think I might have figured out the technique but might need someone with a bit more muscle. I’ll let you know if I’m able to get it in. Otherwise, I’ll be taking it to Safelite!!!
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It's highly recommended to have someone pushing on the outside of the window while you're pulling on the cord. You got lucky with the front windshield by doing it alone. I use silicone spray to lube up the seal lips, but it can make a mess--soapy water is also an option.

I wonder if silicone would help over the soapy water. At this point I’ll try anything...
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Boo...I'm about to do this to take care of some rust. Front was cake by myself.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

I personally do not like to use Silicone. If Glass cleaner will not do it I use WD40. Remember that before pulling the rope that the rubber fkange needs to be right up against the Pinchweld and all the rope is doing is pulling the lip over.
Back the van up against a wall, wipe the rubber and the body down with a wet wipe of WD40 and set the window in the opening and brace someone up against the wall Firmly pushing the window in place and following the rope with their open palms as you pull the rope. Once in a while stop nad give the glass a good open handed slap. You will not break the glass, just keep slapping it in as you pull the rubber over the Pinchweld, use some type of tool to pull the lip over as you pull the rope you need some other way to get it in.
Firm pressure and persistence. If you can't get, screw Safelite their guys only do glue in stuff and the old guys are gone. Look on Craigslist or go a Local Body Shop they'll have a real glass guy that can handle that job.
If you were closer I'd come and do it.,

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I personally do not like to use Silicone. If Glass cleaner will not do it I use WD40. Remember that before pulling the rope that the rubber fkange needs to be right up against the Pinchweld and all the rope is doing is pulling the lip over.
Back the van up against a wall, wipe the rubber and the body down with a wet wipe of WD40 and set the window in the opening and brace someone up against the wall Firmly pushing the window in place and following the rope with their open palms as you pull the rope. Once in a while stop nad give the glass a good open handed slap. You will not break the glass, just keep slapping it in as you pull the rubber over the Pinchweld, use some type of tool to pull the lip over as you pull the rope you need some other way to get it in.
Firm pressure and persistence. If you can't get, screw Safelite their guys only do glue in stuff and the old guys are gone. Look on Craigslist or go a Local Body Shop they'll have a real glass guy that can handle that job.
If you were closer I'd come and do it.,

Stacy

Good stuff Stacy, especially the tip on Safelite!! I’ll look for a real window shop if I give up. Thanks!!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

The last one that I set I seated the vertical edges first then worked the top/bottom. That way it seemed to pull itself in rather than push itself back out.
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Yep, it sucks! I did this a month or two ago, took probably 2 hours. No special tricks other than use the rope, have someone on the inside. I found getting one side in, then having my wife on the inside using a carpenters pencil (or chopstick or something like that) to kind of pre-flip the seal over before pulling the rope. and lots and lots of rubber mallet banging from the outside. I was sure it would shatter, but it didnt. Some luck getting one side in, then hammering end on from the other side to push it in further. I tried to kind of flex the middle of the glass outwards as well when pushing it in the corners. it was hard work for sure, my abs hurt the next couple days

Basically persistence and yeah its bloody frustrating and hard but if we can do it so can you!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

paint can openers are very handy for working the glass rubber..
both to pop it out and pull it in..

sturdy handle/shaft and a light turn on the end.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

I have done lots of windows and for me I find that using two ropes overlapped at the vertical sides works best. I can seat each side and then work the top and bottom. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

What is the best way to remove old and keep the seal? I will be looking at some rust repair this summer. As of now I just want to pull out the bottom passenger corner to look at the rust. If I could just pop that out and then take care of the rust Id be good. If I dont have to remove the whole thing that would be best as many issues on here.

Thanks
Pat
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Mulcheese wrote:
What is the best way to remove old and keep the seal? I will be looking at some rust repair this summer. As of now I just want to pull out the bottom passenger corner to look at the rust. If I could just pop that out and then take care of the rust Id be good. If I dont have to remove the whole thing that would be best as many issues on here.

Thanks
Pat

The side windows can be pushed out with slow, slteady force, like if someone were to be using their feet along the edges of the seal. Just be sure to have someone on the outside to catch the window, lest they fall to the ground and then you have to buy new windows. I recommend using suction cup holders on the outside whenever dealing with replacing windows. I’ve caught the windows a few times by the handle of the suction cup holders when they unexpectedly popped out. When I cut out my old seals, I rigged the holders with rope so that if it popped out accidentally it wouldn’t crash to the ground.

Here is a pic.

dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

OP - I dont have any advice for your rear hatch window sorry...

...but this topic is perfect timing for I want to get my windows tinted. When you push out the window with your feet, does the window seal come out with it? I recall you stated you cut the window seal, so I am figuring you remoed the seal as much as you could and then pushed. Can you provide more insight?

I saw on you tube a recommendation to use a weed-whacker cord for the reinstall instead of a rope...anyone try this?

looking for other tips for removing the side sliders and the rear passenger side windows. I saw a post indicating using a spreader to get the sliders out...

Ride-Fly wrote:
Mulcheese wrote:

Thanks
Pat

The side windows can be pushed out with slow, slteady force, like if someone were to be using their feet along the edges of the seal. Just be sure to have someone on the outside to catch the window, lest they fall to the ground and then you have to buy new windows. I recommend using suction cup holders on the outside whenever dealing with replacing windows. I’ve caught the windows a few times by the handle of the suction cup holders when they unexpectedly popped out. When I cut out my old seals, I rigged the holders with rope so that if it popped out accidentally it wouldn’t crash to the ground.

Here is a pic.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:
When you push out the window with your feet, does the window seal come out with it?
[/quote]
Yes
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: @#$&!!!! Rear hatch window re-install is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!!! Reply with quote

Be careful to not use too thin a cord. It will cut the gasket BTDT. I use para cord and it works well. Maybe 3/16 inch thick.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: