Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

So what's the deal with the A/C?
I don't mean WHY does it fail....I mean HOW TO FIX it?
It is a rare day that a properly working air conditioner is seen in these.
I've owned 7 of them and the best I did was get one to run for 6 months after dropping $1000 into it.
What needs to be altered?
Is one compressor superior? I've heard the newer models (87 and newer?) have a 7 cylinder compressor and the old ones had only 5. Not sure if that's accurate at all.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

a/c is pretty bulletproof really....

I replace all hoses, receiver drier and condenser with one meant for a 134A system. USUALLY the evaporators are trouble free.

sometimes I will do a compressor, but not right away. I get the system up and running then decide if I like it or not by watching pressures.

every automotive system loses about 1/4lb per year due to the vibration etc. a typical system should go 5-6 years before it needs a sniff of the magic gas to make it perform well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

I had mine (an 84) done by a local shop and have been quite impressed with the result.

They replaced the hoses using barrier hoses, went with a later 3-speed radiator fan, installed a new radiator, a larger modern condenser and charged it with R12.

There has been no need for additional service or charge in the 6 years since.

Bottom line - these things can be made to work quite well.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

As noted by others, the hoses make a big difference. 30 year old hoses/fittings are gonna leak.
Plan on replacing all the hoses with newer style barrier hose. The new reduced diameter hose is easier to route and takes up less room.
I used the EZ-Clip system from Eaton, which does not require an expensive clamping tool.
https://hosewarehouse.com
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Hydrau.../index.htm
http://www.coldhose.com

Do a search here on theSamba, lots of threads about all this.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

My compressor went. I had a shop replace with a rebuilt condensor, new receiver dryer, expansion valve and went with 134a. It blows cold. I am impressed. I have nothing to compare it to because the compressor went on my maiden voyage.

I had a thermometer in the fridge to check to see how it was cooling so I hung it in front of the a/c vents.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by elizer on Sat May 19, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

IF you want to fix your A/C once and have it last for the next 20 years, do it right.

As you know, band aids, even expensive band aids, don't work.

Replace the Condenser, the Hoses, Rec/Drier and yes..... the Compressor.

Flush out the Evaporator and expansion valve.

Reassemble, fill with r134a, get out your sweat shirt in the Summer and put it on for your A/C will be c c c c COLD! You'll appreciate the warmth.
My Wife bundles up in the front seat and dhaavers wife wraps up in a blanket!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583818

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

You get your AC license by owning

Vacuum pump
Manifold gauge set

You lose your license if you own

Any gauge on a hose type attachment to “top up your Freon”
Any Stop leak product for AC
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

Redtek. Check the thread out.
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

markz2004 wrote:

What thread?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

mg93108 wrote:
markz2004 wrote:

What thread?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292488
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an A/C solution? Air Conditioning fail/fix/fail/repeat Reply with quote

The single most important item in repairing/restoring a Vanagon AC system is to replace all the hoses with modern barrier hoses. If this is not done, then the annual re-charge or even twice-annual recharge will be required.

This is the 5th anniversary of installing my made-from-scratch DIY Front AC system and the performance has not declined in any way. Except for the 18-year-old compressor that came with my Subaru SVX engine, all my components were new.

FWIW, the Vanagon condenser is not very efficient, but it rarely fails or leaks. The Vanagon evaporator is also very robust, almost never fails, and is very large. The TXV and the Receiver/Drier are simply maintenance items you change any time you open the system. Replacing the hoses is key.

Allowing your AC system to operate with a low fill of refrigerant is asking for compressor trouble. Yes, there is a low-pressure switch designed to prevent catastrophic and immediate compressor death, but running with low refrigerant is just a milder assault on the system as contrasted with a death blow. The refrigerant is what carries the lubricating oil into and through the compressor. The lower the refrigerant density, the lower the oil quantity circulated through the compressor. Think of it as similar in concept to the reduced oxygen available to mountaineers at high altitudes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: