Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

i hear ....want the cam to come in sooner, I think.....maybe what you really want is one step smaller heads/carbs/exhaust.
That's really what determines 'when it comes on".
The cam you can adjust, to a degree, how much is above and how much is below that.

But.......maybe not. it's an Ok setup as-is, really.
who knows what you'll like, maybe not even you.

86 A is a fine choice I'd say. The regular 108 lobe center should be fine, looking at valve sizes VS displacement and compression, so forth. I don't see any odd factors that need a tweaked lobe center.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

I second what ^^^ modok said, but I add, do not buy the pre-clearance 86a (different cam blank) that does not go well with your lifters. Clearance the cam yourself, it is very easy to do. The web 86 is too mild for your combo.

You can also have extra duration added to the webcams if you want, acn does not mention this but they should instead of the lobe center thing. Adding duration can be a handy tuning tool.

On rockers? my favorite is the CB 1.4's and they give about 1.47 ratio. With an 86a that is about .490" lift.

Dan
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

Great thread, VW_Jimbo. Just read through the whole thing last night and this morning. As much as it sounds management BS to talk about valuing humility and teamwork and a willingness to learn, that's exactly how this thread got to a happy ending. Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Great thread, VW_Jimbo. Just read through the whole thing last night and this morning. As much as it sounds management BS to talk about valuing humility and teamwork and a willingness to learn, that's exactly how this thread got to a happy ending. Smile

Thanks! I view my path in life equal to a student. I am a life long learner. At times, I may be the teacher, but I really enjoy stepping outside of my comfort zone and just trying. I have learned that too many people are scared to take a step forward into the unknown, that has never been me. Even when young, like 10, I was testing gravity by jumping off the elementary school roof!

So, always learn. Always stay open to knowledge. Always radiate positive energy. No negative energy! Thats how I go through life.

I am super happy to have had this experience. It was a fairly expensive classroom, but it was fun for me!

Get out there, remember positive energy and an open mind, and then you will see what I see out in the world!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

modok wrote:
i hear ....want the cam to come in sooner, I think.....maybe what you really want is one step smaller heads/carbs/exhaust.
That's really what determines 'when it comes on".
The cam you can adjust, to a degree, how much is above and how much is below that.

But.......maybe not. it's an Ok setup as-is, really.
who knows what you'll like, maybe not even you.

86 A is a fine choice I'd say. The regular 108 lobe center should be fine, looking at valve sizes VS displacement and compression, so forth. I don't see any odd factors that need a tweaked lobe center.

Thank you, once again! That is not a concrete list, just a thought, as the car seems to be fairly responsive and quick! It pulls like crazy! Its that valve noise. Sounds like loose valves to me. Driving me crazy. Maybe I will just get a set of stock aluminum push rods and see what happens. I am very happy with the build (second build)!

On another note. Thinking of buying a gas anaylizer for setting mixture. I understand I will need to weld in an O2 sensor, no big deal. But do you use one, do you have any manufacturer recomendation or anything. Back when I wrenched, I had a dyno one bay over. Super easy access. I could still use that dyno after shop hours, BUT that shop is a two hour drive, now.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

Can't remember.. you are running steel pushrods, right?

They are best set at a loose zero cold.

You can then check them at temp (fully hot) and see where they fall.

IMHO, if set at a loose zero cold,
And then the lash opens up to noisy,
Your motor is running too hot.

I'll say that I love my steel pushrods,
because of that nice zero setting cold,
They make less noise than aluminum pushrods do set at .006".

What was your lash set at, again??

Also,
What size is your exhaust?

My 1914 with 86b isn't a disappointing dog down low.
Can only imagine your stroker would be better..

What’s That Noise?!?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Can't remember.. you are running steel pushrods, right?

They are best set at a loose zero cold.

You can then check them at temp (fully hot) and see where they fall.

IMHO, if set at a loose zero cold,
And then the lash opens up to noisy,
Your motor is running too hot.

I'll say that I love my steel pushrods,
because of that nice zero setting cold,
They make less noise than aluminum pushrods do set at .006".

What was your lash set at, again??

Also,
What size is your exhaust?

My 1914 with 86b isn't a disappointing dog down low.
Can only imagine your stroker would be better..

Hey Clatter, set the valves up to a loose zero stone cold. Noisy as ever. I am getting used to it, but damn!

I cannot imagine the motor running too hot. I have an IR gun in the glove box, that I take out and hit the oil pressure sending unit. Well within stock range. I have had stock engines that were hotter!

I also have a Save a Bug dipstick light who-a-dooey. Never even lights. I have measured a lot of Bugs, and this one is running cooler than anticipated, but I did spend some time cleaning the casting flash off and cleaning ever thing well. Also all stock tin, except for the fan shroud, but even that looks good. I also installed the flaps in the aftermarket shroud and welded in a couple of directional vanes, like the original ones. Happy with the results!

Exhaust is 1-5/8".

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

valve clatter will be increased by a hot engine and cold oil, since the push rod expansion is affected by oil temp. Engine growth by engine temps (not oil temps).

I don't even consider an engine warmed up until the oil hits 210F.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
valve clatter will be increased by a hot engine and cold oil, since the push rod expansion is affected by oil temp. Engine growth by engine temps (not oil temps).

I don't even consider an engine warmed up until the oil hits 210F.

Thanks for that little tid bit on oil temp! Same temp water turns to a gas! I will see what happens after driving it a little while. I will get the oil temp up and listen. Thank you!

Hey John, thanks for chimming in. I been meaning to and also wanting to tell you how much I have come to rely on your product descriptions. They are spot on and well written. Thank you for sifting through the mountains of data and selecting to only write so much - enough to make the point, with no fluff factor. You got my business, going forward from here on out. Keep up the great work!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

and yet we have to deal with manufacturers who have temper tantrums and blacklist us because we tell the truth about products, good and bad. They never mind the praise, but have a fit when criticized.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

My clatter is less if set at .005 lash than if I set it tighter.
the key is make the actual lash match the lash ramp of the cam.
WEB uses a .012 lash ramp, when engine is more like .008
IMO web has it right
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

Run stock pushrods? Don’t rev too or they will bend.

Dan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

I'm not advocating that it's a good idea.
I just wanted to see how long it would work with stock pushrods and hairpin clips too. And the answer is.....longer than most peoples engines. Razz
It's been over 6k rpm hundreds of times, but probably not over 7k

Blame it on the oval wire conical springs.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I'm not advocating that it's a good idea.
I just wanted to see how long it would work with stock pushrods and hairpin clips too. And the answer is.....longer than most peoples engines. Razz
It's been over 6k rpm hundreds of times, but probably not over 7k

Blame it on the oval wire conical springs.

What cam?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

web 110/163
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

John, you nailed it! Went for a two hour drive up and down PCH, several times. The valve train noise went from “I don’t like it”, to “it sounds like a vw”! It really sounded nice! So, now I know.

Now, I do wind out the engine while driving, so I will need to weigh out the pros and cons of what has all been written over the last few days. Ain’t going to happen this weekend or next week. My house is party central for the graduate!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

modok wrote:
web 110/163

Glen the OP's setup will push things harder than your setup if your running 1.1 rockers.

Dan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

yes, sorry we got side-tracked. my point was -good quality- aluminum push rods do work very well, when sized right for the application
Greg Ward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

1000%

Had Aircooled.Net AL pushrods in one of my engines since 2001...wouldn't have any Steel horsepower robbing things in them since!

I can't advocate for AL pushrods enough, some of my engines run to 10,000Rpm...
They all have AL pushrods...

Cheers,

Greg
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

Greg Ward wrote:
1000%

Had Aircooled.Net AL pushrods in one of my engines since 2001...wouldn't have any Steel horsepower robbing things in them since!

I can't advocate for AL pushrods enough, some of my engines run to 10,000Rpm...
They all have AL pushrods...

Cheers,

Greg

Thank you. Going to get an order in soon, for those Al pushrods. Absolutely hate the steel push rods!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: