Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. SOLVED!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Your going to hate me saying this..... I don't see any oil starvation. Laughing

Contact on rod bearings looks like they were too tight.
Contact on piston skirts looks too tight.

I was wondering if it was machined for oversize cam bearings...oversize oil valves, or something... and you didn't notice?? Soon you can have another look at that, and the see if the oil pump lines up correct.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Your going to hate me saying this..... I don't see any oil starvation. Laughing

Contact on rod bearings looks like they were too tight.
Contact on piston skirts looks too tight.

I was wondering if it was machined for oversize cam bearings...oversize oil valves, or something... and you didn't notice?? Soon you can have another look at that, and the see if the oil pump lines up correct.

Man, you are like a psychic, I do hate that!

I am all good, this is small peanuts in the overall scheme of life. No worries!

Piston measured out sloppy actually, on the loose end of good. Even today, looking down into the cylinders I was wondering. I actually had Brothers go through them for me. They redid the cross hatch in the cylinders for me, to help seal the AAs.

Rod bearings were on the tight side, but fell nicely during the crank assembly. I am starting to second guess those rod bolts. Never have used ARP bolts before. The whole special grease thing rubs me wrong, punny! I need to go back through my assembly log. Maybe I over torqued them? That may explain what you see and what I see.

Never over torque a rod bolt before. I wonder if this is the result. I am going to check my log book and Google, over torque rod bolt.

Do you think I damaged the rods at all? Is that plausible?

Thanks for responding. I do appreciate your thoughts!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Hmm, well maybe. I just figured if the piston scuffed and took all the coating off it must be too tight, OR, some other reason. Maybe that coating wasn't put on right or the skirt got some dirt stuck in it some way and caused it.

I don't think you damaged the rods, I don't see any real HEAT thankfully.

The assembly torque on the rod bolts should be the same as when they were finish machined. It is customary to put this value ON THE BOX.
If you use a higher torque value, they will squeeze smaller, and sometimes not evenly.

I know some of the china rods are sold without bolts. How does that even work then? it's just not right.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

The rods are from CB Performance. Their H beam 5.4 rods with ARP bolts. I believe they are stretch bolts and will need to get new ones. But how can one over torque a stretch bolt. I guess I may have found a way! My eyes are not as good as they once were. Maybe I missed my number?!?! Damn, I hate that!

I think you answered your own statement with itself, in that last sentence. Let me pull out the key word, China.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

CB's rods are VERy good.
the bolts can be re-used many times, usually.
28-29 ft-lb sound familiar?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Sounds too low. I was thinking 38. That’s why I write stuff down. I will check it tomorrow, and let you know for sure. Believe me my memory is not worth too much lately. I need to write everything down!

So, no new bolts? I was taught to always change stretch bolts. Maybe I am remembering the Cb bolts wrong. I need to double check it tomorrow.

Thanks for your experience!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Same here. People fail to understand how poor my memory is.
But after torquing, you know.... 100,000 bolts or so, I started kinda seeing a pattern, so I can guess pretty close now. Assuming that's a 5/16 arp-200 bolts

Sometimes strange stuff just happens.
4 cyl jeep, did all the machine work on it. My co-worker assembled the shortblock. The owner did all the correct pre-lube and break-in procedures. Somehow it scuffed one side of one piston. I can't find a reason. Checking everything again, it all checks perfect. Maybe there was sand cast in to the piston. Just have to try it again.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

That’s me as well. I rebuilt was too many engines, all sorts of manufactures. I often mix up the values between them. That’s why I write them all down before building. Research first, action afterwards!

Sounds like a tapered cylinder. Do you have a bore meter?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Yes. By day I am an automotive machinist. By night, spiderman.
<.00025" taper, bottom edge nicely chafered too.
Greg Ward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

When you get around to putting it back together, I noticed something in your pics, we never use a grooved oil relief piston in a dual relief case. I know they were used in some Type3's with dual carbs but never in a Beetle or Bus engine.

Was that a kit? I really wish the aftermarket wouldn't sell rubbish like that, even trying to use the non grooved plug from the aftermarket kit wouldn't work the one time I tried it, the piston itself was not machined properly, some of them fall in and some of them aren't even smooth on the outside, also made of rubbish material....unfortunately. Rolling Eyes

Always used OEM non-grooved pistons with a light polish with some 1000grit paper in the lathe and never had a problem.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

If the rod is slightly tight on the crank, wouldn't it cause excessive piston rocking? That would explain the worn piston skirts
Seems it would be a fine line between stiff and seized, but maybe it did happen..
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

esde wrote:
If the rod is slightly tight on the crank, wouldn't it cause excessive piston rocking? That would explain the worn piston skirts
Seems it would be a fine line between stiff and seized, but maybe it did happen..

It sounds plausible. It all measured out great. Within limits, according to Bently. I was taught to measure, assemble and do a drop check. They drop at a certain rate, not a free fall but a light resistance fall. They all dropped the same!They all were within an RCH of one another, nothing to stop and even check the book on. Really close! The one thing I keep going back to, which is on those videos is the really low, at times none, oil pressure. The more I think, the more I am convincing myself.

Looks like I have a full day of chasing water, but will have an hour or so to disassemble the short block tonight, unless a customer has a flood or a fried panel. So, hope for no after hours emergencies! I always do!

Then we can see the whole picture!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Greg Ward wrote:
When you get around to putting it back together, I noticed something in your pics, we never use a grooved oil relief piston in a dual relief case. I know they were used in some Type3's with dual carbs but never in a Beetle or Bus engine.

Was that a kit? I really wish the aftermarket wouldn't sell rubbish like that, even trying to use the non grooved plug from the aftermarket kit wouldn't work the one time I tried it, the piston itself was not machined properly, some of them fall in and some of them aren't even smooth on the outside, also made of rubbish material....unfortunately. Rolling Eyes

Always used OEM non-grooved pistons with a light polish with some 1000grit paper in the lathe and never had a problem.

Thank you Greg. I have a handful of pistons still rolling around inside my box. However, I did not use these at first as the shiny new parts looked so good. They fit in the case, they came with Allen head screws as well, so they were really cool. At some point searching for the low pressure. I pulled the good running 1600 engines relief pistons, springs and screws and used them. I could see a jump in the pressure immediately, however that was not the original issue. Although I do think that was part of it! Thanks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Very Happy I agree with Modoc- I only see some contamination and an even sweep on those rod bearings. The deeper lines indicate debris running thru the bearings, but if run with 5w30 oil that set up looks like it had a lot of miles left in those bearings- and if the oil pressure problem could have been solved-- no telling-

The scuffed pistons on the other hand-- maybe an over heat problem-- or again debris from the re-hone. With out putting a micrometer on the skirts, and comparing them all- Question

You should check out the flow thru your oil cooler I have an oil cooler that ran with HIGH oil pressure and actually ballooned up to close the air flow.- and make sure all your under tins to the cylinder are in place.

Went back and ran the OP videos again and did seem to hear a sticking valve or ignition problem on rev up- and- that clean exhaust valve might be leaking- either thru the seat, or the valve face,-- had that in a dodge- where all the seats were loose and it ran like a major vacuum leak.

---[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

The pistons look flaky to me. My cam did that when I got crazy with brake clean. Make sure all your crank plugs are in.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Yeah, something not right with the piston fit there (VW Jimbo's bottom photo). Maybe the engine was just running so hot from that it wouldn't hold oil pressure? Just a thought? What stroke is this engine? Are those A offset pistons? (Looks like they come out of the cylinder too far to work!) But probably there is just a fit problem with the case to oil pump or a restriction in the oil system somewhere.
I don't think the rods or the bearings are damaged except for the debris damage showing here:

Mine 150 miles:(Disregard the mess it was from a fail sparkplug hole repair and why the engine had to come apart at 150 miles.)

VW Jimbo's

Mine 150 miles:

VW Jimbo's

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Hey guys, got home at 5:30 tonight after chasing a water leak on a thrid story hose, misplaced nail 4 rows down from the ridge, rotted all kinds of stuff!!! I am no stranger to chasing oddities!

After saying hi to my girls, there are no other males in my home, (even the dog is female!), I went out to the garage and did a four wheel brake job on the oldest kids Jeep Liberty! Fun stuff. Wrapped that up in just over an hour, thankfully the rotors were all bigger than minimum and looked to be in good shape. However, I now own 4 rotors. Next brake job on it I wont have to buy rotors! And lord knows I store ALOT of parts!

After the brakes, I jumped into tearing down the short block.

Stripped and split the case. Pulled the cam, looked it over, it looks good, no grooves in the camshaft itself, but the bearing look a little worn, for less than 5 miles.

Then onto looking at the crank

Finally the oil pump alignment

So then I put my thumb over the on the oil suction hole at the case, in the oil
pump, and blew into the pick up tube. Air came out at the top of the oil pick up shield, cover metal, where it is connected to the oil pump feed tube. My gut says this is not right, but is it? Where the yellow arrow is.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

That's your problem probably will braze or perhaps silver solder.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Woah, yeah, that's not normal. That needs to be brazed shut, or replaced.

Unrelated, but the edges of your cam lobes need some bevel grinding to relieve stress and prevent the lobes from cutting into the lifter faces over time.
Greg Ward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me! New rebuild. Low oil pressure. Reply with quote

Sorry Jimbo, and I'm prepared to get flamed, but you're using "Lose a Lobe" lifters....

Never had one of them work in my life, your's look like a 100,000 mile engine after what 5 miles? they are a product I would never have in any of my engines. Humour me and take 2 and see if you can rock them together or if they stay flat against each other.

Also please measure the cam lift now, I would hazzard a guess they wiped out against each other and caused bits to go through all your bearings like the sand and grit that others have noticed.

I've always used lifters with no holes, my current engine has them just like stock and they are heavy, the rest of my valvetrain is very light, good enough for 69 x 94 and 9500rpm...

I also use the stock cooling system with no modifications, and have 85PSI cold idle pressure (for a serious RPM engine) I see no reason to modify something that works perfectly, I worry about things like oil galley plugs that are added that plug what they shouldn't and oil lines that route to horrible areas such as next to the exhaust or can get split by some road debris hitting them.

And one more thing, apart from all the bearings copping a sanding from debris, the oil pump case looks like it has a thread machined into it from the same stuff... my guess is cam and lifters... lovely bits of metal throughout the engine.

Do the oil relief pistons fall out? Let me guess...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: