Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 Eurovan, and cannot get it to start. I have 2 keys, and neither works. The engine turns over, starts, then dies immediately. Upon some googling, this seems to be the immobilizer being activated. Here's what I have done so far with no success:

-charged the old battery fully (~4 years old)
    -cleaned the negative terminal fully (small amounts of corrosion)
    -disconnected the negative terminal and applied the brake
    -removed the battery and connected the + & - terminals
    -left the key in the ignition in the ON position for 10+ minutes
    -bought and installed a new battery

So far nothing has worked. I did notice that the "ding" that occurs when you have the key in the ignition and open the drivers door would occasionally stumble. Like ding..ding..ding....d...d...ding...ding...ding

At this point, I need some help on next steps to check the ignition, ring around the key, and whatever else this could be. We've never had a problem before and the van has just been sitting in the driveway.

I don't have a VAG tool but have a standard OBD-II tool that I have to get back from a friend and will scan for codes.

Is there any other way to reset the immobilizer? Am I on the right track or is there something else I should check? Thanks in advance, I'm super frustrated.

MJ
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

I don't have a direct answer, but a few threads/articles that may be helpful, if you've not already read them:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5881695-2002-Eurovan-immobilizer-problem
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=84
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/immobilizer-faq-...ment-tips/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

Thanks, I read through all those, and sadly none of those things are working. I think at this point I need to get a VAG tool on it and see what's happening. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of a bad ECU, Immobilizer, or what.

Hoping there are some other folks that may have tackled this challenge before.

The battery swap, draining the system, leaving the key in the ON position for hours, all have failed to reset it back to normal operation, with either of my 2 keys.

I just can't figure out what else could possibly cause this because it turns over fine, fires up, then dies right away, every time. Its just strange that I am not getting an Immobilizer code thrown. I'm stumped.

thanks!

MJ
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

That is immobilizer behavior, so there is nothing strange about it.

If you let the battery sit and go dead, thats a bad habit and bad for the battery.

You do need a VAG type tool to probe the immob and reset, a generic tool won't work
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

Hi Abscate,

The battery wasn't dead, or even low. It cranks over no problem and measures at 12.2v before I topped it off. I mentioned it was sitting because that seems to be what triggers the immobilizer. But since all of the battery-related tricks listed didn't have any effect, it seems something else is going wrong in the immobilizer system. I've never dealt with it before, so I'm just going on what I have read.

If the system is being triggered, it seems there should be a code. Thanks in advance.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

I might be back in the Bay Area in the next month or two if you aren’t on a fast timeline to repair. How are you reading codes? Pep Boys scanner won’t read deeper stuff like VAG will.

Do you have the valet key? This is unconfirmed internet chatter....

Quote:
All Eurovans came with a third, default key for emergency use that has a tiny little head on it. It contains a universal immobilizer chip that is always recognized by the immobilizer. That way the owner has at least one key that will always work no matter what. But, because of its small size and lack of grip, you always feel like you are going to break it. I suppose that's an incentive to go and get your key fob properly programmed. It was for me!

menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

Hi Abscate,

I don't have to have it running immediately, but summer is coming and camping season is upon us Wink Would love to get your help.

I used the Autel VAG 405 tool, which does supposedly read VW codes specifically, but there isn't enough detail to know. I really need the RossTech tool to monitor it in real time to figure out what's happening it seems.

I saw that valet key info on a post, but I don't have that key. I have the original flip key and a VIN matched dealer key I bought after we got the van. I'll look and see if that valet key is tucked away someplace in the owner's manual, but we got the van at auction on theft recovery, so its a long shot...

Thanks in advance for your help! Feel free to PM me if you're coming soon, otherwise I'll invest in the Ross tech tool and see if I can get more information to share.

thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

If you can find another T4 owner with the valet key, I wonder if you can bring that key close enough to set the immob.
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

ah good idea, if I just held it right up against the ring with the other key in the ignition...I'll see if I can locate one.
carter turk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

I have an O2 Weekender that we offered to loan to a friend. My son found possibly the valet key, as I wasn't home when they came to borrow the van.
Apparently that key was not recognized by the computer and shut off the van when attempting to start.

When I returned, I found the most recently used fob (actually the only one we had) and it didn't start either. I did some research, and found the key in ignition "on" for 20 minutes was the first thing to try. I was worried the headlights would drain the battery just sitting, so I disconnected them.

After 20 minutes, maybe 30 in the key on position it fired off, but it sounds like you already tried that, possibly not long enough???

I recently found the guilty valet key in the garage, today actually, though I'm afraid to use or try it. Was told I could get the computer to recognize it by just leaving in the drivers side door for 20 minutes just like the fob. Have yet to try that.
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Immobilizer activated after van sat for a few months Reply with quote

Yeah I did try that, I left it in there for several hours with a charger on the battery. I did some further testing, and I think the ECM itself is the problem =(
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: