Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

This is my first ever VW...first ever project car. I've been interested in bajas and working on my own stuff for a while now, and now that I've finally gotten to a more stable time in my life, I figured I'd give it a go!

First, the inspiration!

(Note: I'm planning to do a spider style front end)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What I'm starting with:

My plan:
-Cut and turn front beam.
-Swap the front spindle set-up for Thing spindles.
-Notch rear spring plates.
-1x1 Boxed rear trailing arms (assuming this works with the front end plan).
-Rebuild things that need rebuilt.
-Pan, engine bay, "luggage" compartment - spray truck liner with powdered sound deadener.
-Interior sound proofing (as much as feasible).
-Aircooled.net mini stroker build. Shooting for 1800cc or so.

My intent is to get as much travel and clearance out of the stock suspension set-up without having to build in a cage or anything like that. This is meant to be a fun vehicle to rip around dirt and gravel roads and mild off-road trails.

I know I'm missing basic mechanical things, so any advice about things to keep an eye out for/consider would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kyletheviking on Sat May 19, 2018 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Inventory part 2 - Engine Parts

I picked up this lot of engine parts for $280 over the weekend. All told, I'm a grand total of $870 into this project, and I *think* I might have all the parts for a complete car (transaxle not pictured).

plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Nice, welcome to the mud hole.
kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

plotch wrote:
Nice, welcome to the mud hole.

Thanks! Hoping to have a dolly built and the body off next Sunday. I'll be posting more body pictures once that happens.
Hatmpatn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! Will follow with great interest. Please be thorough with documenting the suspension modification since Im wondering hos it is Done.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

kyletheviking wrote:

I'm planning to do a spider style front end.

What is a spider style front end ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
What is a spider style front end ?

Wide eye fenders with a bug eye nose and hood (at least, I think that's the term for it).
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

kyletheviking wrote:

Wide eye fenders with a bug eye nose and hood (at least, I think that's the term for it).

Ahhh, I get it !! Thanks

kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Ahhh, I get it !! Thanks

You're quite welcome. I've been lurking your build for a while and it's looking fantastic.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

kyletheviking wrote:

You're quite welcome. I've been lurking your build for a while and it's looking fantastic.

Wow !! Thanks again.

kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Question. I think I have the front end figured out with a 3" lift from a Thing swap, and another 3 or so inches from cut and turn with adjusters (also planning to go 3" wider". The question is, 2 fold: Will thing flanges and type 4 cvs bolt up to a type one Trans? (I understand that type 4's can handle up to 22º of motion(?), deflection(?), whatever. And should that give me the matching 6" of lift in the rear? If not, how to I match that, along with the extra width?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

kyletheviking wrote:
Question. I think I have the front end figured out with a 3" lift from a Thing swap, and another 3 or so inches from cut and turn with adjusters (also planning to go 3" wider". The question is, 2 fold: Will thing flanges and type 4 cvs bolt up to a type one Trans? (I understand that type 4's can handle up to 22º of motion(?), deflection(?), whatever. And should that give me the matching 6" of lift in the rear? If not, how to I match that, along with the extra width?

If you are going wider up front, you should go wider out back or it will track funny. If you go wider out back, you'll need a full roll cage to attach the upper shock mounts. If you are going full roll cage, it would be better to run a widened linkpin front end. I'm not really sure how you get 6" of lift in the rear. Maybe 3x3 rear trailing arms get you near to that. Once you decide to go wider, you may as well go full cage, 6" wider linkpin up front and 3x3's out back.

kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are going wider up front, you should go wider out back or it will track funny. If you go wider out back, you'll need a full roll cage to attach the upper shock mounts. If you are going full roll cage, it would be better to run a widened linkpin front end. I'm not really sure how you get 6" of lift in the rear. Maybe 3x3 rear trailing arms get you near to that. Once you decide to go wider, you may as well go full cage, 6" wider linkpin up front and 3x3's out back.

Ah ok. I'm trying to avoid the need for a cage. I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy with the Baja. So I suppose 3" of lift is probably what I can expect to get out of a stock suspension setup in the rear?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

kyletheviking wrote:

Ah ok. I'm trying to avoid the need for a cage. I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy with the Baja. So I suppose 3" of lift is probably what I can expect to get out of a stock suspension setup in the rear?

Try jacking the back end of the car up until the center of the rear stub axles are about 15" off the ground. That's how high the car would be on the stops with a 31x10.50x15 or 30x9.50x15 rear tire. It's not exactly where it would sit, but close.

kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Try jacking the back end of the car up until the center of the rear stub axles are about 15" off the ground. That's how high the car would be on the stops with a 31x10.50x15 or 30x9.50x15 rear tire. It's not exactly where it would sit, but close.

Oh! That's good to know! I'll have to try that out. Thanks!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Then there's always a class 11 look-a-like bug.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672682&highlight=

They don't use the bigger tires in the rear or baja exhaust but everything else is basically the same as a "non roll-cage" baja bug.

kyletheviking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Then there's always a class 11 look-a-like bug.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672682&highlight=

They don't use the bigger tires in the rear or baja exhaust but everything else is basically the same as a "non roll-cage" baja bug.

So, by the sounds of it, I'm wanting a Class-11/Baja hybrid kinda thing.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

A stock vw bug is extremely capable of many things. Upgrade a few things and you take that capability even farther.

If you don't want a cage, then don't plan on modifying too much for suspension travel. Or I mean, you could get a wider beam and wider rear teailing arms and keep the stock ride height.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Log: Nickname - Fenrir Reply with quote

kyletheviking wrote:

This is meant to be a fun vehicle to rip around dirt and gravel roads and mild off-road trails.

Looks like a great project and you have a lot of parts already for just getting going. Should be a lot of fun. I know you aren't wanting to do a cage, but this quote is exactly the type of driving that can easily put you on your head before you know what is happening. Happened to me in my first baja. If I didn't have a cage, I'm not sure me or my passenger would have driven away and had even more fun before a flat tire ended our day.

Looking forward to the build man, whichever direction you take it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: