Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Beetle Turn signal return?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceRace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: 1965 Beetle Turn signal return? Reply with quote

Hello out there.....Did the turn signal switch turn off (in 1965 Beetle), when the steering wheel turns originally?.....Mine doesn't, and I'm thinking of changing mine to fix it....Thanks Bruce
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle Turn signal return? Reply with quote

Yes. There should be one of these on front (of car) side of steering wheel. It kicks out the lever that cancels the turn signal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle Turn signal return? Reply with quote

Is it a stock steering wheel?
If you can get a photo of the column with it removed, we can check what you've got. The design changed over the years, and who knows what a PO did before you got it...
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle Turn signal return? Reply with quote

My 65 doesn't cancel itself. But then again, that part could have been left off during the install recently.

If 65s were supposed to self cancel, I'll add it to the list of things that weren't done correctly. Evil or Very Mad
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle Turn signal return? Reply with quote

VW started putting self cancelling directional switches in Beetles in the late 50's. Safe bet all of the cars post-oval window era originally would self cancel the signals when turning back straight.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle Turn signal return? Reply with quote

Could be a missing piece like above, could be a broken turn signal switch... photos will tell all!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle Turn signal return? Reply with quote

Yeah, if it's a VW steering wheel it's rather likely it will have a cancel tab ring bolted to the bottom of it.

Now, broken or simply worn out turn switches... those do happen, certainly. There was more than one company that made these, you can see some detail on them here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157894&

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle Turn signal return? Reply with quote

Question on the turn signal canceling ring which way does it install . And does the turn signal on the column need to be touching metal. I notice on mine sometimes the turn signals don’t work unless it’s at certain spot on the steering column. Next question the small screw that holds the signal to the column and the metal tab do u need to have the steering wheel off or do u just slip the metal tab under the turn signal. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: