Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RUST RUST RUST
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatClassic71Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

So i know the ideal thing to do would be to just change the pan or get a new bug but both of those are too much of a task.

Anyone have any DIY ideas to solve this rust problem? I thought thin malleable sheet metal that i could fold around the channel then fasten down would work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is under my front right fender
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

That’s not a patch job, you need new heater channels and probably other rust repair around them. I did that job myself, but it takes some time.
ThatClassic71Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

Yeah new heater channels would be amazing, but I'm looking for a temporary fix until i can afford that.

Cost of heater channels + someone to fit them.

I've seen Rick Higgins' and Chris Vallone's videos on heater channel replacement and its quite a job
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

ThatClassic71Bug wrote:
Yeah new heater channels would be amazing, but I'm looking for a temporary fix until i can afford that.

Cost of heater channels + someone to fit them.

I've seen Rick Higgins' and Chris Vallone's videos on heater channel replacement and its quite a job

The problem with a 'temporary' fix for heater channels:

The heater channels are part of the structural frame of the chassis. Think more of them as frame rails that just happen to be used to carry heated air.

Bum frame rails are not something to try and 'bodge' or 'patch', the only fix is the proper fix. Otherwise, the vehicle's safety is compromised.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

I'm with the previous members, either fix it correctly or don't bother until you can. Slap on the running boards and hide it until you find the time/money/help.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

Agree with the above. If you cannot fix both right now, just fix one side, the worse one. You can lift the body off on one side and rest it on 4x6 blocks on the other side. Weld in a new channel and it looks like you may need a few other body pieces. Get that one side good, then save your pennies for the next side!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

Guys In my club, Filthy Buggers, they run really rusty cars. Rustier than that. What they did was weld a bar across the bottom along the door. Now when you hit a bump that whole car shakes a little less. Laughing But by doing this it helps the structural integrity of the car a little more.
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Guys In my club, Filthy Buggers, they run really rusty cars. Rustier than that. What they did was weld a bar across the bottom along the door. Now when you hit a bump that whole car shakes a little less. Laughing But by doing this it helps the structural integrity of the car a little more.

That’s pretty awful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

You need new channels... no patching that, it's the whole structure of the body. I made a YouTube video going over the repair. It's not that really that hard if you can weld, but it is important to do it right.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

Don't put two Surfboards on the roof and go 65 MPH. I had a Ghia that looked like that, back in the 60's ($35) and I was coming back from the beach with my friend and the whole body started to lift, side streets all the way home then off to the junkyard.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
sshulk wrote:

That’s pretty awful.

Yeah but it does work. They plan to do the work on their cars but until they get the time it’s a temporary “fix” they use.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
ThatClassic71Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Don't put two Surfboards on the roof and go 65 MPH. I had a Ghia that looked like that, back in the 60's ($35) and I was coming back from the beach with my friend and the whole body started to lift, side streets all the way home then off to the junkyard.

This is amazing =D i can picture mine doing it as i do surf. Getting the 65 mph is more rare =D
ThatClassic71Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:

THANKYOU this is the type of answer I'm looking for as it is what i had in mind.
Rather than just continuing to drive on the Compromised shell - Temp fix is better than the body flying off aster a cold surf =D
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

WTF?!? Do not drive a car in this condition. Forget about the fact that this is a large part of the structural integrity of the body, the heater channels are the outer structural member of the floor pans. If the heater channels are this bad then the pans are probably worse unless they have been replaced and if they have, they rely even more on the heater channels for support as they are thinner than the original pans.

Driving a vehicle in this condition is dangerous! Don’t be the idiot that puts their life at risk just because another pack of idiots bubble gum, duct tape, & bailing wire their shit back together to impress the rest of their idiot buddies. It’s just a “hardcore” downward spiral into the lowest common denominator.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
WTF?!? Do not drive a car in this condition. Forget about the fact that this is a large part of the structural integrity of the body, the heater channels are the outer structural member of the floor pans. If the heater channels are this bad then the pans are probably worse unless they have been replaced and if they have, they rely even more on the heater channels for support as they are thinner than the original pans.

Driving a vehicle in this condition is dangerous! Don’t be the idiot that puts their life at risk just because another pack of idiots bubble gum, duct tape, & bailing wire their shit back together to impress the rest of their idiot buddies. It’s just a “hardcore” downward spiral into the lowest common denominator.

I’m afraid your good advice will fall on deaf ears. They are looking for approval and acceptance not logic.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

There are 37,000 fatalities on the highways every year, take a pro active approach, and spare the deviation of innocent lives lost...
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong, I personally wouldn't drive a car unless it was decentt safe A little rust is fine, but not something rusted out, I just answered the OP's question, is there a temporary solution that could be used. Which is yes, although unsafe, it is a solution that would work.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Dont get me wrong, I personally wouldn't drive a car unless it was decentt safe A little rust is fine, but not something rusted out, I just answered the OP's question, is there a temporary solution that could be used. Which is yes, although unsafe, it is a solution that would work.

If it's unsafe, it's not a working solution.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:

If it is a solution that is unsafe, how would it work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: RUST RUST RUST Reply with quote

We're all driving 45+ year old cars calling each other "unsafe" lol......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: