Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New lifter is a different size
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: New lifter is a different size Reply with quote

Title says it. One lifter keeps losing its prime. I tried cleaning it and it helped, but still loses its prime so I ordered a new one. The new one is a little shorter. I put it in anyway, and figured a valve adjustment would compensate for the difference in size. It started fine and seems to run fine. I have not driven it yet. Opinions? Am I ok or do I need to find a different lifter? 6/1977 bus, 2.0.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Mispeld on Fri May 25, 2018 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: New lifter is a different size Reply with quote

The effective height is what would matter. Presumably so long as you could get the valve to adjust and the number of threads showing on the adjuster is about the same as for the other valves it should work fine.

A picture of your rocker box showing the threads of the adjusting screws would be helpful.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New lifter is a different size Reply with quote

The adjusters look all the same. I did 1.5 turns after making contact with the valve. The #2 cylinder, far left valve is the lifter I replaced. I just took it around the block and it seems fine. Now I can move onto the tuneup.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New lifter is a different size Reply with quote

I don't see a problem as long as after it is adjusted you have 1-1 1/2 threads sticking above the adjuster nut. The oil passage lines up, so that is good.

What is the view of the lifters from the top?

Good luck
Tcash

PS Check the lifter you pulled out on a piece of glass. It should have a slight crown to it. If not I would check the rest of the lifters (cam followers). Or just replace them all.
Flat lifters will prematurely wear the camshaft out.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: New lifter is a different size Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
The adjusters look all the same. I did 1.5 turns after making contact with the valve. The #2 cylinder, far left valve is the lifter I replaced. I just took it around the block and it seems fine. Now I can move onto the tuneup.

You will probably be just fine. Wink
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: New lifter is a different size Reply with quote

No, it has a "U" shaped clip. When I took it apart it had a disc rather than a ball type check valve. The new lifter has the same style clip, but I didn't take it apart.

When I started it for the first time it had a knock so I thought the engine needed an overhaul. I popped off the valve cover and apparently the PO screwed in the adjuster almost all the way down I'm guessing to take up the slack of a collapsed lifter. Knock is now gone and valves are adjusted.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: