Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillllyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

Yo! I am looking for some input on an acceleration problem with an EJ 22 swap on a 1982 Diesel van. A problem recently developed in which the van seems to lose power when the gas pedal is depressed further; things seem to work well until the gas pedal hits a certain point and then the engine seems to lose it. The problem seems to be exacerbated while pulling up hills.

The vehicle ECU was recently replaced which solved a persistent electrical problem in which a few dash lights would stay on after removing the key.

I have a scan gauge hooked up and it is throwing a P0180 code which is apparently for a fuel temperature sensor. I am not sure if these Subaru swaps generally even have a fuel temperature sensor but I am sure a few of you would know the answer to that.

I have heard the fuel pump humming in the past and am going to install the Go West Fuel Filter upgrade kit. (Remove the pre-filter).

I am looking for other suggestions as to what this might be. I know it could be a number of things but I am learning The Samba Knows Best.

Thanks!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

Do you have vss installed?
Definitely remove prefilter.
Problem happens around 4 k rpm?
Sounds like you are obd2?
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

Check the condition of your catalytic converter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

Check your timing belt. Mine jumped the boogey when I did a rolling start. Just two teeth and the van runs but lacks power and gets bad mileage. 1stclue was the motor was bouncing around at idle. 2nd clue was the power was down. Just a thought and pretty easy to inspect.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
BillllyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

VSS I am not so sure. Vehicle speed sensor I assume? This van is new-ish to me and I am learning like so many of us. The speedometer itself is off but my scangauge appears dead on. OBD2 yes. Indeed the problem does seem to occur in the 3500-4000 RPM range. She is jumpy. She goes then she slows. Then she goes. You get the idea.

I have not yet gotten to remove the pre-filter and install a new filter or check the timing belt. I am hoping it is as easy as a clogged fuel filter.

This is not to mention the absurd issues with lights, blinkers, and wipers. Weird van.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be your speed sensor (VSS). If you have an in/out diagnostic diagram for your ECU you could locate the VSS input and test for voltage when the van is running or the rear wheel is turning if it is attached to the rear wheel CV. The sensor could be out of adjustment,dirty or damaged. Another location for the VSS is on the back of the speedometer or in the O2 counter box in the speedometer cable, but you probably have the CV VSS. The VSS will have 3 wires - power,ground and signal. You could test the signal wire for voltage while turning the wheel if manual trans. Some sensors (larger cylindrical type Hall or Proximity) have a small LED that illuminates with a signal.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

I had an issue that dogged me for years. Annoying intermittent power slight reduction. Finally thru a knock sensor code and a new sensor cured it. Also smoothed out the idle. Mine is an EJ25 but after some research I realized that knock sensors are known to slowly fail and are cheap and easy to replace. Good luck. You’ll get it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

I've got a 2.5 suby with the cv joint flange mounted vss. It quit working a couple months ago. Looks like a rock hit it. Gotta fix it still. Anyhow if it is your vss it will trigger a limp mode at a very specific rpm and you start bucking and lose power. I don't have a tach but mine triggers at 53mph in third gear. I can drive 52 mph with no problem. If your issue is repeatable at exactly X rpm, they say around 4000 then you would have an easy fix.
BillllyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: EJ 22 Swap Acceleration Problem Reply with quote

Update: I removed the stock pre-filter and installed a new post pump fuel filter and it seems to have remedied the issue in full. Thanks for the input everyone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: