Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vacuum hose/stud size
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keeponbussin77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've finally got the engine back in my bus, but I'm having trouble locating some of the connecting bits. What kind of hose is used for the vacuum line that connects the brake booster to the carb balance bar, and what are the little round plastic relay things interspersed with the hose called? Also, could someone tell me the size stud used to attach the crossmount to the van? 1974 bus t4 engine, by the way. forgot to include.

Thanks, and keep cruising.

Last edited by Keeponbussin77 on Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/gates,27231,vacuum+hose,230

The inline thingy is a check valve. Can you be more specific on which bolt you mean?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

[quote="Keeponbussin77"]

What kind of hose is used for the vacuum line that connects the brake booster to the carb balance bar
https://www.belmetric.com/advanced_search_result.h...um%2C+fuel

Also, could someone tell me the size stud used to attach the cross mount to the van?
thx to jersey
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck
Tcash
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

here is the vacuum check valve we FI guys use....

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Power-Brake-Vacuum-Check-Valve-191-611-933-p/191-611-933.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

Assuming you are meaning the four bolts that attach the mustache bar to the frame rails, the originals were 8mm in diameter, but 5/16" bolts will work just as well. Either should be used with locknuts, preferable the crimped style, but nylocks will do.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

OP - you need to specify what year and what type engine. I read your comments to be a T1 but others see a T4 engine. The answers are different.

On an early bay there is a braided cloth covered hose that runs from the engine to the brake booster. On a late bay there are plastic lines with rubber inserts, along with a rubber tee that go from the engine to the booster.

On an early bay the crossmember aka mustache bar is held on with three bolts then two at the engine mounts. On a late bay there are two rubber mounts on the engine, and the crossmember aka mustache bar is held to the frame rail with 4 bolts.

There are also differences in how the transmission mounts between early and late.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

Ha I thought Keeponbussin77, had a 77.

Keeponbussin77 wrote:
Howdy all,
I'm spending my spare time rebuilding a 1974 Volkswagen Bay Window with that sweet, sweet 2.0 Liter type IV. The engine has most of the tin, but it's missing a few components. Does anyone know where I could find some kits or pieces to replace the lost ones? All I seem to be able to find are upright engine kits for the tin, and it's pretty frustrating. Thanks, all.

Also: The bus is being rebuilt for a sweet roadtrip to SoCal after college. Any tips for long distance travel? Don't bother with telling me to do a Subie swap-- I'm keeping her as original as possible. Thanks!
Keeponbussin77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
OP - you need to specify what year and what type engine. I read your comments to be a T1 but others see a T4 engine. The answers are different.

On an early bay there is a braided cloth covered hose that runs from the engine to the brake booster. On a late bay there are plastic lines with rubber inserts, along with a rubber tee that go from the engine to the booster.

On an early bay the crossmember aka mustache bar is held on with three bolts then two at the engine mounts. On a late bay there are two rubber mounts on the engine, and the crossmember aka mustache bar is held to the frame rail with 4 bolts.

There are also differences in how the transmission mounts between early and late.

74, t4 engine. apologies for forgetting. What size studs? and are you sure about the vacuum hose? The crusty one I have looks like regular braided hose.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum hose/stud size Reply with quote

Keeponbussin77 wrote:
The crusty one I have looks like regular braided hose.

You want vacuum rated hose of the correct size, whether it has a braided covering is not important.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: