Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

It looks like a previous owner teared open the case halves with a crowbar or something. There's a relatively big crack (or gap) below the flywheel under the last bolt (pictured below).
There's a similar yet smaller one on the other side below the oil pump. Both leak. It was stuffed with a silicone sealant at some point, which flew right off when I cleaned the engine with degreaser and a wire brush.

Question is what's the best way to seal it up without having to tear apart the whole engine.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

leave it alone. it's not really on the sealing surface. if it does leak however, the case is kind of junk....unless you split it and go a little crazy with some extra sealant in that area

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Yeah, the case looks pretty normal to me, Hopefully, it's just near the edge and not across the sealing surface. Fixing it requires complete engine disassembly. But Yeah, that is not where your oil is likely leaking! Oil pump's usually seep a little and I would not worry about that unless it's leaving a drip on the garage floor in which case you can remove the oil pump and use new gaskets and case sealer to seal it. I don't use case sealer on the outer pump gasket just the inner one. Some people don't even use the thin outer gasket so it will make better oil pressure without the gap of the gasket.
Flywheel end oil leaks are usually a sign of a worn out engine where the #1 main bearing is loose in the case or it could just be a bad main seal. Still got to pull the engine and clutch to get to it. Does the engine have any end play at the crank pulley? (Car in neutral remove the fan belt and set it on a TDC or BDC) to test If it clunks when pushed in and out, if so then it needs rebuilding.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun May 20, 2018 2:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Sweet Jesus.

Drain oil

Let sit overnight.

Degrease the area from top and bottom with acetone and hexanes ( MAF cleaner)

Paper towel dry.

JB weld into crack area and let set overnight
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

^ try this, only I am lazy so I would leave the oil in & use brake parts cleaner^
that way you can try over & over again til is quits dripping. /sarc
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

It's never a leaking case, it's the oil is coming from above.

I just realized you have the engine out, no big deal to check the main bearing (by checking crank end play) and install a new main seal, do you have a torquemaster?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
It's never a leaking case, it's the oil is coming from above.

I just realized you have the engine out, no big deal to check the main bearing (by checking crank end play) and install a new main seal, do you have a torquemaster?

I agree pretty much.

That exact case joint......unless they had the bolt out and literally hammered the flat blade screwdriver all the way through to the case inside.... or ...through really hard prying....actually warped the case in that area.....then that is not what is leaking.

If they did jam teh screwdriver all the way through...then most likely the case is warped and as Skills noted....then its junk.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Is the engine out? If so flip it over and spray the area well with brake cleaner repeatedly and then fill the crack with JB Weld or Ultra Silicone. Loctite hydraulic sealand might work as well, it should be able to wick into the crack quite a ways.

I do agree that your leak may be coming from somewhere else but if it is coming from there and you can flip the case then now is the time to do any sealing you can there.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

define leak - all VW engine eventually leak some oil.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Whatever you use it has to be able to be applied to wet oil. It’s just not possible to drain the oil and expect the area to drip dry or even be able to be cleaned well enough for most sealants to stick. You need something like we used in aviation to seal running fuel leaks from integral wing fuel tanks. It was like two tootsie rolls that you’d mix in your hands and then push up into the seam and flatten out. It would stick and become hard as a rock in about 30 minutes. This was an approved temporary repair. I believe it was called Lyco Tabs but google isn’t helping me right now. The point is, RTV won’t stick and you’ll be wasting your time. Maybe JB Weld will work but their description didn’t say it would seal an oil leak. At least that I could find.

Found it

http://www.laco.com/repair-sealants/epoxy-tabs-type-o-/

LA-CO OylTite-Stik Oil Leaks Repair Sealant Stick, 1-1/4 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C3L5NO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.FFaBbB7H0R6G
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

LA-CO OylTite-Stik Oil Leaks Repair Sealant Stick
https://www.amazon.com/OylTite-Stik-Leaks-Repair-Sealant-Stick/dp/B002C3L5NO
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Whatever you use it has to be able to be applied to wet oil. It’s just not possible to drain the oil and expect the area to drip dry or even be able to be cleaned well enough for most sealants to stick. You need something like we used in aviation to seal running fuel leaks from integral wing fuel tanks. It was like two tootsie rolls that you’d mix in your hands and then push up into the seam and flatten out. It would stick and become hard as a rock in about 30 minutes. This was an approved temporary repair. I believe it was called Lyco Tabs but google isn’t helping me right now. The point is, RTV won’t stick and you’ll be wasting your time. Maybe JB Weld will work but their description didn’t say it would seal an oil leak. At least that I could find.

Found it

LA-CO OylTite-Stik Oil Leaks Repair Sealant Stick, 1-1/4 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C3L5NO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.FFaBbB7H0R6G
I will now drink more alcohol when I fly commercially.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Found it

I’m ok with repairs like this because they have to pass muster.

It’s forgetting to lube the elevator jackscrew, or not following the BOEING repair manual on the tail bulkhead repair , that keeps you sitting up straight
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Found it

I’m ok with repairs like this because they have to pass muster.

It’s forgetting to lube the elevator jackscrew, or not following the BOEING repair manual on the tail bulkhead repair , that keeps you sitting up straight
Me too. Commercial flight in the US has an impressive safety record.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Maybe this???

Couldn't help it. I'll let myself out....
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

They didn’t forget to lube the jackscrew. They didn’t have the proper tool in stock so they deferred it. Then maybe they forgot. Plus the bulkhead repair was caused by the engineers who drew it up, not the sheet metal mechanics that followed their drawings.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
They didn’t forget to lube the jackscrew. They didn’t have the proper tool in stock so they deferred it. Then maybe they forgot. Plus the bulkhead repair was caused by the engineers who drew it up, not the sheet metal mechanics that followed their drawings.

Yeah that one was complicated. They were extending service interval but their tool to detect wear wasn’t accurately doing so. I think they Also Found the boiled hours were 1/4 the MFG hours. Good if you are skills, not good for aeroplanes.

The bulkhead one I was think about was JAL123 which was on the repair , since they cut the splice plate. Fail

I guess you can put it in BOEING for not saying “ don’t cut the splice plate, whose function is to transfer load across the crack”

But that’s kind of ENG 000
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
Maybe this???

Couldn't help it. I'll let myself out....

Don't laugh, I used a similar product to seal the inside of a porous toilet tank that was weeping. It's been 5 years and the outside is bone dry.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

Well I can’t speak for other aircraft mechanics, only myself. I worked for 23 years under my FAA license. Many of those years as a lead mechanic. I’ve signed off hundreds of log books in that time. Never once was I investigated or disciplined for anything. I think most other A&P’s fit in that description. One guy I worked with did get in a lot of trouble but like most mistakes, it got passed not only him but an inspector as well. He crossed the hydraulic lines when he changed a rudder pcu on a 737 back around 2002. The plane arrived in CLT with one empty system and the other overfilled and puking overboard. The redundancy built into the rudder system saved the day
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to seal cracked crankcase seam? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
... You need something like we used in aviation to seal running fuel leaks from integral wing fuel tanks. ..

Also got a click patch, https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/04-06015.php I have never personally used them though. When I got called in it was because the leak was bad enough someone had to get in the tank Laughing

in the OP's case though I don't think an external adhesive sealant repair at the case damage is the solution.. besides the fact that external sealants are almost always a temporary repair.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: