Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery powered lawn mower
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
It was a Mikita.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Laughing Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

I am seriously looking at these battery powered mowers when my gas mowers finally fall apart. Mine typically rust away long before the engines die.

Ryobi makes a rider that they say can mow about an acre on one charge. That would work for my situation. But, I just wonder how they will handle hitting the occasional cypress knee or tree root lurking in the grass?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

I can't speak for any other mower, but my Kobalt wouldn't last long if that were the case. It's just not as strong/sturdy/etc. as the gas powered ones.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

I personally know someone who's home burned and the fire marshall pointed at the lith-ion battery/charger sitting on a bench still plugged in. Have read in the local rag paper about 2 more similar fires. Are we just lucky around here, or has anybody else heard of similar stories?

Last edited by cbeck on Thu May 24, 2018 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I personally know someone who's home burned and the fire marshall pointed at the nicad battery/charger sitting on a bench still plugged in. Have read in the local rag paper about 2 more similar fires. Are we just lucky around here, or has anybody else heard of similar stories?

Does anyone use NiCad anymore? I thought LiOn was all the rage. Seriously. All of my tools use Lithium Ion batteries, and so does nearly everything on the shelf at the hardware store.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Dang, open mouth-insert foot. Meant lith-ion
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Does anyone use NiCad anymore? I thought LiOn was all the rage. Seriously. All of my tools use Lithium Ion batteries, and so does nearly everything on the shelf at the hardware store.

Although the Milwaukee 18 volt lithium cordless drill I got as gift for 40 year service award is TONS better than my older Sears 19.2 volt NiCad system, I still use the Sears system too. Why? because I also have a stubby drill and a flashlight that fits the Sears batteries.

The Sears drills keyless chucks are just terrible, looks like Jacobs patent was circumvented to save $$$, keep loosening. My NiCad batteries are a few years old and do not hold a charge too many hours, so I keep a battery in the charger at both homes; those batteries are expensive too. The Milwaukee chuck is tons better, and its lithium batteries much better technology.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Yeah, after having three LIon batteries pop & one ignite, I won't allow one of those things to sit on a charger in the house or garage unattended.

One of my pilot buddies told me that his company now requires thermal containment devices on all their aircraft.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

On my Kobalt the battery cannot be charged if it is too warm. Found that out yesterday when after mowing the grass I put the battery on the charger and it would not charge. I noticed the sticker showing that it would not charge if the battery was too warm. I don't leave my batteries on charge unattended or leave them in the cradle. I take them out after charging. I also am now keeping them in a cooler place rather than my shop which gets very hot during the day. I'm hoping this will prolong the life of the batteries
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

there was a local shop that burnt up due to a battery explosion of some sort. it happened when power was restored after a storm.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

The easy solution is to stop leaving fuel in the tank over winter.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
I do realize that batteries don't last forever but if I get five years out of the mower (not counting the blade) and batteries, I'll be happy. Even if I have to replace the battery before then.
my electrick riding mower is a 2015 model year I think....already needs battery..2 years ago..... Shocked thats expensive lawn mowing. ( it takes 3 big 75 amperhour batterys)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

The upside to NiCad is that they can be run stone dead, left that way for months and still be usable. They also do not have a habit of self igniting. LiPo and Lithium Ion on the other hand are ruined if discharged below a given voltage and do self destruct/auto ignite if not treated right. They also take regular maintenance when not in use to keep them in good working order.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:

The fuel tank isn't the issue generally, it is the carb float bowl and the tiny passages in the carb.

Leaving the carb dry is one option, but that can lead to dried and shrunken gaskets, and leaks.

Treating the fuel with a preservative is the other option, along with leaving that treated fuel in the carb and tank. This is my usual plan of action, though it doesn't always work. A good example is my weed wacker, which was tough to start this spring and will only run on full choke. Ran that carb dry as a bone last fall and now I need to tear it apart for repair/replacement. This is the second carb on that POS.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

The fuel tank isn't the issue generally, it is the carb float bowl and the tiny passages in the carb.

Leaving the carb dry is one option, but that can lead to dried and shrunken gaskets, and leaks.

Treating the fuel with a preservative is the other option, along with leaving that treated fuel in the carb and tank. This is my usual plan of action, though it doesn't always work. A good example is my weed wacker, which was tough to start this spring and will only run on full choke. Ran that carb dry as a bone last fall and now I need to tear it apart for repair/replacement. This is the second carb on that POS.

Ahh, I was indicating stale fuel as the issue. Killls the air and machines.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

Ahh, I was indicating stale fuel as the issue. Killls the air and machines.

Good point, and very true. Old fuel makes new engines run poorly, if at all.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

... when I was a kid - back in the 50s, my dad had a big, heavy Craftsman electric reel mower... he never bought gas... lasted over 20 years and when it died, he got a lawn service... still has one.
I mow 3 acres (of our 10) every week and love it... I have 3 Husqvarna riders, kinda' like having 7 VWs and 4 walkers - one of anything, won't do..
. Your battery mower sounds wonderful for a little yard... if we ever get a place on a small lot, a battery mower will work.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Interesting read!

I don't have any lawn to mow anymore thank goodness! I do have many hedges. I've used electric hedge trimmers and got tired of extension cords. I bought a 2 stroke gas powered hedge trimmer. Pain in the butt, hard starting, fuel runs, etc.

The engine in my last gas 2 stroke hedge trimmer through a rod and locked solid. I said screw it and bought this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-24-in-40-Volt-Li.../203763427

I then bought the blower that uses the same battery as well. 2 years in and I couldn't be happier. I figure I need them to last 3 years to meet the ROI I need.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Interesting read!

I don't have any lawn to mow anymore thank goodness! I do have many hedges. I've used electric hedge trimmers and got tired of extension cords. I bought a 2 stroke gas powered hedge trimmer. Pain in the butt, hard starting, fuel runs, etc.

The engine in my last gas 2 stroke hedge trimmer through a rod and locked solid. I said screw it and bought this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-24-in-40-Volt-Li.../203763427

I then bought the blower that uses the same battery as well. 2 years in and I couldn't be happier. I figure I need them to last 3 years to meet the ROI I need.

... back in the 70s, i had a push lawn mower with a Tecumseh 2 stroke engine... lasted a decade and then I always bought used ones for $25 bux
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: