Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery powered lawn mower
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

A goat will do both jobs and is far more environmentally friendly!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Last year, my weedeater finally bit the dust and I decided to make my life a little easier so I bought a four stroke model. I was tired of mixing gas - which was the main reason I switched. But I also liked the advantage of the multiple attachments that you can use with it, whereas my weedeater was only that - a weedeater. So I liked the multiple attachments but it weighed more than my weedeater which I realized after using it. But I looked at it like exercise Smile.

Fast forward one year - this week - the pull cord broke on that darn thing. As I mentioned with my mower, I'm tired of yanking on cords. I have now gone out and bought the battery operated weedeater that goes w the mower - interchangeable batteries. It's lighter.

I guess I'm going to fix the weedeater and sell it.....at a loss, I'm sure.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Ahh and you’re able to eat it when it’s done and get the newest model to grow.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

A neighbor of ours has 2 sheep that keep his 5 acre lawn mowed. Another neighbor has 2 sheep keeping the weeds down on his 5 acre Hazel nut orchard. Goats are better than sheep/cows for brush etc. We have 2 cows & 4 boarded horses on our 5 acres, but do have to irrigate it all. Our lawn I mow with a gas Honda self-propelled rear bagger. I have to stop and empty the bagger over the fence into the field because the cows/horses love the fresh lawn clippings every 2 weeks! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
..... empty the bagger over the fence into the field because the cows/horses love the fresh lawn clippings every 2 weeks! Cool

Careful, cows can handle lawn clippings fine, but they can kill horses, a single sudden large dose of rich green grass can cause them to colic and founder. My wife lost a horse when a neighbor where it was boarded at that time did it a favor and fed it lawn clippings, it was crippled for 2-3 years before it finally passed away, not a pretty sight. Crying or Very sad

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
..... empty the bagger over the fence into the field because the cows/horses love the fresh lawn clippings every 2 weeks! Cool

Careful, cows can handle lawn clippings fine, but they can kill horses, a single sudden large dose of rich green grass can cause them to colic and founder. My wife lost a horse when a neighbor where it was boarded at that time did it a favor and fed it lawn clippings, it was crippled for 2-3 years before it finally passed away, not a pretty sight. Crying or Very sad

I've heard that, but the owners of the horses here told me it was okay. They have 80 head of cattle & 6 more horses elsewhere and are my mentor for horses & cattle!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Some horses are inclined that way. We had one that would grass founder every summer if we didn't pen it in to keep it from over grazing. That was without grass clippings. It never killed it though, just made it lame. The last horse we had would eat anything and everything from grass clippings to table scraps, never had to limit it in anyway and it was fine.

Geese make fine mowers to by the way and double as a watch dog. Just watch where you step as the fertilizing function works overtime with them!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Yeah, some can handle it, others not so much, just a PSA to think twice about doing a horse a favor if you haven't cleared it with the owner first Wink

And yes Geese are great mowers, and I'd rather step in Goose shit than Sheep shit any day, neither is fun, but the GS doesn't stink and is easier to get off Razz Geese are tastier too if one starts laying the attitude on you Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

The green works dual blade (10 inch) and dual battery pack cuts both mine and Moms totally awesome - 2x 3/4 acre yards

No smell, always starts, small and fast blades mulch great.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

You are kidding me.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Don't have the Kobalt electric mower, but I do have the leaf blower and weedeater from that same line.

Good quality stuff. Batteries last quite a long time in those two things. Charges up in 30 min. I've never run out of juice before I finished the job, but even if I did- put the battery on the charge, get a drink or eat lunch and it'd be ready to go before I finish eating.

I've also got the Greenworks 80v snowblower. Wonderful little thing.

My mower is a TroyBilt with a Briggs&Stratton engine. From day one that thing fires up with the first pull, every time.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

I've been mowing the lawn at my house for 31 years and am on my third mower. I run it dry in November every year, change the oil, gap and clean the spark plug, wash the air filter, and fill it up in March with fresh gas and Sta-bil. So far I've had good luck with this procedure, but now because I'm an old guy I'm having a bit of trouble pushing the mower up the slopes of my lawn.

I'm thinking my next mower will have to be self-propelled. Can anyone recommend decent battery powered mowers that are self-propelled and are not priced in the stratosphere? And will it run for two hours at a time (about how long it takes me to mow)? I can easily find an inexpensive self-propelled gas mower on Craig's List, so I may not live long enough to own a battery mower! Laughing

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

I got tired of a 2 stroke weedwacker so I decided to try a Black & Decker battery one. What a piece of junk. Battery was advertised to last 30-45 minutes. Best I could do was 10-15 when battery was new. Needed 2 batteries to be able to finish. Would gradually lose life after each use. Batteries weren't cheap either and the rechargers didn't last more then 2 years. It was way more expensive in the long run then a 2 stroke model. I can easily go a whole year on a gallon of gas for weedwacking, so I went back to a 2 stroke. Lesson learned. No battery operated lawn tools for me.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I've been mowing the lawn at my house for 31 years and am on my third mower. I run it dry in November every year, change the oil, gap and clean the spark plug, wash the air filter, and fill it up in March with fresh gas and Sta-bil. So far I've had good luck with this procedure, but now because I'm an old guy I'm having a bit of trouble pushing the mower up the slopes of my lawn.

I'm thinking my next mower will have to be self-propelled. Can anyone recommend decent battery powered mowers that are self-propelled and are not priced in the stratosphere? And will it run for two hours at a time (about how long it takes me to mow)? I can easily find an inexpensive self-propelled gas mower on Craig's List, so I may not live long enough to own a battery mower! Laughing

10 years per push mower using it at 2 hours per cut is a pretty good life. They usually fall apart way before that like the wheels breaking or deck rusting away.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

In our experience, everything in the battery powered Stihl line works as intended.

Great life on the individual battery packs and for big jobs they have a backpack mount battery bank that cords to the tool for extended use.

Think about the energy that goes into just starting a cold string trimmer. It is the younger employees here that run them and they always struggle to start them (over choke, no choke, choke when warm, ignition switch off, etc.) Not to mention the occasional slip up of filling straight gas into the machine that takes mix. Rolling Eyes

Now all they have to fuss with is the line feed.

The battery powered walk behind mower is not going to cut a hay field but for small lawns it sure is nice to wield such a light and nimble tool. We really don't have an application for it here on the golf course. Lots of the new pieces available for turf management are battery powered implement with on board gas generator for charging...hybrid.
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Another vote for the corded (120V) lawn mowers... We've had ours for more than 15 years, and don't do anything at all to maintain it - just sharpen the blade every now and then. (The electric switch failed about 10 years ago, but was an easy replacement with parts on-line. The latch that keeps the handle from flipping back and forth so easily also broke at some point, but I like it better with that part broken - easier to change directions that way.)

I'm a big fan of corded tools, for anything bigger than my old Makita drills & such; the only gas tool we have is the snow-blower. Even our little roto-tiller is corded. But we have a small yard.

If the yard is small enough for a battery job, I'd think it's small enough for a corded mower... Which takes out the worry of "planned obsolescence via the unavailable battery" mode of selling the next mower model.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

What's anyone know about the new robotic mowers? They just started selling them here, and I bet that in 5 years, once the technology gets better and the price comes down, they'll be a big deal.

Anybody have any experience with them?

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

e&m_ghia wrote:
Another vote for the corded (120V) lawn mowers... We've had ours for more than 15 years, and don't do anything at all to maintain it - just sharpen the blade every now and then.

Our corded B&D mower has lasted us 27 years. We have a very small lawn now, about 20' x 30'. I have only mowed over the cord 4 times in almost 3 decades.

However ... the next mower will be battery. And it might be my last.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

I've been on vacation twice this year. I have Bermuda grass and you have to cut it about twice a week to keep it looking good. When I have come back from vacation, the grass has been high and it's been a pain to cut - high grass uses up battery power pretty quickly. I have several batteries but after taking it out of the mower, the battery has to cool down in order for the charger to work so I have to wait on it.

I think I'm going to have my gas lawn mower repaired.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Battery powered lawn mower Reply with quote

Quote:
What's anyone know about the new robotic mowers? They just started selling them here, and I bet that in 5 years, once the technology gets better and the price comes down, they'll be a big deal.

That's funny, we were just in Sweden and Norway on holidays and we saw husqvarna robot mowers all over the place. Steep hills and all, so somebody likes them.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: