Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Ignition switch removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: 1974 Ignition switch removal Reply with quote

I need help figuring out how to remove my ignition switch so I can replace the electrical portion. Everything I read says there should be a plate with two screws that you remove and then you can slide the entire ignition switch out, but on my 1974 I see no screws or plate, so I can’t figure out to remove it.
Here is a picture of what I have:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ignition switch removal Reply with quote

I just pulled the plate that goes across from lock cylinder to center, but it didn’t release the ignition cylinder portion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ignition switch removal Reply with quote

Might try removing that big ol' snap ring.
No stabilizer used here, so maybe take a Dramamine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppMwQTcp3f4
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ignition switch removal Reply with quote

Prior to the video you linked starting, it looks like the snap ring and plastic collar have been removed. I guess I’ll remove the snap ring and see if the collar can then be removed. Don’t like the fact that he says in the video that he pounded it with a hammer and a screwdriver to remove it. Hopefully I don’t need to force it off.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ignition switch removal Reply with quote

There is bolt a under the plastic housing , it's either a sheer anti theft bolt to remove or a 6 mm Allen head bolt . Then remove the plastic sleeve and then unhook the electrical plugs . You should be able to remove the switch housing to get the screw out for the ignition switch . Do you have a Bentley manual and good luck . It's not bad to do . You don't remove the snap ring .
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ignition switch removal Reply with quote

You need to drill a small hole in the housing to release the lock cylinder. Do a search to get the necessary measurements.
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ignition switch removal Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
There is bolt a under the plastic housing , it's either a sheer anti theft bolt to remove or a 6 mm Allen head bolt . Then remove the plastic sleeve and then unhook the electrical plugs . You should be able to remove the switch housing to get the screw out for the ignition switch . Do you have a Bentley manual and good luck . It's not bad to do . You don't remove the snap ring .

I removed the 6mm bolt, but still can’t get the assembly to come off. Is there something else attaching it? I,ve removed all wire connectors and the washer tubing.
I’m thinking that circlip needs to come off, but don’t want to start taking things apart if I don’t need to.
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ignition switch removal Reply with quote

Success!! After removing snap ring and collar, I was able to remove the upper portion and access the switch. Now, all I need to do is find a replacement electric portion of switch and run a new wire from fuse panel to coil. I’m trying to figure out the best way to do that, and I have a separate thread going on that.
Thanks to all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: