Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Bay Window Busses.... 1975 Kombi and 1978 Riviera
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
petergariepy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: My Bay Window Busses.... 1975 Kombi and 1978 Riviera Reply with quote

I've been an owner of a 1978 VW Bus Riviera for about 6 years. It's my daily driver and I doubt i'll ever sell it.

Yesterday (May 19th) I purchased a rough but rust free 1975 Kombi!

It runs and drives well, but OMG, does it need work.
Surface rust galore, but no rust thru at all.
Has A/C (but no compressor)
Includes all the original seats but they are in dire need of reupholstrey.
Glass is all in great shape and the rubber is functional, but probably should be replaced.
Comes with an awesome hand made luggage rack. Steel 3/4 inch square steel tubing.
Type 4 engine. Documentation shows it was rebuilt about 7 years ago.
I bought it from a old Yogi who decorated it with misc internal flags and banners. Unfortunately it was glued to the headliner. Looks bad, but headliner is still intact so i'll leave it be for now.

The bus is a filthy mess. Since purchase i've pulled the seats except the drivers, all the floor coverings - front is trashed, rear and between seats are salvageable. The rubber under and behind the seats just desenegrated.

Questions:
Suggestions how where do i get replacement upholstery along with padding etc.?
Suggestions on where to get front floor mat, and rubber under/behind seats.?
I've been told to attend to the fuel filter and fuel lines in the engine compartment. Feedback?
Front end was "bumped" and currently covered with some bondo. Bondo could probably be redone. Feedback?
I've had some success with Evapo-rust and a scotch pad to clean the surface rust some. Any feedback?

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Peter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: My Bay Window Busses.... 1975 Kombi and 1978 Riviera Reply with quote

fuel lines- yes
also rubber brake line if it is OG
have you read about the football trick for the nose? you have a lot of bondo up there on the nose, but folks that have had push in from a spare tire, or a dent from pushing the bus backward, are able to mostly bump the nose back out by placing a defated football inside between the nose and other structure. then pump up the football. You would want to remove all the old filer first prob. It may not be 100%, but it would be a lot less filler that what it looks like you have now.
Good luck!
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Bay Window Busses.... 1975 Kombi and 1978 Riviera Reply with quote

That roof rack is sweet! Looks like an offroady type bus to me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: