Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Genuine VW Fog Lamps
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Genuine VW Fog Lamps Reply with quote

I have bought a set of genuine VW fog lamps which has the VW logo in the glass of the lamps as a raised section. I have not seen these lamps before.
The instructions show a VW fog lamp switch similar to the headlight switch. Has anyone come across these fog lamp switches - see photograph below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
baxsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Genuine VW Fog Lamps Reply with quote

No idea on the switch. But dang, what a good find Smile Can you post some pictures of the actual lights?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Genuine VW Fog Lamps Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
I have bought a set of genuine VW fog lamps which has the VW logo in the glass of the lamps as a raised section.

So.. they shine a beam in the shape of the VW emblem? Razz

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Genuine VW Fog Lamps Reply with quote

The actual switch is easy to find, it is a simple on and off with 2 wire connections on the back. The hard part is finding the proper insert for the knob. The one in your instructions is wrong unless you do things different than everyone else. The right insert should have the light rays angled down not straight forward. The switch is the same as the one found on a bus for the rear glass heater I believe. There may still be a fog light switch for a porsche in the classifieds that would also be correct for a bug. I justed looked in the classifieds and the fog switch is still there, 914 porsche fog light switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Genuine VW Fog Lamps Reply with quote

looks simular to the contemporaneous 914 fog lamp switch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Fog-Light-Swi...mp;vxp=mtr

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1842564

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2044214

good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Genuine VW Fog Lamps Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on the Porsche 914 switch which is exactly the same as the VW switch. I managed to get 4 new ones from Germany.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Genuine VW Fog Lamps Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
The actual switch is easy to find, it is a simple on and off with 2 wire connections on the back. The hard part is finding the proper insert for the knob. The one in your instructions is wrong unless you do things different than everyone else. The right insert should have the light rays angled down not straight forward. The switch is the same as the one found on a bus for the rear glass heater I believe. There may still be a fog light switch for a porsche in the classifieds that would also be correct for a bug. I justed looked in the classifieds and the fog switch is still there, 914 porsche fog light switch.

I believe the difference in the insert picture on the knob is between fog lamps, and driving lamps. Fog lamps should be wired such as they are on with low beam headlights, but turn off with high beam headlights. Driving lights are on with high beam, off with low beam. That is how my fog lamps are hooked up in the 914 per factory. They turn off when high beam is selected.

Bug On, with excellent visability!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Genuine VW Fog Lamps Reply with quote

You are right about how they should be wired, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the insert symbol. As far as I know, there is only one universal symbol for the fog lights. The symbol and the insert on the instruction sheet is for black out lights I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: