Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tighten Brazilian Mirrors?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey Ryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

I have had these mirrors for the past couple years. They've slowly become loose and will move out of alignment as I drive.

Do you have these and do you know if they can be tightened? The joint with the arrow is where they have become loose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know they aren't OG. I like larger size mirror and look.

I tried removing them and spinning them to see if I could tighten the screw. It appears to be a ball joint and I can't see anything that would allow me to tighten the ball joint.

Worse case, I'll go back to OG Mirrors.

Thanks
Casey

Blog: www.facebook.com/VWBusBlog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

Edit - see the next post after this for the solution.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon May 21, 2018 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

Look at the underside of the actual mirror housing. (Not the part that attaches to the Bus.) There are two phillips screws. Tighten them a little bit and you'll be all set.

I recently installed these on my '78 and like them a lot.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casey Ryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

Thanks vwwestyman!

I'll give that a try tonight. I did notice the phillips screws and tried tightening one of them but was more focused on spinning the whole thing like an idiot.

SO glad there's a way to do this.

BTW, looks like at least part Dane. I've got one too. Loves the bus.

Casey

Blog: www.facebook.com/VWBusBlog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

Casey Ryan wrote:
Thanks vwwestyman!

I'll give that a try tonight. I did notice the phillips screws and tried tightening one of them but was more focused on spinning the whole thing like an idiot.

SO glad there's a way to do this.

BTW, looks like at least part Dane. I've got one too. Loves the bus.

Casey

Yup, Jackson is a Great Dane. He loves the bus! I have a long rope with a leash clip on one end, and a caribeaner on the other end. I hook the caribeaner to either a front tow loop or rear trailer hitch loop. Whenever I'm out front doing something (bus or otherwise) Jackson loves for me to hook him up on the rope so he can hang out in the bus and "help."

You do have to rotate the mirror to access one of the screws.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

I've started to have this issue with my passenger side one. Its only 5 months old too. I've tightened the 2 screws down as tight as they can as mentioned above. But it still has the tendency to still move out of view on its own. Any other pointers or has anyone diassembled them to tighten that up as it that ball joint does screw into the lower housing?

buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

My drivers side mirror fell apart after 1 day. The glass literally just fell out. Passenger side will not stay adjusted even after following all the advice folks have given. Really disappointed with these mirrors and even more so due to the price.
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

buckswilde wrote:
My drivers side mirror fell apart after 1 day. The glass literally just fell out. Passenger side will not stay adjusted even after following all the advice folks have given. Really disappointed with these mirrors and even more so due to the price.

I found and purchased mine from here direct from Brazil. http://www.vwantigo.net/shop/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=2959
Saved a ton of money doing this even with shipping. Total was around $90 for the pair. Marco the owner was a pleasure to deal with and shipping was about 3 weeks to my doorstep. I'm not to concerned with the cost aspect if I have to buy another since it was cheaper.

Do you still have the one the glass fell out on? I'd like to if possible what the inside looks like for disassembly. You may also be able to re-adhesive your glass back on?

Drivers side is holding up fine. Passenger side is just the only one Im starting to have this issue with adjustment stabilty on. Found that diagram online and thought I'd ask others on this first. Thought maybe someone has corrected it.
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

Just for others information here if their mirrors loosen. I first sprayed some carb cleaner up into the ball socket. This helps remove any lube up in there. I used a 7/16 wrench under the rubber boot to tighten the shaft about a 1/4 turn.

Then got a small ratchet with extension on it and gave the 2 screws another turn slowly. My hand strength couldnt go anymore with a normal screwdriver. It all made a vast improvement and mirror seems to be holding more and alot stiffer. If it happens again I'm going to get longer screws with torqx or allen heads.

Also found these videos showing some Jeep mirrors that are pretty much the same. And others have the same issue as some of us are.
https://youtu.be/06wdmJ1AzB4
https://youtu.be/FE3ux9A_AQA

Hope all this helps others.
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

I have been thinking about getting a set of these for my van, but I'm in Australia so RHD. Do you think these LHD mirrors would work, or could be modified to fit my van?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

Worst case scenario you smash out the convex glass in the RH one (if they are convex) and have a local glass guy cut you a flat replacement. Not sure how you could modify the LH to convex if you wanted that, your local glass shop may have convex blanks they can cut to fit any mirror, ask them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

It’s more would the mirrors be able to be moved to allow viewing from the drivers seat, or passengers seat in a LHD, some mirrors I’ve found are designed to be just on LHD to to put them on a RHD would involve cutting away the support inside or adding in plastic
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

After 7 years… the black rtv wore off or gave up that I used. Didn’t want to have to buy a new mirror just for that. Plus didn’t like the look without it.Looked online and couldn’t find just the cover stateside.

Contacted Bus Depot to see if they sold just the cover. They had them in their outlet. They had a handful on the shelf he said. Ordered two replacement covers for $7.13 shipped. https://www.busdepot.com/ws358 Not sure how long they will have em. Cheaper than a new mirror. Just a little FYI for others.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tighten Brazilian Mirrors? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Look at the underside of the actual mirror housing. (Not the part that attaches to the Bus.) There are two phillips screws. Tighten them a little bit and you'll be all set.

I recently installed these on my '78 and like them a lot.

Dog tested, Dog dad approved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: