Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock p/c
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Stock p/c Reply with quote

I've got some pretty excessive blowby on my stock 1600. A quick compression check shows high 130's on all cylinders, but I've been pointed to that it is most likely cracks in the piston. Makes sense because I turboed it and the associated problems that can cause. Anyway I am going to just put new p/c on it. Is there any one manufacturer I should stay away from? Or one that is superior to the others? Just looking for a low cost cast set. Maybe someone has a link to a good sale somewhere?
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

I've had great success with AA. Clean them and orient the rings properly though!

Also CB performance has Mexican Moresa brand ones I believe. I've heard they sometimes are conducive to larger than normal deck height. True? I don't know. How much? Don't know either.

I'd use AA for a stock motor.

-Frank
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

I would just do the thick wall if you're doing heads too, they are 92's at the head and the super thick 88 give a 1679cc made by AA-Performance. Cheap upgrade. Cheap Chinese though but good for up to 6000 rpm. But if you want cheaper ones I think the 85.5cc will do. If you want performance ones they are usually bigger bores. https://aapistons.com/
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

I considered getting 88's but to get it back on the road I'm going to stick with stock size. Also I kind of want to see what I can do with a stock engine.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
Also CB performance has Mexican Moresa brand ones I believe.

That's what I used in my 1600cc DP rebuild 1.5 years ago. They came with made-in-USA Grant rings.

The piston weights were spot-on.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

Thanks I will check those out. See how they handle some boost.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

Cusser, how did you find the deck height with those, since you have firsthand experience with them? Anything abnormal?

-Frank
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

If you have 130+psi on all 4 cylinders I don't think you have any cracked pistons.
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

I may not. I'm going to do a leak down test this weekend and see what I find. There isn't much other way to get that much pressure in the crank case though. Valve guide leak maybe? Intake valve wouldn't cause it, exhaust valve wouldn't cause it.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stock p/c Reply with quote

You know I was just thinking, I wonder if I had an oil ring fail in the turbo could that be forcing exhaust into the crank case via the drain?
My problem is if it is worth risking it for $150 for new p/c
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: