Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 KG Door Activated Front Seat Back Release
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: 1967 KG Door Activated Front Seat Back Release Reply with quote

I'm restoring a 1967 Karmann Ghia convertible to stock, and I can't find anything on the one-year-only door activated front seat back release. It's a spring loaded cable running from a lever on the hinge side of the door jam to the front seat back release latch. When the door is opened, it allows the lever arm to rotate up/out, the spring uncompresses and pulls the cable connected to seat back latch, freeing the seat back to move forward for access to the rear seat. When the door is closed, the lever is pushed in/down, compressing the spring, relaxing the cable to the seat back latch, allowing the seat back to lock normally into the upright position.

When I bought my 1967 Ghia it came with 1968 seats, and the original seat back release cable was left laying on the floor under the seat. I acquired 1967 front seats, but appear to be missing the part(s) that connect the cable to the seat frame. The mounting bracket under the front seat, and the part (311881949) that connects to it, are too elaborate to be held in place by just a bolt like the other end of the cable near the door. My guess is there are some parts missing that would allow 311881949 to slide in and clip on so it can be easily connected or disconnected when working on the seat. I do see some very minor signs of wear on the edge of the rails of 311881949, and I can envision the notch being used to hold it into place.

Can someone with an intact 1967 seat back release cable clarify how it mounts to the underside of the seat? Any details you can provide on the needed parts would be greatly appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FYI, a closer look at the cleaned up door jamb hardware:
Daddylolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 KG Door Activated Front Seat Back Release Reply with quote

This is my October 66 Convertible driver seat, you can see the small hook that connects to the cable from the seat release sistem. My car is just the same. It is secured to the back rest catch. Hope it helps.

'67 Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TIVGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 KG Door Activated Front Seat Back Release Reply with quote

If you look about two inches forward and 2 inches up from the hinge where the seatback attaches to the seat bottom, you should find a metal tab with weld nut on the inside of the seat frame. Stick a bolt through the vinyl and then you secure the metal piece attached to the cable. Sliding it fore and aft adjusts the latch release point.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 KG Door Activated Front Seat Back Release Reply with quote

These images are taken out of the parts book and show all the parts involved in this system in a line-drawing depiction. The VW Kuco 311881949 "fork" (#34) is held in place simply by a Hex head bolt (#36) M 5 X 12 and washer (#35) A 5.3. The spring tension of the cable will keep the eyelet that is on the end of the cable attached to the hook that has the little appendage that is built into the seat. Then to maintain the tension, the Kuco fork (#34) will be affixed to the side of the seat by the above bolt.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 KG Door Activated Front Seat Back Release Reply with quote

found in the photo gallery

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: