Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Step 1 beam rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
exsystem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Step 1 beam rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks to all the Samba members and You Tube I was able to put together this 3 inch narrowed beam with sway away adjusters. I probably have 10 hours logged on this build which took me about a month to complete (meaning installed back in the car). Lots of cutting, grinding, sanding, polishing, welding and painting. I think the most important thing for me was to measure out everything and put it on paper. I have it back in the bug and currently working on the rear so I plan to post pics after the lowered suspension is completed. Here is a before and after of the beam.
Narrowed 3 inches
Welded in sway away adjusters with sleeve inserts
New Lowered upper and lower ball joints
New 2.5 drop spindles
New 3/4 narrowed sway bar
sway bar ez clamps
new bushings
narrowed and tapped tie rods
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No lie the hardest part of the build was replacing the ball joints. Now I know why people buy these beams rather than build them.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Step 1 beam rebuild Reply with quote

Its fun to do! That's why I do it!

Looks good. Don't forget to set your alignment angles. And don't forget the grease. Pack those ball joints with new grease!

Looking forward to seeing the rear.

What shocks are you going to use?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
exsystem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Step 1 beam rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments and advice. I ordered a set of empi lowered shocks and I will see how that will work. I will post pics when complete. Thanks!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Step 1 beam rebuild Reply with quote

I am no expert on lowered front ends, because there are so many options currently. Those lowered shocks may not be the right choice, due to the already dropped spindles. You may just need stock ones. Again, no expert. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Step 1 beam rebuild Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I am no expert on lowered front ends, because there are so many options currently. Those lowered shocks may not be the right choice, due to the already dropped spindles. You may just need stock ones.

Different manufactures have their own way of making dropped spindles. It would be best to contact your vender and see what they say.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: