Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EVan Winnebago top seems latched but pass side not flush to roof
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: EVan Winnebago top seems latched but pass side not flush to roof Reply with quote

My new-ish to me '97 has a bit of swayback to the top but mostly out in the middle, not where the rubber meets the roof (and I'm not willing to spend 5 grand$ for a new top). Main problem: the pass. side latch catches (as does the driver's side), but leaves the rubber seal a quarter inch or more open at the front near the luggage rack on the pass. side. If I pull down on it from the outside (just standing next to the van, just behind the luggage rack, reaching up with all fingers folded over the top, giving a quick jerk down, it can be pulled to close the gap. Even without the jerk downward, just pulling closes it a lot. So how do I get the latch on that side to hold it down tighter? (And yes, I know once it is tighter, it will need to have a little grease at the latch itself to make it open without damage.)
Regarding the swayback sag: Has anyone been able to put temporary supports up under the roof with the top partly lifted, and then apply pressure in some way that will reduce the amount of sag. There must be thousands of Winnies out there with some sag- anyone improved it? (OK, my previous owner had a Yak-rack up there mounted on the flat (on some sort of metal rails, that also have a sag), not off the verticle surfaces on the side. At present I feel it's prudent to park on a slope if there's rain coming, so it won't hold a puddle in the middle of the sag. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: HELP!! EVan Winnebago top latch pass is high- water entering Reply with quote

Second call for HELP, almost 3 weeks since first posted- someone must know how to tighten the hold-down latch if the rubber seal is not touching the metal of the roof. --pinetreeporsche, aka Chris H in VA
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! EVan Winnebago top latch pass is high- water entering Reply with quote

Each latch is like a car door. There should be two clicks. On the first click, the latch is loosely latched, just like a car door that isn't closed all the way. On the second click, it's securely latched.
This is a good thing. You can drop the top down to the first click and then walk around the vehicle to make sure there aren't any spots where the canvas is poking out, and once satisfied, pull the latches down through their second clicks.
Winnebago put handles on each side of the inside of the top so you can pull it down into position. A lot of people have yanked their handles right out, though, so your handles may be gone. Stepping outside and pulling down on the roof is another perfectly acceptable way to get it latched as well, but I don't know why you need to jerk. You should be able to hang your weight on it and it should latch.
It sounds to me like your passenger side is fine, but somebody adjusted your driver side too short.
Adjustment is not a secret procedure. You can see that there are big hooks in the top held in place by a lock nut. Just loosen the lock nut and turn the hook to lengthen it or shorten it. Then tighten the lock nut.

If the previous owner provided you with the paper Operator's Manual, see page 5-8 where it says "Pull down firmly on roof handles one at a time until each latch locks with two distinct 'clicks'." If you don't have a paper manual you can find a pdf on Winnebago's site.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: EVan Winnebago top seems latched but pass side not flush to roof Reply with quote

Thanks, JMB. I got the pass side front hold-down latch to function properly, along with the driver's side which worked when I bought the van.
BUT I've realized there's another place where there's a poor fit: part way back along the driver's side, there's a gradual rise of the roof, until there's a 3/16 inch gap at the back of the roof, near the mechanical support, leaving an entry for rain-- no doubt under way, and when parked if there's a good wind from the side. So- the new problem: IS THERE A WAY TO ACCESS THE REAR CORNER TO SNUG IT TIGHT TO THE ROOF WHEN IN THE CLOSED POSITION??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: