Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil filter stuck
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

The oil filter that’s currently on won’t move. I have a filter wrench, the kind that’s basically a dish to match the faces on the filter. When I turn the wrench, if I apply enough force, it skips but the son of a b**** filter won’t turn. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

square bladed screwdriver with a pan under it to catch the oil that will leak. Stick the screwdriver thru the middle of it and use it as a lever.. Or get an old leather belt and wrap it around the filter, use a pair of vice grips to grab and turn like an oil strap wrench - which will also work quite well. I keep a couple of them around for moments like you are having. You can also hit the base with a chisel and hammer. That method will destroy the mount if you slip or are not careful. We used to have to unspin the fiat 124 spider and coupe filters from above with a long screwdriver that way.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

Have you tried a higher quality filter wrench, they are much more sturdier than the junky stuff you get from Wally World.

Yes you may have to do the screwdriver method that SG Kent mentions, not desirable to do, but sometimes necessary.

Filters don't need to be all that super tight either, most will specify how far to turn them past contact. 3/4 of a turn is typical.

If you don't travel off road and don't have a lowered bus, then next time use a Motorcraft FL-1a filter or equivalent, it is a bit longer and makes removal easier.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

-are you trying to turn it the proper direction?

-get a big pair of channel-lock pliers to turn it (that's how i've done it since i can't evern remember how long, and it's been even longer since i've owned a "true" oil filter wrench). you're not trying to save it, so it really doesn't matter if you dent/crimp the bottom of the filter while removing it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

Righty-tighty Leftie-loosie; Upside downy turn arouny? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

all for puncturing it, but there was a steel oil filter wrench that was sold
a decade ago (seems they are all hard plastic with a partial claw these days)
this older wrench came with a continuous steel strap, so it fully wrapped
around the filter body, so more tug equaled more bite on the body, I loved
it to death, ended up tweaking the joint where the handle met the strap.
but it worked where other filter wrenches slipped/ failed.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

That still gets me sometimes...
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

Below is a picture of my DIY solution: drill two holes on the side of the dish. Put the dish against the filter. Drill two small holes on the filter. Wait for gallons of oil to pour out, even though the engine has already been emptied. Screw in two small screws. Turn dish with wrench without it slipping. Win.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

Francoc wrote:
Below is a picture of my DIY solution: drill two holes on the side of the dish. Put the dish against the filter. Drill two small holes on the filter. Wait for gallons of oil to pour out, even though the engine has already been emptied. Screw in two small screws. Turn dish with wrench without it slipping. Win.

Krafty and elegant, nice work!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

What's elegant about the F-word on the filter? Finger tight means just that. Any more potentially damages the filter parts, constricting the bypass circuit.
Have used the screwdriver method in a jam.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

First time I seen that one, that'll work.
punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and drain it first, that way it won't be so messy.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Hands down best post all day! Thanks for the chuckle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

And steer clear of Fram filters. 100% pure crap.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

I tired to find an oil filter video as a gag but everyone of them was 5 minutes or more. Off to bed, good night. BTW, anyone know how to care for a sick alligator lizard the dog tossed around? The vet was out and everyone else said let it die. Can't do that. I'll probably dream Godzilla is chasing me now and the Alligator Lizard that I was nice to drives up in my VW bus and rescues me before Godzilla tries to kill me.

Use a screwdriver next time. If not then use 3 screws to get the best bite in case one breaks.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

My Mom used to pay me 10 cents for every lizard I shot with my BB gun. Made enough to pay my way through college.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
...anyone know how to care for a sick alligator lizard the dog tossed around? The vet was out and everyone else said let it die. Can't do that. I'll probably dream Godzilla is chasing me now and the Alligator Lizard that I was nice to drives up in my VW bus and rescues me before Godzilla tries to kill me.

Have you been to the desert in a Bus with no name? With alligator lizards in the air, seasons crying, and such?

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

Francoc wrote:

interesting concept, but a big channel-lock would have had the filter loosened before you were finished drilling the first hole in that filter socket tool thing. and with a lot less mess.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
SGKent wrote:
...anyone know how to care for a sick alligator lizard the dog tossed around? The vet was out and everyone else said let it die. Can't do that. I'll probably dream Godzilla is chasing me now and the Alligator Lizard that I was nice to drives up in my VW bus and rescues me before Godzilla tries to kill me.

Have you been to the desert in a Bus with no name? With alligator lizards in the air, seasons crying, and such?

yes - it was a 1971 bay and it gave me an easy peaceful feeling. Broke down once and oh my lord it was a girl in a flatbed who slowed to help.

Channel locks would have done the job in 15 seconds. I keep one of these around for that type event too - there are many different styles and some use a ratchet so they work in a confined space. While drilling two holes was creative, to me it is overkill like preheating eggs in six stages before boiling them. Glad it worked out.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

The tool in the post above mine is available with a pivoting handle so it can angle down and spare your knuckles a high-speed visit into the fan shroud.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter stuck Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
yes - it was a 1971 bay and it gave me an easy peaceful feeling. Broke down once and oh my lord it was a girl in a flatbed who slowed to help.

Too bad it was a Ford. But it's hard to find words that rhyme with Volkswagen. Confused
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: