Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powerglide trans with vw starter
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

Any one have pictures or kit to install a vw starter to a PG trans ?
Looking to put the starter on the bellhousing side so I can run all the vw cooling tins
Thinking about a bus bellhousing and cutting off the bell on the trans , will this work has anyone done this ?
If you have a trans with this done I might buy it even if just the case that can be rebuilt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

Marty Staggs or maybe it was Skaggs had a race care with VW engine in front and powerglide and conventional differential. He used to have a web sight where he sold turbo stuff. You can try a Google search for him. He might be able to advise you as how to go about it.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

Probably going to need some type of adapter plate like 1/4 aluminum between motor and trans.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

Ye I will need the plate that goes between engine and trans , I have found that part
I got a flywheel adapter from Marty
Looking for away to mount starter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

I think unless you go direct drive you are not going to be able to run a torque converter.
what is the application of this motor/trans, race car, street car?
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

I don't know if you can use a VW starter on a GM flex plate. Do the gears mesh?
My VW dragster is VW engine with a powerglide. It uses a reverse rotation Chevy starter mounted on the bell housing. Custom fab work to the bell housing to mount the starter there. Not overly elaborate though

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
I don't know if you can use a VW starter on a GM flex plate. Do the gears mesh?
My VW dragster is VW engine with a powerglide. It uses a reverse rotation Chevy starter mounted on the bell housing. Custom fab work to the bell housing to mount the starter there. Not overly elaborate though

I would like to see some pictures of your BH with the mod done , even some measurements will help .
I think you can change the gears on the VW hi torque starter to match the chevy flex plate
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

I picked up a core aluminum PG today so fun should begin soon
Really need some pictures or measurements of one that has been done
First step is to get this thing clean
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

I don't know if its needed but some information on how to reverse direction of a starter can be found on robotics websites where they use starters as forward reverse motors. Involved messing with the coils but just the hook up points.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Powerglide trans with vw starter Reply with quote

Trans all cleaned up , can't seam to find info on how to add the starter pocket anywhere . any info pictures , web sites , shops that do this I need help
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: