Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My baja build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evernon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Nice work! I am working on a plan for my rear brakes on a similar build and I am wondering what sort of a mount you fabricated to attach the wilwood caliper th the front side of your boxed arm?
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Thanks
Once I determined where I wanted the parking brake, I made a template and fabricated a bracket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Thanks
Once I determined where I wanted the parking brake, I made a template and fabricated a bracket.

thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

joemicari wrote:

Man that thing looks awesome! Keep up the good work. I’ll be following your build for sure.

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

The parking brake caliper position looks good. But even more I applaud the location chosen for the primary brake caliper. Putting it on the forward side of the axle means that there is substantially less leverage on the trailing arm when the brakes are applied, thus reducing squat under braking. This is even more important on an offroad car than on pavement as being on the brakes when you hit a bump makes the bump far more severe.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

I really enjoy your build you must have access to some serious fab equipment. allot more than just a 4 inch grinder mig wilder and a cutting torch. impressed in the punch and die for the door jamb work. did you make right an left dies or use the same stamping for both sides?
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Thank you. Actually, very limited fab equipment. Purchased a hydraulic pipe bender and a 48” hand break to go with my welders and torch. Have access to a laser and nickel plating but have only used a few times. Lots of ways to cut metal but you really need equipment to form.
This is a perfect example of where I wish I had a mill. My fuse panel is just formed aluminum. Luckily it is hidden in the glove box as it is very rough. Would be a nice piece in 1/4” or 3/8” thick aluminum plate machined and assembled. Maybe someday I will buy a mill and redo this. Probably not though.
The left and right door jam plates are not symmetrical so had to make different dies to form each.
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Very nice rotisserie! Did you fab that also?

Very nice work on the whole project!
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Well, wiring is taking me longer then I expected but making significant progress. All wires pulled and currently connecting gauges and switches. Decided to pull some extra wires to the front and rear to make it easy to add accessories. Also have 2 extra switches installed, one on a relay. Using shrink tubing on every terminal crimp. Need to go back and add on my fuse block wires. Do not need to be chasing an electrical problem later and shrink tubing should help. Installed a starter relay. No down side to putting this in front of the solenoid. Decided to add a ground block in the rear of the car (in front of fuel cell) Just looks cleaner. All wires not behind the dash are either bundled in full length shrink tubing or a wire management jacket. No exposed bundles or even individual wires.
Even with all the thought and planning, I dread the first day I power everything up since I know I will be chasing several wiring issues.

joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

All my wiring checked out so I dressed up the mess behind the dash and started to install the dash. Before I tighten the bolts, I will check everything again. Also connected the clutch and brake lines since they run behind the dash. Just need to bleed them.
So this was troubling. I bought a Holley red electric fuel pump. Installed only to find out it did not work. Spent an hour troubleshooting my wiring before I realized it was defective. Point is, I should have bench tested it first. I connected the pump to the ignition but also ran it through a switch. Can quickly stop the pump in an accident.
The red toggle is for my emergency blinkers.

thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Nice looking dash!

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Jomicari,

Once you get that shifter adjusted right, your going to love it. I put that in my baja and it is so tight compared to any other shifter I have used. I was torn between the procar or the xpro and for the price, it's almost as good

joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Good to know. It was recommended to me but I struggled with the price. Decided the shifter was not where I should be frugal. 5 months away from trying it. That’s when the snow is melted here
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

joemicari wrote:
Good to know. It was recommended to me but I struggled with the price. Decided the shifter was not where I should be frugal. 5 months away from trying it. That’s when the snow is melted here

Its a little finicky to adjust but once its right its pretty sweet. By finicky I just mean smallest adjustment makes a difference.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

joemicari wrote:
So this was troubling. I bought a Holley red electric fuel pump. Installed only to find out it did not work. Spent an hour troubleshooting my wiring before I realized it was defective. Point is, I should have bench tested it first. I connected the pump to the ignition but also ran it through a switch. Can quickly stop the pump in an accident.

This brings up an issue that has been brought right in front of my face just recently.

Our race team includes a 1600 single seat race buggy. During a race this year, the race conditions were VERY dusty. Our driver was struggling to see anything, as were other drivers. He came to a sudden stop when he ran into another race car stopped in the course. Then moments later he was hit from behind by a truck. The car in front had flipped onto its side before he hit it. When the truck hit, it tore the entire back of the frame off about even with the bell housing. The engine too was torn clean off the car and thrown many yards away. The hard hit caused the driver a severe concussion and rendered him temporarily incapable of controlling his limbs. He was entirely unable to shut off the ignition and fuel pump switches. Thus the fuel pump kept spraying fuel out of the torn off fuel line and ignited that spray. Bystanders got Steven out of the car before he was burned, but the car was toasted up to right behind the beam. The car that was laying on its side was apparently not burned nor was the truck that had its front suspension torn off. Steven's doctor wife has benched him for at least a year due to the concussion on top of previous similar concussions.

So I'm thinking it would be wise to install an impact switch that would shut off the fuel pump and other stuff in a severe impact. Many late model vehicles include such a switch.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions about this? I'm buying a buggy with an electric fuel pump and I would like to know which switch to get for this and our team mate's new buggy. Not to mention spreading the word including to Tech Inspectors and rule writers.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
joemicari wrote:

This brings up an issue that has been brought right in front of my face just recently.

Our race team includes a 1600 single seat race buggy. During a race this year, the race conditions were VERY dusty. Our driver was struggling to see anything, as were other drivers. He came to a sudden stop when he ran into another race car stopped in the course. Then moments later he was hit from behind by a truck. The car in front had flipped onto its side before he hit it. When the truck hit, it tore the entire back of the frame off about even with the bell housing. The engine too was torn clean off the car and thrown many yards away. The hard hit caused the driver a severe concussion and rendered him temporarily incapable of controlling his limbs. He was entirely unable to shut off the ignition and fuel pump switches. Thus the fuel pump kept spraying fuel out of the torn off fuel line and ignited that spray. Bystanders got Steven out of the car before he was burned, but the car was toasted up to right behind the beam. The car that was laying on its side was apparently not burned nor was the truck that had its front suspension torn off. Steven's doctor wife has benched him for at least a year due to the concussion on top of previous similar concussions.

So I'm thinking it would be wise to install an impact switch that would shut off the fuel pump and other stuff in a severe impact. Many late model vehicles include such a switch.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions about this? I'm buying a buggy with an electric fuel pump and I would like to know which switch to get for this and our team mate's new buggy. Not to mention spreading the word including to Tech Inspectors and rule writers.

Dusty i think this is what you are talking about..it is from a Ford ranger. I think it might be a good idea to test but should be in easy reach of the driver to reset. I have gotten some fords towed in that just needed that reset. Not sure how well it would hold up in an off road baja bug application...I have always thought of an oil pressure switch to cut off fuel. But never really looked into it.
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

I did install one of these on my build but did not want to mention it because I am not racing and I am not sure if they would prematurely activate in a race application. I bought mine through summit racing but you can buy from other places including amazon. They are about $60, inexpensive for the level of safety. They are referred to as an “inertia cutoff switch”. They activate around 10g. I am only driving on the street so this was an essential switch for my safety. Very easy install. They are also resettable so if you do install on an off-road race vehicle, maybe put them were you can easily reset the switch should it trip after hitting a large bump. Mine is behind my fuse block, since it is wired through the relay trigger wire.
Hope this helps
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

in line with the Fuel pump relay?

I have a couple of Rangers out back. 1 is to be turned into a race truck. The other to be parted out. So maybe I have the part right in my back yard?
SoCalBajas Member
joemicari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

You install this on the low voltage side of the relay. Just like your dash switch.
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: My baja build Reply with quote

Passenger footwell area if you have a few rangers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: