Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

I have a late 72 Conv Ghia and I want to raise the suspension. What's the best way to do that and do I need to lower the front suspension to give the car that "stacked" look? This is how the car looks now but I want it just the opposite. Thanks Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by [email protected] on Sat May 26, 2018 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

Take the engine out, that'll raise the rear right on up.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

That will work!^^^ Smile
There is this.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433753
Probably just need to re-index the torsion a click.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

An outer click will be too much, unless you want to be like that goofy bastard that tried going for the rally look.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

I just finished reindexing the rear of my 70. IRS just like yours. You don’t say how much you want to raise it. You may have to grind off the trailing arm stops, get longer shocks etc.

I drew out a pattern and at a 16” pivot point 4.5 degrees results in about an inch change. Stock height is about 21 degrees on an unloaded spring plate. Don’t worry about how many clicks inner or outer as in my case each had to be adjusted. Just get a magnetic angle finder and extrapolate.

In my case I just wanted the rear a tad lower so I went with 18 degrees which should give me about a 3/4 inch drop.
My drivers side was resting at 20 degrees and my passenger side was resting at 21. Once everything is apart it’s very easy to adjust. I ended up with a solid 17.5 degrees on both arms.

It’s harder to get the trailing arms out of the way than anything.
And as a bonus you can check the full travel of your wheel and tire combo to check for rubbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much I want to raise it but I want it raised enough so the back is slightly higher than the from so I'm looking down at my hood and not over my dashboard. I'm 6ft tall so Im not small but I like to feel like Im sitting up in my car not down inside of it. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for all the feedback (and jokes) it's def a help. My dad is the experience car guy so Im running all this past him and he and I will be able to make it work Im sure.
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I'm not sure how much I want to raise it but I want it raised enough so the back is slightly higher than the from so I'm looking down at my hood and not over my dashboard. I'm 6ft tall so Im not small but I like to feel like Im sitting up in my car not down inside of it. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for all the feedback (and jokes) it's def a help. My dad is the experience car guy so Im running all this past him and he and I will be able to make it work Im sure.

Sounds to me that you want the front end lowered and probably not the back.

Post a few picks of your car. You probably need drop spindles and a lowered front beam.
Stock Ghia's sit high in the front and by your description this is probably how the car is set up at the moment.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

Here is a Pic of the car. As you can see the front is higher than the rear, I want just the opposite.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Here is a Pic of the car. As you can see the front is higher than the rear, I want just the opposite.

How much gas is in the tank, and is the jack and the spare tire also in the trunk ? An empty tank will raise the front end.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

The rear ride height looks just about optimal. I would not raise it more than an inch, accomplished by a combination of rotating the torsion bar's inner end as well as repositioning the outer end of the bar where it meets the trailing arm. As for the front, it would probably not need to be lowered more than an inch. This would give either a completely level body, or "slightly" raked to the front. Best way would be an adjustable front axle beam. Lowered spindles go down too far, usually 2.5", and you have to drill them for the disc brake backing plates. Then again, you can test the appearance of a lowered front by placing some weightlifting single-arm weights ("dumbbells") inside the front bumper to get the look you want.

Do you have the front tire pressures set to the factory values, of approx. 18psi?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

Judging by where your Ghia's rear fender arch sits halfway up the rubber of the rear tyre, I think the rear is good where it is. The front could easily be lowered by means of an adjustable beam, as Rome suggests. (And I agree with him on the dropped spindles issue. Not necessary to achieve a slight rake down towaards the front.)

And you won't have tyre rubbing issues either.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

While the rear of the car is slightly lower, probably due to sag in the rear torsion bars, it's not too far off from being level. Most of the perceived height difference is due to the fact the front wheel wells are higher to clear the front wheels when turning left/right, this is common in all automotive design. If you place a straight edge across the image, along the upper chrome side molding, you will see that the line is within 1/2"-1" of being in the same place on the front & rear hubcaps.

doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

There are a couple of youtube videos on raising/lowering the rear.

I have a 1974 vert and it looks a little lower in the rear like yours. I am not aware that it was purposely lowered. I could simply be age-related sag.

You can always skip the suspension issues and just put slightly larger diameter tires on the rear and slightly smaller diam. on the front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

doregan wrote:

You can always skip the suspension issues and just put slightly larger diameter tires on the rear and slightly smaller diam. on the front.

While this will work to level the car, it would aesthetically exaggerate the difference in wheel gap making it look more lopsided.

doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

I think if you are judicious in the sizes (diameters) and types of tires you use, you can use a slightly larger diameter tire on the rear and slightly smaller diameter on the front and it will look fine. Problem is that there is not much to choose from if you are trying to maintain the same aspect ratio and still fit on a 4.5j-15 rim.

I have 205/60R15 tires on mine (below) on Pedrini rims. The wide tires makes the steering pretty heavy. I had a '67 Ghia some 40+ years ago and it handled well. I might just get rid of the tires (and possibly the Pedrinis) and go with stock wheels and 165R15 Nexen radials. Maybe slightly oversized in the rear to level the car or get a slight rake.

In the long run, adjusting the rear torsion bars could be your easiest solution. Probably cheaper too.

MontyOnWheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

Does anyone know the stock rear ride height? The measurement from pavement to the top of the wheel house arc?? (obviously stock tire size)
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have a late 72 Conv Ghia and I want to raise the suspension. What's the best way to do that and do I need to lower the front suspension to give the car that "stacked" look? This is how the car looks now but I want it just the opposite. Thanks Very Happy

With that car inclined on the ramp and the parking brake set it will squat in the rear a little bit. Is there a pic on flat ground?
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising My Ghia's Rear Suspension Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

With that car inclined on the ramp and the parking brake set it will squat in the rear a little bit. Is there a pic on flat ground?

I don't know what's been done since the last posting, but this is a side view of our 1971. The rear looks lower than your, but the bottom is dead even with the street.

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: