Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange shifting issue
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

So this one seems odd to me, only because it isn't one of the problems I generally hear about connected to vw's. I was on a trip and all was going well. Leaving a stop light, 1st gear wasn't 1st. It felt like 3rd. I freaked a little bit, fearing my clutch was out. I pulled it into 2nd and went back to 1st, same problem. I gassed it some and went on through the light and pulled over in a parking lot. I went to 3rd to make sure I wasn't somehow shifting incorrectly. Went back to 1st and it was still 3rd. I went to 2nd and back to first again and all was suddenly right. It happened a couple more times during the trip, which was a few hours total.
My best guess is that there is some slop in the shift rod coupler, allowing the shift lever to sometimes move to 3rd gear when I go to 1st. Has anyone had this experience? The coupler looks ok, not outstanding, but not overly worn or damaged. Still, I feel like this is the best chance. Thanks for your help
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

so how do plan to fix it?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

A coupler can look ok but not be. Did you watch it while a partner shifted through the gears? Also, check the forward shift rod bushing. What year?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

Shifter Parts ID T2
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

It's a 69. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it, because the cause of the problem is not identified. That's why I want to see what experiences others have had. I don't have anyone to shift while I watch.
I have never heard of the shift rod bushing causing an issue like this. Maybe harder shifting, but not missing 1st gear. Then again, I have never heard of a worn coupler causing this, either. Has anybody else had a similar situation? Specifically, moving the shifter to the 1st gear position and having it pull the trans into 3rd? Thanks
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

you can either replace all the parts, or you can have someone help you while you look over each part for freeplay. It can be one broken part or many worn parts. That failure has many different flavors, you have to check for each one starting with the easiest first:

bad bushing up front
Pin fell out
shift stop plate in pieces
loose grub screw(s)
bad coupler bushing
coupler spinning
worn out ball in nosecone
broken selector bracket inside transmission nosecone
gears have moved out of place due to main bearing wear
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

What year car is this? I'm assuming it's a bus, because…

In 1976 VW introduced a spring-loaded neutral system that lines the shifter up for first and second without any lateral input from the driver. Unfortunately, on these transaxles, ANY slop in the coupler, bushings, or shifter itself will be taken up by the springs and your shifting input will not be translated back to the transaxle. If you have a later bus, every part MUST be accounted for, intact, and adjusted correctly for precise shifting.

Earlier buses can get occasional clean shifts even with missing bushings. But seeing as they don't make these transaxles any more, occasional doesn't really cut it. Cool

You WILL need a helper to diagnose this issue. They don't have to know how to drive a VW. They don't even need a license; if they can correctly follow simple instructions, you'll be good. It goes something like this:

You crawl under the bus and watch every part of the shift mechanism, from front to back, while you instruct the assistant to move the shifter GENTLY
"forward" "back" "right" "left" or "neutral." With your best seeing-eye glasses if necessary, look at every part of the shift rod system for signs of movement discrepancy.

Here is discrepancy between the input and output of a shift coupler:

Link

Here is a worn out bushing on a '71 bus:

Link

A later bus will have a front shift rod that looks slightly different, but the absence of a bushing is more likely due to the design and age of these vehicles.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

ozzmonaut wrote:
Then again, I have never heard of a worn coupler causing this, either.Thanks

Welcome to an unworn coupler causing this. Some couplers develop a slight movement between the square cage and the collar that has the grub screw. Better ones weld the two together. Cheaper ones rely on a lousy swege fit.

You can check this by yourself, but it is not as fun. Get a pair of vise grips. Shift into 2nd or 4th. Rotate the square cage left/right/left slightly past the point that it does not want to go. Check carefully Shocked for movement between the collar-with-the-grub-screw and the square cage. Now, put gearshift in neutral.

IN AN EMERGENCY:
If you put your feet towards the front of the car while you are underneath, you can get 1st gear by rotating the collar (forget using the square cage here) CLOCKWISE then PULL towards rear of car. Now go to stop plate under floor mat, and loosen the 13mm bolts just a couple of turns. Tap gearshifter to the left until you see just a millimeter of movement of the stop plate under the shift housing towards the right side of the car. Tighten. Try a shift into 1st. Now shift into 2nd. Test for forward movement with engine running. If you didn't get reverse, you are good to get home. Fix it.
ColinBeenThere
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

Start simpler... jave you just checked that your shift plate on the floor isnt loose or has moved on you?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

I did check the shift plate. It was good. But then I was underneath just looking at the situation and decided to just use the coupler to push/pull the shift lever in and out. I noticed that as I twisted the coupler to mimic going from 1st/2nd positions to 3rd/4th that the coupler could move on the shift lever. So, indeed it appears the grub screw was a hair loose. I tightened it, but we have a pile of cars in the driveway, so I can't get out to take a drive. But I will tonight. It tightened down substantially, but did not come to a hard stop, so I fear the threads might be slightly stripped, and did not want to over-do it. At least then I would know what is occurring and can replace the coupler.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

The screw is pointed on the tip and goes into a hole with a dish at the bottom so it just sort of gets tighter.
Then get out the champagne cork or prosecco iin EU (or local dry sparkling wine) take the wire off it and use it to lock the screw.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

Heavy duty shift coupler
https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-5105.html
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

The grub screw land in the shift rod MUST be clean for the grub screw to take torque and hold. Ask TheBusAndUs about fixing theirs at the beach in our wetsuits…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange shifting issue Reply with quote

The hole was stripped. Not sure how. Grabbed another coupler from a friend the other day. All is well. Wire was gone so a bicycle spoke is in place and shifting is good and tight again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: