Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Endplay when warm
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

Just testing my engine I rebuilt. Set to .004 endplay.

Just running for short periods with no fan using a fluke temp gun on outside surfaces. 300f at sparkplug surround on the head and about 150 at oil cooler. So.... warm.... I certainly can't feel the eND play much.... when turNed off the compression stroke as to "feel" the endplay.... I certainly don't feel as much of that .004 as when cold....

This is obviously subjective as it will expand...... however it begs the question... how much is endplay when warm or " operating temp".... how much is taken up?

I want to know as this is the 2nd time tearing into this and I am paying careful attention... learning..... and learning alot....

If you are someone who may be able to answer this question in a semi quantifiable manner who has experience please participate... If your a parrot that doesn't know.... dont bother please....

Thanks

Kris
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

At temp, about .001 less
overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:

If your a parrot that doesn't know.... dont bother please....

LOL
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

not a real good idea to do that to the heads. but there not mine so..... the aluminum/ mag case and the aluminum bearings expand at diferent rates then the steel/cast crankshaft. also not all parts get hot at the same rate, some come up to temp faster than others.some clearances will open up then come back down some will close up them open. if the case expands before the crank....there go's some your clearance. when crank warms it comes back up some. thus the reason why some people set to tight and grab the bearing. or dont run the fan and the case gets hot and the crank dosent and grabs the bearing...
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

modok wrote:
At temp, about .001 less

Thanks modok, was hoping you would chime in
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
not a real good idea to do that to the heads. but there not mine so..... the aluminum/ mag case and the aluminum bearings expand at diferent rates then the steel/cast crankshaft. also not all parts get hot at the same rate, some come up to temp faster than others.some clearances will open up then come back down some will close up them open. if the case expands before the crank....there go's some your clearance. when crank warms it comes back up some. thus the reason why some people set to tight and grab the bearing. or dont run the fan and the case gets hot and the crank dosent and grabs the bearing...

Ohhhh ok, I have never read about that, but makes sense, lesson learned I will get my tin and fan on there.

So if the crank is expanding at a slower rate than case and this could well account for some tightness on the end play due to no fan?

You mention it grabbing the bearing when set to tight, you referring to end play and running with no fan correct?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

The case has nothing to do with crankshaft endplay except to hold onto the #1 bearing.

It's just the crankshaft snout passing through the bearing and the shims to meet the flywheel.

Now if the bearing itself warms up and expands enough to take up the available end-play you get friction ... and trouble.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

The hotter the engine gets, the tighter the end play is. Too hot gets expensive when the bearing grabs the crank, spins and wipes out the case.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
The case has nothing to do with crankshaft endplay except to hold onto the #1 bearing.

It's just the crankshaft snout passing through the bearing and the shims to meet the flywheel.

Now if the bearing itself warms up and expands enough to take up the available end-play you get friction ... and trouble.

Max
so if the case expands...and the crank dosent....what is the bearing going to do shrink? dosent your case transfer heat to and from the bearing? as john said. hot grabs bearings.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

I don't know about hotter meaning more end play. I can't even get my crank to move in or out when it's hot? But Cold, in Neutral, At a TDC or BDC it moves in and out a little. Maybe it's just when it is warm it doesn't move? Not sure?
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:
If your a parrot that doesn't know.... dont bother please....

Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
so if the case expands...and the crank dosent....what is the bearing going to do shrink? dosent your case transfer heat to and from the bearing? as john said. hot grabs bearings.

The bearing is what ... some variety of babbitt?. The coefficient of expansion is pretty close to Mag on this chart. And a fair bit more that steel. So I think the bearing and case material expand at similar rates so they don't bug each other much at all. Probably by design.

http://www.repairengineering.com/coefficient-of-thermal-expansion.html

Crankshaft endplay is determined by the length of the bearing, the length of the crank snout ... and the three shims for fine-tuning the end-play. I think for a given temp increase the bearing grows a little more (in length) than the crank snout does and endplay is decreased.

If end-play was set a bit on the tight side and that bearing runs a little on the hot side ... the crank grabs the bearing and you get trouble with a capital T.

So yeah, I agree with John. Enough heat kills. Also Modoc, endplay reduces as temp increases. I just don't think the case plays a role in how end-play changes.

That's all I'm saying.

PS: It is theoretically possible to set crankshaft endplay using only the crank, the #1 bearing and the flywheel sitting on the bench and not in the case at all. But I've never been able to get consistent enough measurements that way. Maybe I'm just a klutz.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay when warm Reply with quote

The bearings are a aluminum/tin alloy.
expansion with heat approx 2-2.5x more than steel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: