Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sometimes in pays not to mess with original parts
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Sometimes in pays not to mess with original parts Reply with quote

I came up with the idea to swap out my stock 1964 decklid hinges with some after market chrome ones. I received the hinges and they looked identical other than the shine. Well after taking the lid off and on 3 times and working myself into a major sweat, the new ones just would not align the lid properly. Ended up putting the old stock one back on. The fit of a good majority of after market stud is just not there.
Learned my lesson....sometimes just leave stuff alone Laughing Laughing
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sometimes in pays not to mess with original parts Reply with quote

Agree. That is a lesson I have learned as well with the chrome engine tin. The fit was just not there.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sometimes in pays not to mess with original parts Reply with quote

Every now and then I'll find chromed OEM parts at swap meets- leftovers from earlier days when folks had chroming done and later changed their mind. I've got bumper brackets, decklid hinge mounts, pedals, etc- all waiting for the right recipient 70s look tribute beetle. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
htolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sometimes in pays not to mess with original parts Reply with quote

I had the exact same experience as the original poster with hinges on my '63 Beetle with the hinge brackets; the left one being bent by a previous owner. The reproduction chrome ones were a poor fit, and I finally had success when I bought used OG ones on this site. It shouldn't be difficult to make repo products that fit, but my experience show otherwise...
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sometimes in pays not to mess with original parts Reply with quote

X2 on this!! I bought some aftermarket chrome hood hinges. Ended up sagging and tore up my hood hitting the bumper. Put the stockers back on and no problem (other than some paint work now) Twisted Evil

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: