Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member and not quite owner of a 66.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsmithsole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Hey all,
New member here!
Just wanted to introduce myself. I have a 66 bug that is actually a family car. My sister bought it in high school about 20 years ago. She drove it for awhile and then my parents took it over and had it redone from the ground up. I've just recently started driving it as it tends to sit after my father passed last year. And it's a bit much for my mom to take care of.

I haven't had a chance to really dig in but am ready to learn and hopefully take over ownership sometime in the future.

I have been on car forums over the past 15 years or so (moderating and admin) and find them to be a huge resource, so hopefully at some point I can contribute back once I get to learning more about this car!

Here's a few pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Oh man she's a beauty!

Have fun. I'm resurrecting a 66 that's been in my folks' garage for over 20 years.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Very cool story, awesome that the car has family history, & will be used again. Car looks super solid too.

I am a 66’ fan as well, best of luck with the car. You’ll find so much great info on the samba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsmithsole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:
Oh man she's a beauty!

Have fun. I'm resurrecting a 66 that's been in my folks' garage for over 20 years.

Thanks!
I wish I had a garage to keep her in but I am in So Cal so not too bad weather wise!
jsmithsole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:
Very cool story, awesome that the car has family history, & will be used again. Car looks super solid too.

I am a 66’ fan as well, best of luck with the car. You’ll find so much great info on the samba.

Thanks and I'd love to trace it further back. I honestly don't know much about the car. I need to ask my mom again but she mentioned something about it having been a European car and brought over to the US. Not imported but for sale but brought over after. Again all second hand info I need to dig into...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Welcome!,

Sweet looking little car!

have fun, Bug On!

see link below on engine fires and safety wires, dont burn!

Yellow 181 Orange Bug Green Bug Purple Bug Blue Bug

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Nice! Beautiful Bug and I like the personalized license plate! Pretty creative.

Take time to post and read posts on The Samba......you can learn alot and also help others.

What a great way to start your Dub life!! VW Logo

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Nice looking car. There are a few differences between a Euro `66 and a US spec `66. For example, 1966 Euros did not come with emergency flashers and did not have a key slot in the passenger side exterior door handle.
Glee7007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Nice looking ride! I started with a '66 about ten years ago and knew next to nothing when my wife and I bought the car. I've learned quite a bit since then, lots from this forum and by tinkering. Have no regrets, and love my '66.

Is it still on 6 volts? Is the engine original?
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
Nice looking car. There are a few differences between a Euro `66 and a US spec `66. For example, 1966 Euros did not come with emergency flashers and did not have a key slot in the passenger side exterior door handle.

Not meaning to highjack the thread, but: my 66 project car is virtually all original, including the square button door handles. According to the birth certificate, it was built in January 1966 and delivered to Vancouver, BC Canada. It has a keyed exterior door handle on the driver's side only ....no keyed button on the passenger side. According to the 66 owner's manual, only the convertible model had keyed door handles on both sides. Am I missing something here??
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Quote:
According to the 66 owner's manual, only the convertible model had keyed door handles on both sides. Am I missing something here??

I'm not at all familiar with Canadian spec Beetles but I assume the `66 Canadian Beetle is similar to the Euro spec Beetle. The Owners manual that you have would not be specific to a US spec Beetle. This web site has two different owners manuals listed for the 1966 1300 Beetle (in English). One for the Euro Beetle https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/66bug.php and one for the US Beetle https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/aug65bug.php

The door locks are described on page 4 of both manuals and shows the differences between the two.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
Quote:
According to the 66 owner's manual, only the convertible model had keyed door handles on both sides. Am I missing something here??

I'm not at all familiar with Canadian spec Beetles but I assume the `66 Canadian Beetle is similar to the Euro spec Beetle. The Owners manual that you have would not be specific to a US spec Beetle. This web site has two different owners manuals listed for the 1966 1300 Beetle (in English). One for the Euro Beetle https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/66bug.php and one for the US Beetle https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/aug65bug.php

The door locks are described on page 4 of both manuals and shows the differences between the two.

Pretty sure that Canadian Beetles were much closer to US spec beetles than they were to Euro spec models (bumper towel bars, etc.). The Euro spec manual shows both dash and steering column ignition switch locations ..how did they decide who got what? There were some "Canada only" specs, such as the auxiliary (gas) heaters that were 'supposed to have been' installed in Cdn spec models from 1965 onward, but evidence of that is spotty and inconclusive. Not sure where one could find the 'definitive' answer on these matters ...
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Quote:
The Euro spec manual shows both dash and steering column ignition switch locations ..how did they decide who got what?

Not sure I know the answer to that. My `66 Euro does have the steering column ignition switch. From what I understand, many but not all `66 Euros had a locking steering column ignition switch. I heard somewhere that Europe in the 1960's was experiencing a large amount of car theft.
Does your car have a steering column ignition switch? Emergency flashers?
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

My 66 Bahama blue (deluxe) has the dash ignition, and emergency flashers. Four other Cdn '66's that I am very familiar with from back in the day were also equipped that way. I have never seen a Cdn 66 with a column ignition switch In the 'Extras / options' section of the birth certificate, it says: M044 White wall tyres under customs seal; M356 Equipment for Canada (cannot be identified); and M051 cannot be identified. No one has been able to identify what the M356 and M051 mean ....
jsmithsole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: New member and not quite owner of a 66. Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
h~moto wrote:

Not meaning to highjack the thread

Too late Shocked but I know this happens all the time so all good!

And thanks all for the warm welcome and looking forward to learning much more about this car!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: