Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey....
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexManly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

I have a 1965 Westy that I want to get painted. I have been working on it for years, it was painted in New Mexico before moving here but it is a really poor job and is flaking off the driver door (never sanded or primed). The vehicle is stripped and just a rolling shell, so bring it in for an estimate requires renting a trailer. The body work is all done (except the front windshield sills need smoothing).

I would like it painted inside and out, I have the paint codes. I am then looking to have it reassembled (not camper interior just basics). I have all new seals, handles, wiring harness and all glass and lights. Just so I can save and plan I am trying to get guesstimate of what I am looking at.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance with this.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

Tow dolly is cheaper to rent, $25? & lighter to tow. I finally bought a used tow dolly I was renting them so often!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Tow dolly is cheaper to rent, $25? & lighter to tow. I finally bought a used tow dolly I was renting them so often!
Vehicle needs to be registered to get towed with one though, right?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

In some states any wheels rolling on the ground require registration and insurance. So those states you would need a trailer to get it off the pavement. Some states are more lenient. Check before you get a tow dolly without having any plates or insurance on that vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

NO, just that the tow dolly lights work.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlexManly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

The problem is being stripped, no interior or engine it is too light on a tow dolly...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

Why would anything be too light for a tow dolly? It's strapped down with 2 big ratchet straps & 2 safety chains to the beam & 2 more safety chains to the trailer hitch! It would be Better/Cheaper Bus if you reassemble it yourself! Idea

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The seller/trucker designed wedging this cut Baja ragtop into the nose of our Dakota, but we made it home fine at 55 mph. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

Duuuude!!!!
😳
Hahaha... oh my gosh you are crazy.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

depending on quality of materials 15 to 20 grand
AlexManly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

Great, thank you!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

Go to a paint supply place and ask them for a painter. $500 for a ghia is going rate for a good painter around here, Ca. That’s the labor to spray. Booth and supplies extra. Bus would be double size roughly.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

Your real challenge is to find a shop here in NJ that will actually do the job. Most collision shops are just that and have no interest in doing custom or restoration work. You need to start visiting shops with pictures of your project and see who is interested. The second part of your quest in having them do some reassembly might eliminate most shops. If you do find a shop you need to make sure that they don't take the job as a "time filler", you project will be in "body shop jail" and be there forever.

Your best bet is to find a good shop to do the body work and paint (it won't be cheap) and you do all of the reassembly. You took it apart didn't you?

Olli
AlexManly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Park Guess of Cost in New Jersey.... Reply with quote

thank you....I will post pics once the project gets moving again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: