Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

I had a 1776 put together, and ever since day 1, it seemed to be leaking oil from everywhere, appeared to be from the cylinders, and even seems to be leaking / seeping from the pump cover. Went through issues with the main seal, replaced it, and had to re-ring the engine, and did about 1000-2000 miles after it was first built.

This time, a buddy re-ringed the engine for me and put the long block back together. Both builders know what they are doing, definitely enough where I don't think that BOTH of them could forget to torque the heads properly.

I'm wondering if this could really be an issue of needing the heads re-torqued, or something else? And what could cause this?

It's a mild 1776 with an Engle 100 cam and DRD L3 heads. It has a 30mm Gene Berg Oil pump with relief cover. The 30mm pump was recommended by them as this is in a bus, and I have about 7 feet or so of oil line each way between my engine, oil filter with thermostatic sandwich plate adapter, and oil cooler which is mounted mid bus under the cargo floor. Could too much pump cause this issue? Is this even too much pump? Oil pressure seems good...

At this point, I have so much money in this engine, it is frustrating that I don't even feel I could take it on a 500 mile trip to Oregon from the Bay Area, and that it leaks more oil than my ~10 year old 1641. And I was going to be taking the bus to Oregon next weekend... Sad

It drives well, just leaks / seeps a bunch... Video of around the push rod tubes showing oil basically coating the engine: (the first builder painted the case without me knowing he was going to, now it's all peeling off, nice...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0lq9b3mubzw7fu/2018-05-24%2018.59.16.mp4?dl=0
'69 Bug
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Where is it leaking from exactly? I cannot access your link,

Is that the only problem-the oil leaks. If so pull out the engine and reseal it properly.

Did you bring it to the attention of the engine builder(s)-maybe they will fix it.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Where is it leaking from exactly? I cannot access your link,

Is that the only problem-the oil leaks. If so pull out the engine and reseal it properly.

Did you bring it to the attention of the engine builder(s)-maybe they will fix it.

Weird, it's just a shared Dropbox link, works for me in a different browser... hmmm..

But literally the whole bottom of the engine has a light covering in oil, so it is hard to see where the source of the leak is, even after cleaning, driving, and re-inspecting. But the heads and jugs have been off and put back on after re-ringing, and still didn't help...

I did bring it to the attention of the first builder, Buggy House in Hayward, who told me they will not provide any warranty service since they only built the long block instead of turnkey engine... Personally, I didn't like that response, but ok....
'69 Bug
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

An Oil cooler can do all of that, just goes all over the place. Had that happen to me.

Not fun if the heater boxes have some in them.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
An Oil cooler can do all of that, just goes all over the place. Had that happen to me.

Not fun if the heater boxes have some in them.

Unfortunately, that's about the one thing I know isn't leaking... Laughing

Top of the engine is dry, where it normally has oil leaking when it is the cooler... Been there before... Laughing
'69 Bug
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Ask the builder if they stretched the PR tube accordion ends before torquing the heads.
That might cause a leak like seen in the video.

I can see that the builder used RTV on the cylinder bases. So there shouldn't be leaks from there.

But as mentioned above the improper coil cooler seals can spray oil everywhere.

If your set on getting to the PNW Bug Run. Maybe slip the 1641 back in and slow cruise to PDX.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

tell them to fix it...or better yet, find somebody that can fix it. if it's leaking from everywhere...somethens rong.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Hello,
Clean the engine again top to bottom(you may want to remove your bottom tins under the push rod tubes). Let it dry as you are putting it up on jack stands(4) try to make it level. Then start it up, get under there on a creeper with a bright flashlight and wait for the drips to start. Shut it down, then trace down where the drip is coming from.... Look up... That's why you take the tins off...
You don't need to drive it, that will just spread the oil all around..
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Do you have a road draft tube for a crankcase breather system?
I have seen stock engines covered on the bottom with just a breather hose hanging down below the engine. The oil can be carried forward and cover everything.

Your video needs to show more of the engines bottom side.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Why do you keep re ringing it?
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Ask the builder if they stretched the PR tube accordion ends before torquing the heads.
That might cause a leak like seen in the video.

I could ask the first builder, but when it was re-ringed, we used new pushrod tubes, and they were stretched prior to installation. (not to say they aren't leaking too)

Quote:
I can see that the builder used RTV on the cylinder bases. So there shouldn't be leaks from there.

You'd think so huh, but even though both builders used RTV at the cylinder bases, it leaked from there both times, was the first leak I saw...

Quote:
But as mentioned above the improper coil cooler seals can spray oil everywhere.

I'll check oil cooler seals more closely, but there isn't any oil up top where oil is when the cooler seals leak. But doesn't hurt to pull the fan shroud when the engine is out.

Quote:
If your set on getting to the PNW Bug Run. Maybe slip the 1641 back in and slow cruise to PDX.

Good Luck.

That actually is just a coincidence. Just visiting a buddy, wife and kid and in Springfield for a few days, he mentioned the event to me. Laughing I'd rather just drive my bug up than swap engines (which is actually on the table)

Thanks!

mark tucker wrote:
tell them to fix it...or better yet, find somebody that can fix it. if it's leaking from everywhere...somethens rong.

I talked with them a few times about this, and they flat refused. I'd have to resort to Small Claims, and don't want to deal with that, lesson learned, don't go to Buggy House...

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
Clean the engine again top to bottom(you may want to remove your bottom tins under the push rod tubes). Let it dry as you are putting it up on jack stands(4) try to make it level. Then start it up, get under there on a creeper with a bright flashlight and wait for the drips to start. Shut it down, then trace down where the drip is coming from.... Look up... That's why you take the tins off...
You don't need to drive it, that will just spread the oil all around..

I'll do that too, good idea pulling off the tins, that'll help. My bus is stock height with all terrains, I don't need to jack it up for much, I love that I still can get under her without a jack Laughing
'69 Bug
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Do you have a road draft tube for a crankcase breather system?
I have seen stock engines covered on the bottom with just a breather hose hanging down below the engine. The oil can be carried forward and cover everything.

Your video needs to show more of the engines bottom side.

I've had a few different breather setups, none of which have worked yet. First, I had the stock VW oil filler without the road draft tube, but I had a Bug Pack breather box. Then I changed to stock VW filled with Road Draft tube and kept the Bug Pack breather box. Then I vented the valve covers to the breather box. Then I changed out the VW filler for a Gene Berg oil filler / breather and removed the Bug Pack breather box, so the VC's were vented to the Berg breather. Still the issues, so just this week, put the Bug Pack breather box back in as well. For all of them, it's also been routed back to the air cleaner.

jason wrote:
Why do you keep re ringing it?

It was only re-rung the one time, and that was because it seemed the rings weren't properly broken in the first time.

I've been chasing issue after issue, trying all sorts of fixes, one at a time, and still issues...
'69 Bug
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

So does it only leak oil if your drive it at higher RPM's? How bad is the leak does it make things oily but no oil is dripping from the engine? Is it all on one side? The Video Again. The video shows the 1, 2 side which is the side the 6 big case studs come through perhaps the engine builder forgot the Orings that go on the studs. A crack in a cylinder wall will do that too or a poor surface or RTV silicone seal at the cylinder base. Has the engine pulled a stud?

Last edited by Danwvw on Fri May 25, 2018 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

One of the reasons to buy a long block instead of a short block is that you are assured (supposedly) that the cylinders and heads were installed correctly, and that the mating surfaces are true and flat.

This should eliminate oil leaks, whereas a short block leaves many of these issues up to you, and I could see the builder not owning the leaks as a short block.

But you paid for the long block work, and thus the shop should probably own the leaks. At least they should agree to look it over. Not a good sign that they are giving you the shutout. I'd post this in the Feedback forum.

None of which helps you now, though!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Using the correct sealant and prep is important where the oil pump seals to case, sump plate, and to keep the valve cover gaskets stuck to the valve cover. It is also necessary to use thread sealer on the 6 main stud nuts/washer, lower head nuts/washer and oil pump studs and nuts, (or bolts, if you use bolts), and rocker studs. Short list right? And some of those are supposed to be sealed with o-rings, but it turns out thread sealer is more dependable than o-rings Laughing

What about the other parts? those seal by being machined correctly. You can put sealer on there as a temporary measure and to prevent seeping but what seals half the joints in a VW engine is the metal surfaces coming together, the flat parts need to be flat. If the cylinders are not sitting flat on the case all the way round, it will leak, no sealer will save you.

it is also possible for the case to leak directly through the metal. Some cases, especially the as-21, do sometimes have porous areas, usually just enough to be annoying and keep the case from oxidizing.

some guys want to park on a concrete driveway and not see a drop on it, and....that's waaaay different than leaking a half quart in 3000 miles.
How much oil is it leaking?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
One of the reasons to buy a long block instead of a short block is that you are assured (supposedly) that the cylinders and heads were installed correctly, and that the mating surfaces are true and flat.

Unfortunately there is no way to know ahead of time if the guy you paid was any good at this unless you yourself have the skills to have done it yourself.

Of course that is also true of doctors and lawyers.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

It's true of just about everybody Shocked

And even worse if they are NOT fully aware of what they are going IN to fix, they may not fix the problem. Not saying that's the case, but it sure does happen.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
So does it only leak oil if your drive it at higher RPM's? How bad is the leak does it make thing oily but no oil is dripping from the engine? Is it all on one side? The Video Again. The video shows the 1, 2 side which is the side the 6 big case studs come through perhaps the engine builder forgot the Orings that go on the studs. A crack in a cylinder wall will do that too or a poor surface or RTV silicone seal at the cylinder base. Has the engine pulled a stud?

Not sure about the RPM's it leaks at. It does leak from both sides, and is leaking enough to drip a bunch. I doubt it is the cylinder wall being cracked as they are new Mahle pistons/cylinders, and looked good when they were removed for the re-ring. I don't know about the O-rings on the studs, or if a stud was pulled, but when I brought the machined case to the builder it had all the studs in it still and none came out during the re-ring.

KTPhil wrote:

This should eliminate oil leaks, whereas a short block leaves many of these issues up to you, and I could see the builder not owning the leaks as a short block.

But you paid for the long block work, and thus the shop should probably own the leaks. At least they should agree to look it over. Not a good sign that they are giving you the shutout. I'd post this in the Feedback forum.

None of which helps you now, though!

Yeah, especially thought I was ok when I asked about warranty and he said if there are any issues he would take care of it. Wish I had that in writing...

modok wrote:
Using the correct sealant and prep is important where the oil pump seals to case, sump plate, and to keep the valve cover gaskets stuck to the valve cover. It is also necessary to use thread sealer on the 6 main stud nuts/washer, lower head nuts/washer and oil pump studs and nuts, (or bolts, if you use bolts), and rocker studs. Short list right? And some of those are supposed to be sealed with o-rings, but it turns out thread sealer is more dependable than o-rings Laughing

What about the other parts? those seal by being machined correctly. You can put sealer on there as a temporary measure and to prevent seeping but what seals half the joints in a VW engine is the metal surfaces coming together, the flat parts need to be flat. If the cylinders are not sitting flat on the case all the way round, it will leak, no sealer will save you.

it is also possible for the case to leak directly through the metal. Some cases, especially the as-21, do sometimes have porous areas, usually just enough to be annoying and keep the case from oxidizing.

some guys want to park on a concrete driveway and not see a drop on it, and....that's waaaay different than leaking a half quart in 3000 miles.
How much oil is it leaking?

I can't say for sure about the machining, but it was done by a reputable machinist, so I can only assume it was good. The heads were machined for 90.5's and CC'd by DRD before shipping to me, as part of the purchase. It's leaking a decent amount, not just "marking it's spot", as I always say VW's are supposed to do Laughing If I had to guess, I think it was around a quart between oil changes, maybe more. I wanted to be able to park on a concrete driveway and not see a drop, but I'd settle for not going to kill itself on a long highway trip! Laughing

Max Welton wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Unfortunately there is no way to know ahead of time if the guy you paid was any good at this unless you yourself have the skills to have done it yourself.

Of course that is also true of doctors and lawyers.

Max

modok wrote:
It's true of just about everybody Shocked

And even worse if they are NOT fully aware of what they are going IN to fix, they may not fix the problem. Not saying that's the case, but it sure does happen.

Isn't that the truth. That's why I wanted to have someone build the short block, and had heard good things about them and they'd been around for a long time. Now, without being the one to build it, I feel like I'm chasing the unknown, especially with questions about the studs, sealant, and o-rings. Engine and Transmission internals are about the only thing I don't feel comfortable doing myself and wanted to leave to the pro's, but it didn't really help in this instance. My buddy isn't a "pro", but has built numerous engines (VW, Porsche, Land Rover, and more) and knows what he is doing, but he only pulled the heads and jugs and re-rung it, had nothing to do with the initial built of it.

It seems as if my initial thoughts are the best course of action, suck it up and give the engine to a well known builder I know (who isn't cheap) and have him build me a motor with whatever he can salvage from mine, heads should be fine, and hopefully P&C's are fine too... Sucks to pay to have a motor be built twice, and one top end rebuild in between... This engine is cursed I tell you... Twisted Evil Laughing
'69 Bug
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Yeah!
I'm not saying to assume, but.... don't discount the possibility that the thing is, in fact, cursed.
Cursed as in there may be some flaw in the engine case that is something you'd never find unless you knew to look.
Such things do happen every now and then.

If you take a decent engine that you know the history of, and re-build it, that's usually no worries.

You get a basket case of parts....or a new case, good deal at the swap meet, you don't know what your in for.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from .. everywhere? Cause? Fix? Reply with quote

Take the engine out and clean everything well and then run it without tin briefly but before doing that spray white foot powder all over-you will see where the leak is coming from.

Maybe the case was not decked properly so it is leaking at the cylinder bases. I had a problem with one like that which was cut for 94mm but it gets thin by the head studs and if it is not decked it would leak.

Can you see the oil coming from up above the pushrods like the base of the cylinders?

You can spray brake clean all over and clean it and do the foot spray trick to try to locate the leak area with the engine installed, but it is much easier with the tin off.

Last edited by 74 Thing on Fri May 25, 2018 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: