Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlatherow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

I have a 02 EV with a bad head gasket (instantly pressurized coolant). Before I take the heads off, I did a compression test for the LOLs.

I had to shake water out of the tester a few times. So aside from confirming my motor is messed up, what have I learned?

-rj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

A leakdown test would help you pinpoint, but with #s like that, you're gonna get in there and find out anyway. My guess is that you've got a burned valve or a collapsed ring land. How does the oil look?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
rjlatherow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

Slightly creamy - like hersheys syrup. Not full on chocolate milk, but there is def some head gasket horror going on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

May your favorite deity shine goodness and light upon you. I think you're in for a rough patch ahead.

y u rune klassik?
rjlatherow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

Head gasket was a mess. Took head to machine shop, head came back okay, had it machined and valves done. Replaced timing chain guides, water pump, and tensioner on principal. Got it back together, and will try and start it for the first time this afternoon when the tensioner gets here. I'll burn some incense and leave out a can of sprite and a bowl of rice for luck. Smile

-rj
rjlatherow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

Update: She lives! The sprite worked!

The last part finally came in (tensioner, PO stripped the pulley nut.) I turn the key, and nothing.....for about 30 seconds of cranking (5 second intervals with pauses, I'm timid and imaging oil pumps priming and passages filling up). Then, poof, starts and purrs like a kitten. No rumble, quiet, no codes. I'm stunned.

My plan is to run it a few times for 5 minutes or so, then throw in some flush and drain the oil. It was so nasty in there, I just want to make sure it is all cleaned out. I usually don't do the flush, but in this case it sounds like a good idea-

Thank you all for your help! This is officially the most major thing I've ever done to a car, far more so than completely rebuilding the aircooled motors in my old bus.

Oh, and in case anyone wonders, timing the camshaft 180 out is fine . I didn't notice till later that while I was at ADC, my cam was 180 out. My steel plate I used to lock the cams fit inside the head unlike the VW tool, so even though the slots were horizontal they were wrong. Makes sense that it would be fine, I was just nervous.
-rj
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

Congrats on your accomplishment and the positive outcome.

y u rune klassik?
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

What are the compression test specs for the 24V VR6 per VW or the Bently?

I found this on the Web for the 12V:
Quote:
new: 147-191 psi
wear limit: 110 psi
maximum difference between cylinders: 44 psi

In another thread I saw the results of a compression test for a 24V reported as 225-230 psi.

EDIT: A thread on VWVortex states that 24V AXK compression test spec as 140-180 psi.

I ask because I'm having a PPI done on a 2001 EV MV with the 24V with almost 195k miles on it. I'm thinking a compression test would be wise. FWIW the timing chains, guides, seals were done at 173k miles.

Any other tests that can be performed to better understand engine health? A test for combustion gases in coolant? I understand a leakdown test could follow the compression test, if necessary.

Thanks!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

Compression ratio of 10.75 would make nominal cylinder compression 160 psi so that AXK number is on point
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to interpret compression test result on 24v VR6? Reply with quote

Thank you, sir!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: