Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Outlaw Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Engine Update: MonkeyNut VW did a test run with new Zenith NDIX carbs. A little adjustment was needed to get a smooth idle. It rev'd nicely with no hesitation. The rebuilt NDIX are an improvement over the WW Okrasa carbs. more precise. I choose to use jets and venturi from Porsche's "Normal" engine spec. This setup is based on Porsche's smallest engine displacement using the NDIX. So far it seems to be the right combination, on the test stand. We'll know for sure once it's back in Max and driving. All of the custom oil and fuel lines performed as they should, no leaks.

Engine is now torn down to a long block again. Some minor welding for the linkage was needed, along with a couple functional details that I will show when engine is done. After welding, misc tins and parts are off to powder coat for a fresh coat of black.

I did some modifications to the engine bay wiring to organize and clean up paths. Should have a "factory look" once completed.

Getting closer.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Orby1 wrote:
Hello Erik, I'm a rare guest to thesamba & hadn't seen this thread, so I've just enjoyed a whole hour or so reading the whole thing! Laughing It was great to see more detail in what you've done and why you've done it, on top of the snippets I see on Instagram. I love your attention to detail, and your openness in sharing what you've learned.
I too am going to stock spindles with 2" narrowed adjustable beam - hopefully in the next couple of weeks, however my brakes are definitely non-vintage CSP discs Embarassed .
Well done with this thread, and as I've said many times - well done with Max, it's a beauty. Applause Applause

Julian, glad you found the thread!

Your Beetle definitely influenced my build, it's very cool. I don't mind sharing what I've learned along the way, the more vintage speed beetles on the road, the better.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Update: Engine work has been completed! Engine tins modified, welded & fresh powder coat applied. I've assembled again to check that everything works together prior to install. All is good!

Thanks to the guys at MonkeyNut VW for their help as well as Franz at KCW for the fan shroud work. A lot of others helped as well, sourcing parts or creating custom parts. Always appreciated! This was a 2 year project....... thinking it through, getting parts, making custom parts & assembly. Very happy with finished result.

Here are a few shots showing various details. I added a volute ring to the fan shroud from Awesome Powdercoat: http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Porsche_356_Volute_Rings.html . Added an accelerator cable roller to front tin, this should help ease transition to linkage through cycle. Added some Porsche wire loops to manage spark plug wires (sort of an updated Pre A detail). Overall, I think it turned out great! It has a "factory look". A kind of, what if VW had an performance werks shop that used the Porsche parts bin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I plan to install this week, fingers crossed! I'm looking forward to using my new 4 post lift for the install, should make it an easier process.

E

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Tue May 12, 2020 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Damn that is engine is sweet.

On the rings, are they rubber circles that sort of float there?
It does make the wires look cleaner
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Thanks Everett! It's a metal loop, modified and welded to the cylinder tin. There is a rubber grommet the fits inside the loop. Part is off early 911 engine: https://www.partsklassik.com/p-1743-ignition-wire-holder-straight.aspx

I also have a third one placed in the center, attached to case nut. All of them together keep the wires organized and basically floating over the tins.

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Tue May 12, 2020 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Thanks Everett! It's a metal loop, modified and welded to the cylinder tin. There is a rubber grommet the fits inside the loop. Part is off early 911 engine: https://www.partsklassik.com/p-1743-ignition-wire-holder-straight.aspx

Cool, even better that they are fastened in place
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Very nice car with nice proportions Personally I feel that 185/70īs on a 4―" wheel is a little too spongy, Donīt you feel that it has a tendency to "wander" in the rubber on the straights? I absolutely loathe that exhaust. IMO it has no place on a beetle and hardly on a 356 either unless its a real race car... Reminds me the most of a 17 year old that want his no muscle car to be loud. But, opinions vary, and its not my car Very Happy
The Zenithīs on a Okrasa engine is a nice upgrade. Adds a little power and a good deal of idle stability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Very nice car with nice proportions Personally I feel that 185/70īs on a 4―" wheel is a little too spongy, Donīt you feel that it has a tendency to "wander" in the rubber on the straights? I absolutely loathe that exhaust. IMO it has no place on a beetle and hardly on a 356 either unless its a real race car... Reminds me the most of a 17 year old that want his no muscle car to be loud. But, opinions vary, and its not my car Very Happy

The tire choice was based on a size that might be available in late 50's to early 60's. I'm sure they are a little spongy, but so is the suspension. A low profile tire would help stiffen it up, but that's not the look or goal for this car. It does track very well, no wondering, with proper alignment. Same goes for the exhaust, a performance part or design available at the time. I think at the time, there were only a few options. I think if you were looking to gain performance, you might at the time looked to Porsche for some inspiration.

Thanks for the comments, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me.

JKBagley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

The engine looks great to me. The period refinements reflect a great deal of deep research and clean execution. A cool way to save a classic car...
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:

The tire choice was based on a size that might be available in late 50's to early 60's. I'm sure they are a little spongy, but so is the suspension. A low profile tire would help stiffen it up, but that's not the look or goal for this car. It does track very well, no wondering, with proper alignment. Same goes for the exhaust, a performance part or design available at the time. I think at the time, there were only a few options. I think if you were looking to gain performance, you might at the time looked to Porsche for some inspiration.

Yes, you are correct, there are not many choices wrt performance exhausts for these types of vehichles.
If the car is steady in its tracks as is, good. Of course the choice of sidewall layers do have an impact on that. Didīnt think that far when I wrote earlier. Dependant on how "spongy" Laughing you like the suspension, I/we often replace at least the rear shocks with Koni Classics to get better control over the rear end. But maybe we already covered that in the previus pages, I donīt know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

I absolutly adore your car and engine!

The 356 oil filler, does the vent tube "just" ends on top of the heater box or do you have another solution? (Kind of dark to see).
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Big_E_Deluxe wrote:

Yes, you are correct, there are not many choices wrt performance exhausts for these types of vehichles.
If the car is steady in its tracks as is, good. Of course the choice of sidewall layers do have an impact on that. Didīnt think that far when I wrote earlier. Dependant on how "spongy" Laughing you like the suspension, I/we often replace at least the rear shocks with Koni Classics to get better control over the rear end. But maybe we already covered that in the previus pages, I donīt know.

Yes, I'm running Koni Red "Classics" front and rear. Rear torsion bar was replaced with a 24mm Sway-a-Way. Larger front sway bar as well. Ride is stiffer, reduced roll, with plenty of suspension travel, not harsh. Enjoyable on longer drives, and handles better. Rear also has a restored Empi Chamber Compensator.

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
I absolutly adore your car and engine!

The 356 oil filler, does the vent tube "just" ends on top of the heater box or do you have another solution? (Kind of dark to see).

Yes, it needed to be cut short to avoid lower tin. I used this filler before I did the recent engine work, no issues with oil here.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:

Yes, I'm running Koni Red "Classics" front and rear. Rear torsion bar was replaced with a 24mm Sway-a-Way. Larger front sway bar as well. Ride is stiffer, reduced roll, with plenty of suspension travel, not harsh. Enjoyable on longer drives, and handles better. Rear also has a restored Empi Chamber Compensator.

You have been listening at the kitchen table Very Happy Good.
vwchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Love the engine work and the details like those grommets for the plug wires. I love your updates, always so thorough with great pictures. Keep them coming.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Really nice job, Erik. Love the details you've added.

And as great as it looks I'm curious to hear your impression of the Zeniths over the WW Solex repops once you get it installed and dialed in. I bet it's going to feel like a completely different engine. I love the performance of the 36 DRLA's on mine.
Matheus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Beautiful Beetle... I'm really curious about performance of this little engine.. how much rpm's you have intention to spin?
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Matheus wrote:
Beautiful Beetle... I'm really curious about performance of this little engine.. how much rpm's you have intention to spin?

Thank you! I don't take it over 4,500 rpm. I'm sure I could go more.

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Engine is in! Overall fit is tidy, but not too snug. I installed engine with fan shroud and carbs removed. Manifolds were in place and cleared chassis. No issues during install other then accelerator cable is tough to attach, but I got it after a few tries. This was expected. Still some fine tuning to be done on carbs, but it's idling and accelerating well. I wouldn't say current acceleration is necessarily different over WW Solex carbs, but it seems to run stronger and smoother. It feels like top end will be increased.

Wiring was cleaned up over previous "Okrasa" setup, organized and less visible.

Monday Max is getting an alignment because of the recent front end work. Looking forward to putting some miles on this new setup. Deck lid is back on and I was able to do a nice wash and detail today.

All is good.

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Fri May 15, 2020 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

I love it!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: