Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Outlaw Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Very impressive! Perfect stance. Do you have a video of the engine running so we can hear the sound of the vintage outlaw power? You could honestly get away with a "1400 SUPER" badge due to the actual displacement. Cool

Thank you!

I thought of that, 1400 SUPER, and may do it in the future. The idea was to show were it came from....it's origins.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Wed May 30, 2018 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Pictures of the stroked 36hp long block built by Joe Ruiz. 1958 case, 69.5mm crank x 80mm P/C. Mr Okrasa spec. cam. Wolfsburg West Okrasa Heads & Carbs, reworked by Joe. Gene Berg deep sump.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Final engine assembly and metal work by Colby @ Monkey Nut VW.

Items that have been replaced since pictures.....ISP OT pulley and Speedwell valve covers. Pulley replaced with a Speedwell "Denzel" pulley and valve covers changed to VW 36hp vented covers. ISP pulley may have contributed to small oil leak at seal, but not certain. Speedwell pulley has the same dimensions as stock pulley, ISP does not. Vented valve covers were added to solve leak at pulley as well. Balanced and welded fan by Jason Eggum (Samba member).

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Wed May 30, 2018 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Wow, super nice car!

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
Rear castle nut needs to be a early Porsche to clear teeth on rear axle.

I'm not sure what is different, could you explain it further?
Is it shorter in length or ?

Everett, Thank you!

From what I've read and learned during the install is that the rear 356B drum does not cover all the axle teeth like a stock VW drum, a small portion is exposed. From what I understand, early Porsche 356's used VW axles, so Porsche needed a different castle nut that had a beveled area on the back side of the nut to clear the exposed teeth. I believe it also has a larger outer diameter too. This would allow the nut to seat properly on the drum and not torque down on the teeth. You can use a VW castle nut, but you'll need a washer, not ideal. I'm not an expert, please let me know if I have this incorrect. So far it is working properly.
Here's a Porsche castle nut......

Got it - I understand perfectly now.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Wow I see (I think) that in order to run the 69.5 crank you have to do some rework of the cylinder and engine tins. I never considered this.

Beautiful car btw!
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Wow I see (I think) that in order to run the 69.5 crank you have to do some rework of the cylinder and engine tins. I never considered this.

Beautiful car btw!

Thank you!

Yes, there was a little bit of tweaking needed to make them fit right. I don't know if this is always the case though.

gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

How do you like the Pirelli tires? A dealer in England claims that they're very good if you like to do a lot of twists and turns.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
How do you like the Pirelli tires? A dealer in England claims that they're very good if you like to do a lot of twists and turns.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I don't know yet, it's still in the shop getting the last few things resolved. Haven't driven it since we started outlaw project. I plan to give reviews on as much as possible (engine, brakes, tires, etc...).

There is a dealer in CA that sells the CN36's.

Lucas Classic Tires: https://www.lucasclassictires.com/

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:

Not sure I'm following you; I think his tin mods were to clearance for the Okrasa-style dual port intakes and to fill the heat riser openings in the breast plate, neither due to the stroker crank. On the shroud they probably filled the wire clip holes, choke hole, repositioned the coil mount, etc.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
fl59bug wrote:

Not sure I'm following you; I think his tin mods were to clearance for the Okrasa-style dual port intakes and to fill the heat riser openings in the breast plate, neither due to the stroker crank. On the shroud they probably filled the wire clip holes, choke hole, repositioned the coil mount, etc.

Ok, sorry for my confusion there - I guess the increased stroke really only amounts to around 2 tenths of an inch, not enough to make the engine that much significantly wider to where the original tins would need to be "lengthened" Smile

I thought at first it looked in the pictures like the cylinder cover seams were rewelded further away from the outboard edge. Makes sense though that the reworking is due to the manifolds and head dual port openings.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
fl59bug wrote:

Ok, sorry for my confusion there - I guess the increased stroke really only amounts to around 2 tenths of an inch, not enough to make the engine that much significantly wider to where the original tins would need to be "lengthened" Smile

I thought at first it looked in the pictures like the cylinder cover seams were rewelded further away from the outboard edge. Makes sense though that the reworking is due to the manifolds and head dual port openings.

Actually I believe you're both correct. Pete, when Joe built my long block he installed custom barrel spacers for the 80mm P/C's to get the proper deck height. These barrel spacers push the heads outward a little, not much. Not sure if he had to do this on your long block or not. I think it's possible to leave the cylinder tins as is, but the guys at Monkey Nut VW wanted a nice tight fit for good airflow. Also, I do remember needing to verify exhaust port spacing from left to right so the exhaust would fit, because the heads moved outwards. I will confirm.

mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Very nicely done...

Love the brake setup.

Are you adding any numbers or logos?

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
fl59bug wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
fl59bug wrote:

Actually I believe you're both correct. Pete, when Joe built my long block he installed custom barrel spacers for the 80mm P/C's to get the proper deck height. These barrel spacers push the heads outward a little, not much. Not sure if he had to do this on your long block or not. I think it's possible to leave the cylinder tins as is, but the guys at Monkey Nut VW wanted a nice tight fit for good airflow. Also, I do remember needing to verify exhaust port spacing from left to right so the exhaust would fit, because the heads moved outwards. I will confirm.

I understand now. When discussing my engine build with Joe I recall him mentioning his combinations NOT making the engine wider, but to be honest now I’m not sure if he was talking about the 80 x 69.5 or his 1500 80 x 74 (and his preference for Porsche crank/rods/pistons over DPR modified crank, H beam rods, etc). It probably was the later combo he was touting as not “growing” the engine. FWIW I don’t think Franz has added any width to my tin setup. I think the VS exhaust I have for it is advertised as having .2” adjustment for striker motors.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Such clean work on the engine and tins!

Did Joe machine (spot-face) the right case perimeter to fit large-head M8 nuts and thick washers, like the GeneBerg modification on later cases?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Very nice. Absolutely love the look. Exactly what I’d like for my 64.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

mkbug wrote:
Very nicely done...

Love the brake setup.

Are you adding any numbers or logos?

Thanks! Very Happy I've thought about it, but probably not. Clean & simple.

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
I understand now. When discussing my engine build with Joe I recall him mentioning his combinations NOT making the engine wider, but to be honest now I’m not sure if he was talking about the 80 x 69.5 or his 1500 80 x 74 (and his preference for Porsche crank/rods/pistons over DPR modified crank, H beam rods, etc). It probably was the later combo he was touting as not “growing” the engine. FWIW I don’t think Franz has added any width to my tin setup. I think the VS exhaust I have for it is advertised as having .2” adjustment for striker motors.

Pete, your engine is looking great! Engine tin fitment is perfect. I want to do my carb setup bad, but I don't want to leave the 58 in the shop any longer, haha.

I wish I knew the answer to this question, maybe Joe or Colby will post up with the correct answer in the future. I definitely don't what to give the wrong info. Engine building is not my expertise, far from it.

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Thu May 31, 2018 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Such clean work on the engine and tins!

Did Joe machine (spot-face) the right case perimeter to fit large-head M8 nuts and thick washers, like the GeneBerg modification on later cases?

Sorry Rome, I don't know the answer to this question. Hoping Joe will jump on here at some point and answer some of these questions. It's funny how much I've learned during the engine build process, but still don't know the half of it.

VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
fl59bug wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
fl59bug wrote:

I did all of the tin work on this engine. I knew it was stroked, but honestly I just find it easier to do all of the fits/ mods necessary with the tins split like that. There are only 10 or 12 spot welds holding the three pieces together.

It got some heater boxes narrowed up too, to fit around the Vintage Speed exhaust, and retain some "correct" airflow, as well as pushrod tube protection

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

^^^Nice work...the heater box mod is great! 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: