Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Outlaw Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Texbug wrote:
Hi Erik,
Where did you find these castle nuts? I’ve been looking for some like you have pictured but haven’t been able to find. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Mike

Tex, I recently picked up another really nice set from Parts Heaven. Another good source to keep watching for nice used 356 parts. Always looking, gotta keep your eyes peeled. Smile

Link: www.partsheaven.com

Also, saw this as well, but I'm not sure if the rear has the bevel that is needed. Link: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/64433227100...AcQAvD_BwE

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Texbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Dang it! Sad
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
Albertoprop17 wrote:
Simply awesome. What a cool car!!

That's my goal on my '54 oval. Now I installed an adjustable beam with stock spindles, caster shims and a sway bar, and raised the car a bit (before it has dropped spindles, too much drop). Set the koni shocks at the softest setting, installed the 165's again (before 145's because it has rubbing problems).

Now the car handles!! Next step is install 58-64 drums (thicker brake pads) and maybe some 356 style wheels, like yours.

Next will be a vintage speed inspired 1835cc, 4,12 trans, black mamba shifter and a power brake system.

Again, I love your car, is an inspiration for my build!!

Sounds cool. Post up a picture, would love to see it. I messed with the Koni's a bit and also found that the softest setting felt the best. Good to see that you felt the same way. Good luck on your future upgrades, keep us posted. BTW, I saw your post on the control arms, very interesting. I've never seen those before. E

I will open a new thread when I made the changes on the car. I want to change a lot of things, but I need to earn some money before Rolling Eyes

Here are some photos of how it's sitting now

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's kind of a racing superbeetle there behind with the same build purposes...

I will replace the usa bumpers and the tailinghts for the euro bumpers ant the heart tail lights. The actual wheels are okay but I want something more sporty, like 356 or 911 steelies in grey.

Maybe yelow headlights and vintage bucket seats, the original ones are like a sofa Laughing

I will tell everything else on other thread, I don't want to write the bible here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

You should really start your own thread for your car. This is about his car...and that's why most of us are following his thread.
When I read this update...it's really confusing and clogs up something that he has taken the time to detail what he has done with his car over the past few months. Hope you understand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
You should really start your own thread for your car. This is about his car...and that's why most of us are following his thread.
When I read this update...it's really confusing and clogs up something that he has taken the time to detail what he has done with his car over the past few months. Hope you understand.

It's ok, I asked for the photos, I wanted to see it. I think any information we can share on our similar builds is fine.

Albertprop17, nice setup.....keep it going. The stance looks right.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

I recently had an accelerator cable break up front by the pedal. I've always felt there had to be a better design over the stock attachment, that had a smoother range of motion, no binding and easy to fix if it ever did break again.

After doing some research, here is what I found.....

I found an Empi (see photo, item #1) product that has a set screw for a raw cable end and ball joint pivot mount for the pedal. Purchased from www.cip1.com. I have been using this Empi part for awhile now without any issues. I'm using a X-Celerator Speed Wheel Pedal upgrade (search Samba classifieds) and the 2 of them work great together. There is very little slop in the pedal and throttle response and feel is smooth. The only thing I don't like about the Empi part is the length of cable the set screw is holding. It's very short about 1/8". Even though I've been driving it with this setup, it doesn't give me much confidence for a long term solution. So with some more research I found another set screw cable end (see photo, item #3) that had a little more cable insert length. It has about 1/4" of cable insert. This is an improvement over the Empi part but still not a great long term solution. Just another thing in the mix that could loosen up. I have another idea for this longer set screw tip, more on that in a second.

The best solution in my mind is to have a permanent threaded tip swagged onto a cable with a ball joint pivot mounted to the pedal assembly. Something similar to a Porsche 356. After many days of looking, I found someone who could make one for me (see photo, item #2) . They also had a smaller ball joint pivot that is removable. I have not installed it yet, but will do it soon. This combination of parts is also the shortest in length of the 3 options. The only modification needed is to shorten the amount of cable tubing exiting the chassis tunnel. Once you do this, there is plenty of room for this cable end assembly to move freely. The ball joint pivot allows for full range of motion without binding. Like I said before, my pedal assemble is not stock, so I'm not sure how it will work in that situation, but I think it would be OK and should be considered. I also think this would be a great setup for a bus.

Now back to the set screw cable tip....if by chance my permanent threaded swagged tip breaks off again, I can simply replace it with the set screw cable end,(same thread size to fit ball joint pivot) and attach the existing cable end that is already in the beetle. Nice easy road side fix without getting under the car to insert a new cable. Just loosen the carburetor nut at cable, free up some more cable length towards the pedal and insert into set screw cable tip. Hopefully I won't have to try it out, but just in case I do I'll be back on the road without too much drama.

I will update once it's installed and I have some miles on it. This is something I'm thinking of selling. Cable length would be made to order, so the bus guys could benefit as well. I have a friend who will be installing one as well. Hopeful he will have some positive feedback as well.

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

I'm definitely interested!
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Great car and thread! I like the progressive refinements as well as the documentation of you enjoying the car. Keep it rolling...

Inspiring for my build.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Custom accelerator cable is installed. I have about 320+ miles planned tomorrow, we'll see how it holds up.

Update (1/29/19) 320+ miles driven and it performed like it should, no issues.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

^Nice Erik. Still holding up well?

I really need to get mine installed...maybe I'll tackle that this weekend.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
^Nice Erik. Still holding up well?

I really need to get mine installed...maybe I'll tackle that this weekend.

Pete, almost 500 miles since install, no issues. I did trim a little more of the rubber mat in this area, just to make sure there was no interference. Confident it will last a long time, a nice upgrade to our pedal setup.

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

A new exciting addition to the '58.......

A pair of custom fog light covers for my Bosch "script" fog lights. These are a one-off design by Pedro Campuzano. He was gracious enough to sell me his prototype set after seeing my car at a local show here in Charlotte, NC. They are so well made you would think Bosch had actually made these back in the day. I love em! He made them for his similar Bosch fogs mounted on his beautiful '68 Mercedes Benz. I believe this set is at least 5 years old now and they look excellent.

The cover was 3D printed in a nylon material. The strap is rubber and keeps the cover firmly in place over the lens. Bosch "script" is raised and my favorite detail.

I also added the headlight stone guards. These are reproductions, but are the better looking lower profile design, in my opinion. Maybe someday, I'll get a pair of vintage stone guards with the TENAX mounts. In the meantime, these will do the trick.

JWDII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Those fog light covers a great Erik! Stone guards look the part also.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Lots of guys slather their cars in add-ons and make them look gaudy and obnoxious. The stuff you are adding makes the car look the part, very clean and it all flows together. Awesome additions! Those plastic covers are sick! Great craftsmanship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Lots of guys slather their cars in add-ons and make them look gaudy and obnoxious. The stuff you are adding makes the car look the part, very clean and it all flows together. Awesome additions! Those plastic covers are sick! Great craftsmanship.

Thanks, I'm trying to keep it in check. It's very easy to add too much stuff.

Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

This inspires me for my '56.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

No big updates other than it's running great! Custom accelerator cable is working as it should. I have some future tweaks in the works (engine & suspension). Updates hopefully coming soon.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Superb photo!
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

awesome awesome, very nice picture. And the stance and the 185/70R15's all around is something that would not have come up in my mind as most people run a narrow/tall setup. I am curious after your engine and suspension updates, can't wait to see the car on the dyno, it is screaming for it...
keep on building mr!
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Some new parts for Max: Adjustable spring plates from Transporter Haus Uk. We’ve had a hard time getting the rear level, side to side (3x re-indexed no luck). This should do the trick. And a reproduction Pre A Super oil filler from Stefi. More coming soon....

A recent visitor to my garage...a killer ‘53 Porsche 356. Good looking pair! Wish it was staying.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: