Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Outlaw Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
vwchad wrote:
Eric,

How's that engine doing in yours? Haven't seen any more updates.

Cheers,
Chad

Chad, engine is running great! Starts right up and idles perfectly after sitting a few days. Previous setup would require some time to heat up before it would hold idle. Not sure why this changed, but I'm thinking it was the carbs. I've been driving longer and longer drives just to make sure it's good. No leaks! Very dry up top and below. Very happy with the results so far. Appears to be running cooler with new aluminum oil cooler (this is good since they are not cheap!). Temps were not an issue, but I do see a difference in time to temp and how quickly temps change or recover based on how hard I'm driving.

What oil cooler have you mounted?
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Peter_Plade wrote:
Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
vwchad wrote:
Eric,

How's that engine doing in yours? Haven't seen any more updates.

Cheers,
Chad

Chad, engine is running great! Starts right up and idles perfectly after sitting a few days. Previous setup would require some time to heat up before it would hold idle. Not sure why this changed, but I'm thinking it was the carbs. I've been driving longer and longer drives just to make sure it's good. No leaks! Very dry up top and below. Very happy with the results so far. Appears to be running cooler with new aluminum oil cooler (this is good since they are not cheap!). Temps were not an issue, but I do see a difference in time to temp and how quickly temps change or recover based on how hard I'm driving.

What oil cooler have you mounted?

This oil cooler...... https://www.airflow-systems.com/category/motorsports-oil-coolers/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

After reading the Hot VWs Shin Watanabe '58 bug engine build I wanted that oil cooler but they are always out of stock Sad
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Max Update.....5750 miles on odometer now.

I've had no issues with latest carb upgrade. Approximately 1100 miles driven with Zenith 32 NDIX carbs. They provide smooth consistent power and sound great. Cold start-ups are no problem and they maintain a nice idle, cold & hot. I usually take Max out for 4-5 short drives during the week. One recent 180 mile drive, with an average speed of 70 mph, that was flawless. I had a few minor oil leaks prior to new carb setup, that appear to be all sorted now. Simple fixes that were located with the use of oil dye (thanks Pete!). Carb linkage and throttle cable are working like they should.

Nothing new planned for Max in the short term. Just driving Very Happy

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Eric,

Your car is just perfect.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Max looks perfect! Glad it’s all sorted and humming along.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Eric, I just read this entire thread and want to thank you for posting all the details as you've built and modified Max! I recently stumbled across a 57 ragtop that was amazingly close to yours (many period type mods including 356 normal engine, "B" brakes, narrowed and dropped beam, etc...) that was for sale. More $$$ than I had budgeted for but the seller had original brakes and a later 36 hp engine included. We struck a deal; he's buying the P parts back, and allowing me to do the swap in his well equipped garage. Having been away from VWs for about 40 years I've been wondering about the kinds of challenges I'd run into and your thread has been very helpful! I'm in the process of having a vintage speed stroker big bore long block built by Joe and can't wait to get it set up, dialed in and running. Thanks again for posting. Your car is amazing!
oldtimercraiova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Love this '58! Embarassed
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

5500 wrote:
Eric, I just read this entire thread and want to thank you for posting all the details as you've built and modified Max! I recently stumbled across a 57 ragtop that was amazingly close to yours (many period type mods including 356 normal engine, "B" brakes, narrowed and dropped beam, etc...) that was for sale. More $$$ than I had budgeted for but the seller had original brakes and a later 36 hp engine included. We struck a deal; he's buying the P parts back, and allowing me to do the swap in his well equipped garage. Having been away from VWs for about 40 years I've been wondering about the kinds of challenges I'd run into and your thread has been very helpful! I'm in the process of having a vintage speed stroker big bore long block built by Joe and can't wait to get it set up, dialed in and running. Thanks again for posting. Your car is amazing!

Thanks Ed! Sounds like you found a good Beetle to start with. Hope you were able to keep the B brakes at the very least, they work really well. Joe builds a very nice engine, you will enjoy it. Good luck with your build! Erik

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

absolutely wonderful car! one of, if not my favorite, vintage speed beetles out there Very Happy

I'm glad you went with the NDIX's and are happy with them! I wish I could go for a ride.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

sled wrote:
absolutely wonderful car! one of, if not my favorite, vintage speed beetles out there Very Happy

I'm glad you went with the NDIX's and are happy with them! I wish I could go for a ride.

Thanks for the compliment! Yes, I'm glad I went with the NDIX carbs too. I've heard they are difficult to work with, but they have been awesome. They are super clean and completely rebuilt, so I'm sure that helps. Very Happy

johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

That's a stunner you have there. It was interesting to read your comments about the Zenith carbs, as I have a set that I've had in storage for 35 years, and will get rebuilt and put to use next year.
Matchewsboobies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Hi Eric, Max is an awesome car and you gave me the inspiration to build my own "58 Outlaw". Remember, imitation is most sincere form of flattery!

I have a question for you, after many months sourcing all the parts for the 356 brake conversion. I finally found the time to carry out the work.

The brakes work great but I have found that I have too much travel in the brake pedal. (apologies if I missed the info in your posts). I am assuming that I need a different sized master cylinder? Did you change your cylinder? If so, would you mind sharing with me the cylinder you used?

Many thanks

Matt
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Matchewsboobies wrote:
Hi Eric, Max is an awesome car and you gave me the inspiration to build my own "58 Outlaw". Remember, imitation is most sincere form of flattery!

I have a question for you, after many months sourcing all the parts for the 356 brake conversion. I finally found the time to carry out the work.

The brakes work great but I have found that I have too much travel in the brake pedal. (apologies if I missed the info in your posts). I am assuming that I need a different sized master cylinder? Did you change your cylinder? If so, would you mind sharing with me the cylinder you used?

Many thanks

Matt

Hey Matt, Thanks for the compliment!

We did upgrade to a dual master cylinder, but I don't remember which one we used. Also, all of the drums were relined to factory new spec, along with all new parts when possible. I've had no brake problems other than a brake line issue.

Matchewsboobies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Eric.

I did the same and replaced with all new parts except the back plates. I also purchased 4x very well restored drums from Martin Willis including shoes. I must say that Martin produces top notch work and a great service. Would definitely use him again.

I will try a bigger cylinder and hopefully, if I'm correct, pushing more fluid will make the travel less. I do get confused with brake cylinder sizes so anyone please chirp in if I have it wrong : )
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Matchewsboobies wrote:
thanks for the reply Eric.

I did the same and replaced with all new parts except the back plates. I also purchased 4x very well restored drums from Martin Willis including shoes. I must say that Martin produces top notch work and a great service. Would definitely use him again.

I will try a bigger cylinder and hopefully, if I'm correct, pushing more fluid will make the travel less. I do get confused with brake cylinder sizes so anyone please chirp in if I have it wrong : )

Yes, Martin does great work, he did mine as well. I will see if I can find out what master cylinder we used.

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Cool Update:

Honored to have Max featured in the latest July issue of HotVW's! Vintage Special with some really nice cars, check it out.

Honestly never thought this would happen. Max is not a trailer queen or a show car, he's a driver. I just wanted to build something fun to drive, so it's cool to see that the guys at HotVW's appreciated it enough to share in print. Thanks Shin!

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Thats dope! I think every vw enthusiast needs to see this car!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cande83821
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Erik, this is exactly the type of cars I like to see in VW Magazines.
Cars that are enthusiast built and cars that have character and can be driven daily, I mean spirited driving too! Your car is just that. Congrats on the coverage. Well deserved. Thanks Shin for showcasing this awesome ride!
1966 Sea Sand Sunroof #2 Gone
1955 Hardtop Semaphore Oval #2 Smile
1966 Sea Sand Sunroof #3 Smile
1958 L41 Black Vert Smile

Precious metal...Vintage VW's
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Very well deserved article in the magazine! Sure can tell that it been a labor of love rather that just showing off how much money can be spent. Congrats! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: