Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Dual Carbs deliver more Torque than Larger on Stroker?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Small Dual Carbs deliver more Torque than Larger on Stroker? Reply with quote

Hello, looking for some info to maybe verify what I have read and heard on how a smaller carb can deliver more torque than a large carb at low RPM's?

Thing is, from what I know, is that a smaller carb can flow better with the corresponding valve size than a larger carb at low RPM's do to a larger carb can run richer I believe at low RPM's. That is if I have it right.

Thing is, I do know a larger carb can flow better at high RPM's(above 5,000 RPMs), for a smaller carb can starve the engine for fuel. But in my situation, I am not looking for high RPM's, above 5,500 RPMs, but verifying more torque can come from the smaller carb at low RPM's..

So, what have y'all heard and read? True? Hope y'all are having a good day.. RB

Last edited by RailBoy on Sun May 27, 2018 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

There are going to be more educated replies to explain the why to you you I am sure. My understanding is that the appropriately sized carb to your engine displacement, cam choice, and valve size will create better throttle response and give a smoother running and transitioning engine throughout your power band. It has do do with not only venturi sizing, but also throat sizing butterfly sizing and vacuum being pulled. A lot of flow dynamics of which I am not qualified to speak to. The answer to your question though, will most likely be yes, if your engine combo is built by a power band below 5500-6000rpm you will likely not need a big carb. Your terms are relative/subjective though. Please give more information on your intended engine combo, heads/valve sizing, stroke, bore, cam selection, and the wealth of knowledge here can help size your carb.

Cheers!
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

Carb sizing is traditionally determined by flow. Larger displacement means more flow, all else being proportional. Since the piping of your intake is not continuously varying in size, flow CAN be determined by your manifold and exhaust. Ideally these items when properly designed are made such that they agree with the potential of your motor CC, head, cam, etc.

Carbs also do not continuously vary in size except for "progressives". Let's limit our talk to single barrel per runner types for simplicity's sake.

For a street car that must perform well up to 4 or 5k rpm you want a carb size that will see good vacuum to pull fuel from all its circuits properly in the "low" rpm range. Too small and you lose top end. Too big and low end becomes untuneable. Yes, flow velocity must be kept within an ideal threshold for the carb to work its "best".

Personally I prefer to err on a fractionally smaller size than larger.

I once ran a 30 pict 2 on a 1600. Great throttle response but jetting was way off for such large vacuum on that engine.

I'm looking forward to read what ray, modok, alstrup and dave have to say on this.

-Frank
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

Frank, not trying to be a you know what, and I do recognize that our carbs that we typically use do not vary in size. Just for some info for those that may not be aware there are carbs with variable venturi's. You may know this but just want to out it out there.
atticus finch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Hello, looking for some info to maybe verify what I have read and heard on how a smaller carb can deliver more torque than a large carb at low RPM's?

Thing is, from what I know, is that a smaller carb can flow better with the corresponding valve size than a larger carb at low RPM's do to a larger carb can run richer I believe at low RPM's. That is if I have it right.

Thing is, I do know a larger carb can flow better at high RPM's(above 5,000 RPMs), for a smaller carb can starve the engine for fuel. But in my situation, I am not looking for high RPM's, above 5,500 RPMs, but verifying more torque can come from the smaller carb at low RPM's..

So, what have y'all heard and read? True? Hope y'all are having a good day.. RB

Correct, a smaller carb can create a better torque curve than a larger carb on most any given engine.
The reason is simple, intake velocity. Nothing to do with jetting, it is due to the velocity of the air going through the carb and the resulting velocity of the air / fuel mixture within the intake tract.
If you take a given engine, rev it to whatever rpm, it's going to pull a certain amount of air.

A smaller carb on a given engine will reach a higher velocity much sooner than a larger carb on the same engine at that given rpm owing to the air has to pass through a smaller opening (venturi size) than a larger carb (larger venturi). Therefore in order to pull the same amount of air as a larger carb at a given rpm, air has to move faster to equal the flow.

How does this create a better torque curve? The faster the airflow within the intake tract, the better the volumetric efficiency within the cylinder, on average. There are other factors involved but all else being equal, one of the major factors, if not the biggest factor is intake velocity and it's direct effect on volumetric efficiency or in simpler terms the cylinders ability to fill itself with intake mixture.

The drawback to this is a smaller carb will not be able to flow the same amount of air at higher rpm as would the larger carb. At some point the smaller carb (smaller venturi) will not be big enough to flow enough air to equal what the larger venturi would be able to flow, hence the engines potential HP capabilities (how much air can it effectively flow at higher rpm) will be restricted somewhat.

Right now I'm running a PICT 30-1 (non stock jetting) on a stock single port 1600, the difference in the torque curve from the 30/31 it had on it previously is drastic enough I can feel it while driving.

Does it choke out severely at higher rpm? perhaps, it'll still wind to 4500 rpm without hesitation although I rarely ever wind it that hard so whatever potential loss in higher rpm horsepower is no loss for my purposes.
The way it runs right now at & below 4000 rpm is exactly how I want it to run, just pulls a lot harder than before & immediate throttle response.

I had a datsun 510 wagon with the L16 engine in it (1600 cc) I changed that out to the L20b (2000 cc) & used the stock L16 carb on it.
Maybe on a dyno there would have been a detectable loss in HP at or approaching redline or something but seat of the pants the torque curve was day & night and the car pulled to stock redline without hesitation.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

You would get better air/fuel mixture at lower rpm and better throttle response with smaller carb but you wouldn't gain much velocity at the port especially on a stock PICT manifold. It's mainly the manifold and port that dictate the low speed torque characteristics of an engine.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

personal;y i think a lot of this is tuning issues or lack of tuning. yes you can over carb a engine,yes you can under carb a engine. funny thing diesels with thier massive tq are wide open....at idle and low and mid and wfo..... Shocked Confused i wonder how they even run like that Rolling Eyes . Build your engine to do what you want it to do. use the right parts for the intended application. there are intakes with long runners, short runners, big runners, useless humongus runners, small runners etc, pick the one that will do what works for the desired result not for the bragging rights and have a turd for driving pleasure and tuning headaches. dont use a 1 3/8 header on a 2332 and dont use a 2" header on a 1600. 6.9 cr may be fine for a turbo/forced induction but sucks for a NA engine. if your racing desert races dont build a F1 car...unless your at the road course in Austin...and if your racing at the road corse there you probably shouldent try to qualify a mud truck...unless the race is in the parking lot....after a monsoon...( Like gainsville fl in march 75% of the time, it is quite fun!!!).
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque that Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

Well, sorta.

You can get better throttle response, better airspeed through the venturi, and maybe a smaller volume in the intake manifold, and maybe as a result better atomisation...but there's more to it than that

What is torque? It's just an expression of the pressure produced by the combustion. So, in fact, your ability to produce high combustion pressures would be increased by using I.R. and 4 carb barrels, or fuel injecttion with long runners from the plenum.

The thing is this will affect how the throttle works: how much area is exposed vs. pedal movement, and that will change throttle response. But this is feel, not numbers, and the facts are thaat if you size your carburettors and venturis wisely, you will almost always get more torque from I.R.

then there's the quality of combustion, how much internal turbulence, how much entry turbulence, how much squish, shape of chamber, surface texture and area of the chamber, plug placement, whether the fuel has had to travel far or not, was it heated on the way or not, how finely was it atomized, how much was vaporized before it hit the chamber, how much after, etc...it all adds up to "torque"
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

All the replies have been in a positive direction that a smaller carb can deliver more performance do to the above. See, this is what I have read over the years, and like a nicely tuned Single on the right intake on a stroker can deliver more torque on a stroker as well. Or, did I hit on it with all the small carbs? OR, do the same telemetry aspects not reflect the same? Also, dual carbs vs. singles? RB
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

Don't take this to mean a smaller carb is better in all situations. You are simplifying the issue too much. You need the right carb for the right application. Duals, singles, sidedrafts, downdrafts, idf's, ida's, drla's, there is preference, performance, efficiency, airflow and on and on. Like Mark said get the carbs that work for the intended purpose. You can't just slap on a tiny carb. For an extreme example let''s say you customized a carb from an rc plane to a 1500 single port manifold. It would never run. Engine would be choked. Your carb can be too small and the performance will suffer.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

That's why a lot of bustn owners prefer the single port heads Razz
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

Your title should specify single small carb on a stroker, as thats what your description says.

If this is true, everyone should toss their dual carbs in favor of a single so they can get more torque.

Put a single 40 on your 2180 and see if your torque goes up😂
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque than Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

railboy you need to give all the engine details. Everybody thinks you are running a single carb or a stock carb.

There is no way a smaller carb can produce more HP or torque than the correctly sized carbs. A single carb will never produce more torque that a correctly sized and tuned set of dual 2 bbl carbs. If that were true then every racer would run a single carb on their race car.

The carbs you have now are too small for the engine combination you have.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Little Carb has more Torque that Large Carb on Stroker? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
your ability to produce high combustion pressures would be increased by using I.R. and 4 carb barrels, or fuel injection with long runners from the plenum.

and the facts are that if you size your carburetors , manifolds,and venturis wisely, you will almost always get more torque from I.R.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Small Dual Carbs deliver more Torque than Larger on Stroker? Reply with quote

Basically the info was covered above that I have seen over the years that a smaller vent carb can have more power at low RPMs meaning throttle response/feel than a larger carb at low RPM's.

Thing is on the Single, I believe I have seen that work for the Single Carb was on a 2110 that never saw RPM's above 5,000 RPMs really. And yes, it was in a Rail, but it did pull hard, like 0-60mph in under 4 seconds.

But yes, when it comes to a smaller vent carb on a stroker, the info has been covered above that I have seen vs. a carb with a next size up Vents.. And yes, I know valve size, cam, chambers, and all effect this, but just did not or do not know if it is a rule of thumb that this is true for most all applications pertaining to low vs. high RPM Stroker engines..

By the way, never said stock carb or stock engine, but example seams to still play..

Thanks for y'all's time.. RB
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Small Dual Carbs deliver more Torque than Larger on Stroker? Reply with quote

The carbs have to be set up correctly for the engine. Changing the vents in IDFs might as well be changing the carb completely. Velocity is one thing, jetting is another, as is the vacuum signature of the engine.

Is this a conversation we would be having about IR Fuel Injection? I don't think so. As long as the setup matches the application then it really doesn't really matter. The real problem is that most people don't stop to think about their application, they just go big and stay home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: