Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thermostat question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: thermostat question Reply with quote

can the ambient (outside) temperature affect the thermostat's ability to fully retract (i.e. if it is hot summertime temps outdoors) even if the engine is cold?
I ask because my thermostat is only about 2/3 fully retracted even though I haven't driven the car in a couple days.
I do see that the operating temp of the thermostat is 65-70°, so if it's 90° outside (like it is right now in NW Ark) will the thermostat simply not fully retract? It makes sense relative to the operation of the thermostat system I suppose, since the engine wouldn't need as long to warm up...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

And yes my thermostat/bracket setup is adjusted correctly... Wink

1600 SP engine
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Steve, when testing mine with a hair dryer (while in the bracket), I had to get that thing pretty darn hot to get it to start opening. I don’t think 90 F would prevent full retraction.

During my test, the thermostat retracted fully within 30 seconds.

The operating travel seems to be about 5/8 inch, if I remember correctly. Assuming your unit is not going south, remove it and check to see if the interior of the accordion folds are gunked up with a mixture of oil and grit. I doubt this is the issue, however, as I suspect that something in the linkage is preventing full retraction. Either way, a test with the unit removed, using a hair dryer, will let you know if it’s the thermostat.

If the thermostat tests good, it’s got to be something ganging up in the flaps or linkage.

If the thermostat is good, you simply have a little more cooling air being allowed at start up.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Sat May 26, 2018 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Yes it reacts to temperature of the air. On hot days it starts opening, as it is designed to.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Just clarifying, the thermostat operating range temps are in Celsius; 65C = 149F
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Brick wall

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

hanksjim1 wrote:
Just clarifying, the thermostat operating range temps are in Celsius; 65C = 149F

Good point. I guess 90° U.S. should not affect it.

1600 SP engine
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

The question is when do the flaps begin to open? What temp? I would think they would be partly open at @ 90 degrees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Frodge, 90 F won’t do squat. 149 F degrees (65 Celsius) starts the expansion. I just checked a good spare thermostat I have. The free space when cold in the bracket is closer to 1/2 inch than 5/8.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

OK drove the car about 10 minutes a few hours ago over to a buddy's house, then just drove back home now.
Thermostat already fully expanded:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and (by extension) cable pulling air cleaner snorkel flap completely open:

I would think it would have taken longer for the thermostat to fully expand... unless the hot weather does indeed cause it to expand a bit without the car on.

I'm going to drive it to work tonight and park it indoors after sundown, see if it retracts fully back to normal.

1600 SP engine
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Do you have an IR temperature gun? It would let you know what temperature it opens at, you would just need to watch it.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

He’s concerned at what the temperature is when it’s in the fully closed position.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
He’s concerned at what the temperature is when it’s in the fully closed position.

Tim

Right. Well sort of.
It's almost like when I installed the thermostat on the pushrod everything was fine (thermostat was fully retracted.) Then I installed the bracket making sure it was positioned so that the top of the thermostat was against the top of the bracket. I secured the bracket, then when I pulled down the thermostat (and pushrod) into place to bolt to the bottom of the bracket, the thermostat "expanded" a bit, as if it wasn't strong enough to stay fully retracted when I pulled it downward. As a result, the cable operating the flap in the air cleaner snorkel is not pushing that flap as closed as it should.
The thermostat DOES work, so even like this everything should be fine with regard to the cooling flaps being fully open when the engine is hot, and the flap in the air cleaner snorkel will be pulled fully open as it should be. I'm just wondering whether the slight "expansion" of the thermostat is being caused by it being hot outside (which it was when I installed it), or if it's too weak to handle the strain of the pushrod and cooling flaps.

1600 SP engine
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Pull it out and stick it in the freezer. It should fully retract.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

I can only recount my experience with my latest bug. All other acvw’s I’ve owned never had a thermostat—except my first KG (but I didn’t know what a thermostat was back then).

When I install my thermostat, I loosen the thermostat bracket, then push up on the thermostat until the flaps are fully open. The bracket, being loose, automatically goes up into the fully open position of the flaps. Naturally, the top of the thermostat is in contact with the top of the bracket. At this point, I tighten the bracket and pull the thermostat down and screw in the bottom bolt.

When I pull the thermostat down, it does not partially open. It just pulls down easily, and I screw the bolt into the bottom. The thermostat is fully “retracted”.

If your thermostat is stretching (partially opening) when pulling it down during adjustment, something is wrong. It should just pull down fairly easily, despite the resistance of the return spring on the flaps.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

If your thermostat is stretching (partially opening) when pulling it down during adjustment, something is wrong. It should just pull down fairly easily, despite the resistance of the return spring on the flaps.

Tim

I agree. When I pulled the thermostat down to bolt it to the bracket, I didn't notice right then whether or not it stretched a bit. I only noticed it a few hours later, after it had been sitting out in the hot sun. Thus my original question.
There was no snagging or hanging up when I pulled it down, it pulled down easily and secured into place just fine.
When I get home from work later tonight, with the cooler air temps, I'll check it again- then I can be fairly sure whether it's the thermostat or the ambient temperature.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

More weirdness- I let the car sit overnight, to make sure the thermostat would fully retract. It did not. I removed it and put it in the fridge as sugggested to make sure it would fully retract. It still has not. Compare to another good t-stat I have:

Seems very coincidental that it was fully retracted when I installed it, but the first few hours of use it went completely bad! Confused I suppose it's possible (as Tim suggested) that the pushrod ganged up on the cylinder head tin hole or something causing it to stay fully expanded, but it should have retractred once removed from the system unless it was permanently damaged in that scenario. Oh well- I guess it's toast. Hopefully the other one I have (shown in the picture above) is still good.

1600 SP engine
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Yeah, the bellows thermostats are getting so old they just start doing that. Mine got where they would hardly move at all. Had to go to the new wax thermostat but they fail too. We need to monitor CHT.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Might be the thermostat folds are full of oil/dirt/sand built up. Could try cleaning it out...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Might be the thermostat folds are full of oil/dirt/sand built up. Could try cleaning it out...

Well I know that one is shot cause when I squeeze the bellows together some misty stuff comes spraying out the top! Surprised

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: