Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter issues
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Starter issues Reply with quote

What’s up guys and gals. I have a problem with my starter. I turn the key on and the starter kicks and it seems like the bendix is missing the flywheel. Every 3 or 4 tries it will crank over and start. I took this engine out and rebuilt it and I don’t remember taking any shims or anything out between the transmission housing or starter. I benched tested the starter and there is no teeth missing or bent on the flywheel. Is there supposed to be a shim or something? I bought this from someone who had it stored in their barn for 15 or 20 years so no help from them
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter issues Reply with quote

Update:
I don’t think this is the original transaxle. The one I have is AH110804 78.
This one has a bushing installed in it. The starter I have has only the bendix and no stem that would go into the bushing. Does anyone know the right starter I need. After searching, what I have found is very vague. I read that it belongs to a 1968 to 1972. Any help would be great
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Starter issues Reply with quote

That starter is correct. Probably needs to be serviced ?
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Starter issues Reply with quote

It is a different transaxle. Borrowed a karmann ghia starter from a buddy and it fired right up. Thanks anyways
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: