Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Ground Wire
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

Hey fellow Type 4 fans,

I have searched this board high and low but have not seen a good answer to this question...

I need to replace the thin ground wire with a brown sheath that comes from the floor to the battery (I think). It's pretty corroded. Anyone got an idea what a suitable replacement would be? It's a single-phase ground wire, I believe.

Thanks in advance,
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

Any stranded wire of the same gauge and insulation thickness will work. Let look in the book. I cant remember what it goes to. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

I guess it's for the diagnostic system?
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

Agree with Hulken, if the wire is thin and brown it should be for the VW Diagnosis system.
Two diagnostic wires were connected at the battery area:
-One brown at the negative pole
-One brown/white at the earth strap where it is connected to the body, just below the battery.
None of these wires has any meaning any more and can be left out (if you dont happen to have a Bosch VW Diagnosis Computer in your workshop of course Very Happy )

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

One of the wires.....yellow or brown with dashes on it that went to the diagnostic plug...was actually for the little float gauge in the original VW battery that gave a reading of the battery electrolyte level for the dealer diagnostic machine. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
One of the wires.....yellow or brown with dashes on it that went to the diagnostic plug...was actually for the little float gauge in the original VW battery that gave a reading of the battery electrolyte level for the dealer diagnostic machine. Ray

Yes Ray, thats the yellow/red one which was connected at the middle of the six battery cells.
As I remeber it there was no float, it just measured the voltage at the middle of the battery which should read half of the total voltage (which also was measured). If it was not half voltage the battery voltage was not equal for both sides and an error was reported by the diagnosis system, likely one or more cells were faulty.

//Lars S
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

Lol. So if the wire is in crap condition I can just remove it and the car will function as intended?

I was concerned the ground wire's poor condition was causing a short, but apparently that isn't the case.

Thanks!!!
Loren
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
Lol. So if the wire is in crap condition I can just remove it and the car will function as intended?

I was concerned the ground wire's poor condition was causing a short, but apparently that isn't the case.

Thanks!!!
Loren

If you mean the thin wires at the battery with colours as mentioned above they have no function any longer.
However I would not remove them, just tie them up - they are nice to use if you plan to fit a tach or an oil temp or oil pressure gauge since they all end at the diagnosis socket at the engine bay and you can use them for these sensors. Thanks to these surplus wires you already have ready wires from the coupe to the engine area..

Lars S
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

Thanks Lars!

So, to thicken the plot:
- Jumped the car. Started right up and idled fine.
- When I went to put the seat back down, the car hiccuped.
- When I got on the seat, the car flat died outright.

I'd taken those ground wires and gathered them together with electrical tape.

I am wondering if there is not a short that's caused when I sit in the seat... All connections appear to be sound. (Pics attached).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

There's also a thin wire (red?) connected to the positive terminal. I just moved my batteries up front to install my Porsche seats, and I left it unconnected.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

It looks like that red & black wire is shorting on the seat spring .
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

@vwoldbug - so is the answer then to wrap something around the seat spring? I don't know that they're as close as the pic indicates. As well, wouldn't the sheathing on the wires prevent this?

Much obliged,
Loren
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
@vwoldbug - so is the answer then to wrap something around the seat spring? I don't know that they're as close as the pic indicates. As well, wouldn't the sheathing on the wires prevent this?

Much obliged,
Loren

You should insulate the bare metal at the positive battery terminal!
This is dangerous - can easily cause a fire (ask me how I know)...
This is also probably why the car stalled....some bare metal under the seat shorted to the + terminal.

Your battery is missing a protection cover over the + terminal ...I can see the fitting holes for it on top of the battery. The protection should look similar to the one below...pls make something out of plastic material that protects the terminal. (The negative terminal can be left as it is).
Thanks!

//Lars S

This happened to me when I used a battery without protection fpr the positive terminal Evil or Very Mad

lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

Holy crap Lars! I do have a plastic cover over the positive terminal, just removed it to take the picture.

Notwithstanding that, do you see anything funky that might be resulting in a similar issue?

Thanks,
Loren
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
Holy crap Lars! I do have a plastic cover over the positive terminal, just removed it to take the picture.

Notwithstanding that, do you see anything funky that might be resulting in a similar issue?

Thanks,
Loren

It looks like the red/black wire att the + terminal have had a short...insulation on the shaft seems melted at a spot...does the plastic that you have cover also the shaft of the red/black wire?

///Lars S
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

It does cover that, though as my buddy Henry put it, "it looks like one of those things you get on a pizza to make sure the pizza doesn't get crushed by the top of the box."

Any idea how I could insulate the top of the battery/put something nonflammable atop it in order to prevent this?

I tried to start it yesterday - started fine, until I put the seat down and sat on it.

Thanks in advance,
Loren
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

Nothing under the seat should touch the top of the battery when seat down...if something does the small cover at the + terminal should protect it - no need to protect anything else i.e. no need for a top battery cover.
Maybe your battery is to high, mine is about 160mm and goes free even when seat down at its lowest position, how high is yours?

Lars S
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

I'll measure it. I think I need to get it towed back to my place so I can work on it!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

A couple of important things:

Even with the plastic cover on...if the seat springs contact that cover...it bends the wires.

That large red wire with the translucent insulation cover...the one that is burned...burned through from the INSIDE.

That is the wrong type of ring terminal connector.

If that is not a factory style barrel crimp.....meaning its teh kind that you use a normal pair of wire crimpers on that puts a "D" shaped indentation in the barrel....there is not enough metal to wire contact.

As the plastic cover gets squeezed down on top of it...it bends the barrel terminal inside and loosens the crimp because the ring terminal is clamped hard on the bolt and does not turn or give....so it bends the crimped section making it loose. On a smaller gauge wire this would not be a problem.

I will have to check...but if memory serves...and I may be wrong....but I think the proper terminal was a male flag type ring terminal clamped onto teh bolt in that position and the heavy black and red wire had a female insulated terminal on it. This makes it lay down in a lower profile.

My bet is that when you pull that red and black wire terminal loose you find that the crimp inside under that insulating cover is bent and not making tight contact with the red and black wire...so it got hot.

Ray
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Ground Wire Reply with quote

I like your thinking, Ray. I will see what I can find and try to modify this weekend.

Thanks!
Loren
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: