Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

alternator discharge
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marbles54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: alternator discharge Reply with quote

I have a trike with a 1776 engine. I noticed my volt gauge was only showing around 11.5. I stopped in O'Reily's & they tested the alternator and said it had a bad voltage regulator. This alternator was all but new with less than 3000 miles. I put a new alternator on and it also is showing 11.5. So I then put a new gauge on, 11.5. I have an oil cooler with a fan, it draws down a little with the fan running but then slowly builds back up to 11.5. It seems to keep the battery charged, just a little concerned about taking a long trip. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator discharge Reply with quote

Yeah with good wiring it should charge at 14 volts and the battery should rest at 12.6 volts. Most Bug alternators were internally regulated. Are you sure you aren't talking about a Generator? Have you wired an alternator to a generator regulator?

Generator Regulators:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch Solid State Generator Voltage Regulator:

1974 one year only vw bug alternator that used an external voltage regulator:

This photo shows the 3 prong connector used on the Motorola Alternator above: These externally regulated alternators will take an in-expensive universal voltage regulator cost about $15-$30 I think a Ford or a Jeep one of the 70's? I got one on e-bay works great!

marbles54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: alternator discharge Reply with quote

it's an alternator, 100%. it has an internal voltage regulator.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: alternator discharge Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:

Bosch Solid State Generator Voltage Regulator:

I want to know more about this.. lol, what is this? are those idiot lights by the regulator? what is plugged in using a standard power cord with an inline switch? is this a air compressor or generator engine? details man! Razz

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: alternator discharge Reply with quote

"tattooed_pariah" I sometimes just use what is at hand to test a new rebuild engine out of the car. It's good to always load a generator with a car battery those lights are wired like the dash lights. The switch & plug are the ignition switch to a 12-volt battery, not to a wall outlet.
Well, these alternators are not real expensive to rebuild they are really easy to take apart and even remove the dust caps from the bearings with an Exacto knife spray out the old grease with a cheap spray can carb cleaner and re-grease them with CV joint quality grease. The slip rings can be cleaned up probably what has happened is one brush has worn down. New! You may even be able to just change that brush with a generic alternator brush they file to size with sandpaper really easy.
Getting the 36mm nut off the fan usually takes an impact wrench (But only torque it to 39 f/lbs putting it on.) keep track of where things go. Or use an exploded diagram of it when putting it back together. Alternators and Generators have the same shim and lock washer and nut pulley configuration, however, the Alternator uses a different stand to accommodate placement. Also, there are different fuel pumps and fuel pump rods the generator uses a longer rod. Alternator engines use later model fuel pumps. 1974 and later.
If you have a quality Bosch alternator it's worth rebuilding. If it's some off brand just get another at the Auto parts store. VW Alternators Type 1 and VW generators and Porsche 356 and VW 6 volt generators too all use the same bearings. VBX-6202 and VBX-6203 The cheap AB bearings are for alternators but you can get nicer ones. If the old bearings are rough turning even a little after clean and re-greasing, I would install new.
marbles54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator discharge Reply with quote

problem solved. turned out to be a bad battery cable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: